It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 04:45 PM   #1

Romany43 HB User
Post Pain under left rib..!! What is it? Anyone had this?

I have been getting pain in my upper left quadrant that seems to come in bouts. I can also feel pain in my shoulder and chest on the left side and I find that the pain is not there when I first wake in the morning..

This first started when I was under a lot of stress. It actually started in the lower left quadrant and is now in the upper. Sometimes the pain feels as though it is moving around. When the pain subsides the area becomes itchy and I sometimes get a strange tickling sensation in the left groin area as well.

Relaxing seems to help but it doesn't go away entirely. I am terrified of having tests so I would feel better going if I had at least some idea what it could be. It's been going on for about 4 months.

Has anyone had this? I do suffer from IBS and this pain seems to get worse when I am stressed..Please help..

Sue

Old 08-25-2003, 05:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Romany 43 i have the pain your talking about but always on the right ribcage area.Can you describe the pain?Is it achy, burning ,sore gnawing any of those.Also do you have any heartburng?I dont get the itchy or tickeling part.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 05:58 PM   #3

Romany43 HB User
I do get heartburn sometimes, but not often. The pain is like a constant ache, then sometimes sharp and then it goes tickly..it's strange. I am totally stressing over it now. It makes my shoulder ache and then the pain seems to rediate to other places..I am so scared about it. It's also strange that its not there when I wake up..what's your like?

Old 08-25-2003, 11:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Have you been tested for h.pylori?I had a gnawing pain sometimes sore pain underneath my right breastbone on my ribcage.It used to come and go for days or sometimes weeks.Then disappear and reappear at a later time.This time it came and it stayed 24/7.I was diagnosed with h pylori infection couple months ago.

------------------

Old 08-26-2003, 12:12 AM   #5

Romany43 HB User
I haven't been tested for that, no. What does the test entail? Did you get any other symptoms with that and how was it treated? Thanks for your help by the way...

Old 08-26-2003, 02:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Usually they give you a blood test.The gave me a blood test but it came back negative.The pain continued on, my family doc sent me to a gasto doc.He did and endoscopy and biopsy and it came back positive.I already have gerd and ibs so symptoms can get mixed up.
The gerd was being controlled by ppi's,but the other pain wasnt.They put me on antibiotics in a pk called prevpac for 2 weeks.Only problem is after the 2 weeks, the same symptoms came back again.Now the doctors dont seem to want to listen to me, that i dont think the antibiotics killed it .Dont need to be a brain surgeon to figure out if its the same symptoms as before then it must still be there ,or either they misdiagnosed it in the first place.Hope this helps.

------------------

Old 08-26-2003, 06:12 PM   #7

angelchaser HB User
Hi! I am experiencing the same thing except it is in both the right and left rib areas. I keep getting the run around but I think I am going to insist they check me for h. pylori, as I have suspected this the whole time!

Sue---- I also get the itchy feeling. It just comes one minute and goes the next right? Its sooo aggravating. I am 4 months pregnant, I have enough to deal with. :-)

Lisa

Old 08-26-2003, 08:16 PM   #8

Romany43 HB User
Yes, the itching is bizarre. I seem to get that only when the pain subsides.. I am starting to wonder whether I may have a hiatus hernia. That is about where the pain is...Isn't it strange that it goes when I sleep? I am starting to feel like a hypochondriac! Let me know how you go with the helicobacter test..

Old 08-26-2003, 08:34 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Angelchaser do you have any other symptoms?

Old 08-26-2003, 09:17 PM   #10

angelchaser HB User
Hi Suzyshop1!
Yes I do have other symptoms, they include: right rib pain (well discomfort really) left ribs as well, and it doesnt bother me, as Sue mentioned, while I am sleeping! When I get up in the morning, it doesnt really bother me right off but then within the first hour it starts in. Also I had what I felt was an ulcer below my sternum because I had all the symptoms, i.e, burning gnawing pain, worsened when I bent over or layed down, and it felt better when I ate. My OB put me on pepcid AC to see if that helped and it seems better but I still have a little reflux, so I went to my GP and he put me on prevacid.
But my GP also made me mad because when I told him of my discomfort he said " well you're pregnant, so theres not going to be much we can do!" That ticked me off. I am going to talk to my OB on the 10th of next month and see if they will do tests and see if I do indeed have h. pylori!

[This message has been edited by angelchaser (edited 08-27-2003).]

Old 08-27-2003, 11:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Been there done that. I have gerd going on 25 years now.Had it thru both of my pregancies Doctor told me the only antiacid i could take was and otc one called gaviscon.Made it thru both pregancies with only that.

------------------

Old 08-28-2003, 07:32 AM   #12

Romany43 HB User
I asked my doctor about h.pylori a long time ago and she said that it is not often a cause of ulcers, but I think she might be wrong there. I don't know much about it.

I have been in less pain today. I slept a bit better and had a soak in a hot bath, that seemed to help. Thanks Lisa and Suzyshop1 for your help and support. It's great to talk to people that understand. Can you tell me more about GERD?

Sue

Old 08-28-2003, 12:13 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Romany43 gerd can have many symptons or few symptoms.There are many ppl on this board who just experience the swallowing problem.Some ppl complain of heartburn not controlled by otc antiacids.These are the symptoms i know about.Sometimes tight feeling in back of throat.Swallowing alot ,sometimes sore throat.Burping, gas, acid regurgitating up into my throat.Pain in my chest sometimes spreading to my right back shoulderblade.Sometimes ppl who have gerd can also carry the h,pylori infection without knowing it .Take care

------------------

Old 08-28-2003, 12:16 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Ps Romany 43 i read that either h.pylori is cause by the hy.pylori bacteria or by nsaids.Do a search on h.pylori symptoms.

------------------

Old 08-31-2003, 07:13 AM   #15

Romany43 HB User
Hi Suzyshop1

Thanks for your reply. Maybe GERD is my problem, but I have finally made an appointment to see the doctor on Wednesday.

I neglected to mention on my original post that this problem started when I was with my brother and he was told that he had bowel cancer. He and I are very close and I took him to hospital and to most of his chemo sessions...it is like I am going through it as well.

When I went to the doctor with this in the beginning, she had a good feel around and said she could feel nothing, and given my history, she feels that the problem is psychosomatic. After about a month of being pain free, it came back again after I took my brother to his chemo session a couple of weeks ago..This sounds so weird. Have you heard of anything like this? Because I haven't.

Thank you for all your help..

Sue

Closed Thread