It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

joybdean HB User
Abdominal Pain Going on 6 months - Help Please!

Hello,

I'm new here and hoping someone can lend some suggestions to my abdominal pain.

It all started in February after eating a gyro salad. I felt extremely full - to the point of feeling like my stomach was going to push it's way up into my chest. Later that evening, I began to feel center abdominal pain, nausea, and had some loose stools. After a few days of this pain I made an appt with my GP. I had a stress test which was normal. He prescribed prevacid for acid reflux and it helped for maybe 4 days but then the pain was back along with constipation. I had a chest CT (by mistake, the dr had meant to order an abdominal u/s) which came back with a small nodule in my left lung and a good size nodule on my thyroid. Those two things are another story and are being followed up on. Over the next month or two the stomach pain decreased but was still there at times and I had lost approx 15 pounds, mostly from not eating those first weeks of pain. I went on to have the ultrasound which found nothing so I asked to see a gastroenterologist. She thought it was stomach and did an endoscopy which showed benign polyps. She said this would not be the cause of the pain. I was actually doing fairly well for the last few weeks but then last week Friday evening I started having almost constant nausea. Sunday and Monday I did have BMs, two almost constipated and then one looser. I did happen to register in my brain that Thursday and Friday before the nausea started I had had some high fat meals (burrito from Chipotle = high fat, burger and fries). It seemed to be better yesterday (Tuesday) until I went to a picnic with my daughter and had a hot dog and chips. The nausea started 4 hrs after the meal and has been with me ever since.

Does this sound like gallbladder? If it is gallbladder, is it possible for the pain to change like that - to go from the intense gripping center abdominal pain to constant nausea? Another thing...during that gyro meal back in Feb, ther ewas something sort of hard in the salad that crunched up when I chewed it - I should have spit it out to see what it was, but for some reason I didn't. Could it be possible that it was something I should not have eaten an dit is slowly (and I mean slowly) working its way through my system? Or would it have passed by now?

I do have an appt tomorrow with my GP again but I would like to know if I should be "prompting" for a HIDA scan or ???

Thanks so much - I'm getting very tired of being sick, as are my husband and daughter

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
(female)

paula43 HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain Going on 6 months - Help Please!

You have a lot going on so it's hard for anyone to give an opinion, not being a doctor. I will tell you that I had pains for years and many ultrasounds for gallstones all of which showed none. Finally, I went to a GI dr. who ordered a HIDA scan and sure enough, my gallbladder wasn't functioning well and I had it out.

As far as the possible reflux, they'd see that on an endoscopy, esophageal irritation. I have it and even on Prevacid, I wouldn't eat gyros, cheeseburgers, etc. Prevacid helps but not always 100%. The last endoscopy I had showed mild irritation and that's after being on Prevacid for 2 years. So I am still careful...and now after the gall bladder is out I have to be on lowfat anyway. For starters, try to eliminate fats and follow all the reflux guidelines, no acidic foods, nothing after 7 p.m., raising the head of your bed, no fatty foods, etc...you can look this up. I hope you feel better and maybe post the outcome after you get your results.

Old 07-28-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
(female)

joybdean HB User
Re: Abdominal Pain Going on 6 months - Help Please!

Hi Paula,

Thanks for replying.

Actually, I do not have acid reflux according to my endoscopy (unless it's possible to have it but not show any symptoms internally) I had only been on prevacid for one month - so I'm thinking I never had it in the first place and the pain was from something else.

I really wonder if it's possible to have passed a stone - can that pain last for weeks? Would they see something in the u/s if a stone had passed and if so, for how long? And maybe now the gallbladder just isn't functioning properly...

My appt is in an hour - we'll see what the GP has to say.

Thanks again.

Closed Thread