It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2003, 07:03 PM   #1

heavenisnevaeh333 HB User
Post food won't go down esophagus, what is the problem?

my friend has this problem. Every time she eats of drinks her food gets stuck in her esophagus and she usually has to regergitate it. If she is lucky enough to get it down then it will come back up. She is not bulemic. She just had surgery about two months ago to stretch out her esophagus and that didn't work and she doesn't know what else to do. I keep telling her to call her doctor but she keeps forgetting. Is this a disease? Why does her food get stuck? It is usually in her throat and when she does puke it's just the chunk that was stuck and not her whole meal. Please help me help my friend.

Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
(male)

sir-tainly HB User
If your friend had her esophagus stretched, then I'm assuming she's had the usual upper GI tests: Barium Swallow and Endoscopy which showed the need for dilation in the first place. She should definitely speak to her GI about the problem and let them investigate. Perhaps the dilation wasn't enough, or she is experiencing severe GERD, or some other problem has manifested itself. Only the GI will be able to give an accurate diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2003, 10:07 PM   #3

fudd HB User
Could be a few different things - has she had this problem her whole life or just recently? One disorder that comes to mind is esophageal achalasia (inability of the lower esophageal sphincter to properly close, leading to dilation of the esophagus and regurgitation of food and saliva). Achalasia usually presents in young adulthood and is problematic throughout life. Treatment is usually with calcium channel blockers (like Nifedipine).

Old 10-24-2003, 10:43 AM   #4

heavenisnevaeh333 HB User
this started happening to my friend when she was a freshmen in highschool. She is now a freshmen in college. She said it was never this bad before and it continuelly gets worse.

Old 10-24-2003, 10:47 AM   #5

fudd HB User
Sure sounds like achalasia, but she needs to go to the doctor to it checked out. There are a few other possibilities besides this and these can be ruled out with a physical exam and possibly endoscopy.

Closed Thread