It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Unhappy HIDA SCAN

Is there anyone on ths board who has ibs and gerd who had a hida scan?How in gods name can a person who has ibs stay still 2 hrs to perform that test.Not only that ,how can i not take my prevacid the morning of the test.How do they think im going to be able to lay still with acid churning up in my throat?I have to have an colonoscopy done too but im not worried about that test.For the hida scan test will i have to be totally still?Any info will be appreciated much.

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Gee Suzy -- reading all these messages I thought you were an expert by now!!!

They don't watch you all the time only when they are taking pictures of your gallbladder and how it is progressing empting and they compare it to the last time. They really only want you to stay still while they take the pictures ---you'll make out fine. You gotta do what you gatta do!!!
Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I don't know if all HIDAs are the same but for mine I was in a donut machine that looked like a CT machine. I had to lay on my back while the machine came down to my chest and abdomen are (about 6 inches from touching). I was told to relax and lie still. It lasted an hour but felt a lot longer. It would have been better if there had been a tv facing me from the ceiling.

Old 10-13-2003, 03:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Harry i dont read all the messages on this board only the ones that i can answer with some experience behind it.Or if i know something about it.The other messages i leave alone.I only read the messages that have a topic that i know something about.Since i never had a hida scan done and it didnt look like i was going to ever have one i just skipped those posts because i had nothing to contribute.Im not so much interested in the hida scan ,but how a person with ibs mananged to get thru it.As most ppl i know who have ibs find it very difficult to stay still for any lengthy period of time.Especially when your ibs is connected to stress.I was wondering if anybody had any ideas how i can get thru with this test any suggestions how they did it.I especially wanted to hear from ppl who have had this test done and have ibs.

------------------

Old 10-14-2003, 07:06 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
suzy,

Do you have any relaxers like valium or xanax? Something like that may help. I don't think I have IBS so I can't really give any good advice on what to do. I know stress can cause your IBS to flare up and this test can be stressful. I say it can be stressful because for me, I was rather confined since the machine comes down to about 6 inches from my chest and the technicians come and go from the room. I got a little panicky because I started thinking what if a start having a panic attack and I can't get out from under this machine. Anyway, I calmed myself down, something that has taken me years to learn. If I had IBS and became panicky, I could see a problem. I would find out if you could take some sort of relazant first. Also, I would tell the technician performing the test about your IBS and that you may have to get up in a moment't notice to go to the restroom. Hopefully, the technician will suffer from IBS too and that way he/she will understand. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2003, 01:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Smile

Actudan thanks for your reply.I too have panic attacks when im under extreme stress.Im uneasy in elevators and small spaces.So i guess this will be a difficult test for me.Ill talk to the technician beforehand about it.I had a cat scan done before and made it thru but it was of short duration.When you had the scan done if you are married, was your spouse allowed to remain in the room?I have a problem with remainng still for extended periods of time,thats why im alittle freaked about this test.How have you been doing lately?Ive read alot of your posts.Thanks again

------------------

Old 10-14-2003, 03:15 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
My spouse was not with me. My scan was a 6:30 am and I was told by folks on this board that I shouldn't have any problem driving myself to work after the test. I aksed because I didn't do so well with the barium given for the CT scan. I had really bad cramps and had to go home for the day so I was a little worried about the HIDA. Well my wife was relieved that she didn't have to go with me so early in the morning

Anyway, I don't see a problem with a spouse being there during the exam. The machine isn't using any radiation because the technicians are walking in and out during the procedure and they aren't wearing any lead vests for radiation protection. I would call the place that is given your exam ahead of time and find out if it would be okay for your spoude to be there. I wouldn't wait until the day of your exam to find out that your spouse can't be in there with you because that may add too much stress. if you can find out ahead of time, at least you can prepare yourself a little. Good luck and let me know how it turns out. And I read lot of your posts too

Old 10-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Many thanks Actudan for the advice and info.Yeah i think i will call them ahead of time and ask about my spouse being in the room with me.Take care.

------------------

Old 10-14-2003, 10:04 PM   #9

RamonaVA HB User
Hi Suzy,

I had a HIDA last week. Right before the HIDA I had an MRI and took 1/2 a Xanax for that, so ask if you can take your medicine that day.
The HIDA machine isn't closed like the MRI, so it's not as bad for panic attacks. I actually fell asleep! You lay on the table and the machine over you goes from about the chest to abdomen, it's about the size of a regular x-ray machine. It doesn't cover your face or legs. I usually use deep breathing and positive/calming self-talk, but this time I decided to try the Xanax. So ask about the meds.

Best of luck,
Ramona

Old 10-15-2003, 07:01 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Get yourself a heavy dose of valium and tell them to wake you when it's over Good luck!

Old 10-15-2003, 08:57 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Thanks guys for the info and advice.

------------------

Old 10-17-2003, 04:26 PM   #12

SomewhereInIdaho HB User
Hi Suzy,
I had a Hida scan done just a few months ago and I have both IBS and panic disorder and even though I was nervous
about the test I found that I really did just fine after I got to the hospital.
When I got there they started a hep lock so they could administer meds and they took all of my info and I was able to wear my street clothes,,,including my shoes I laid on this table and they gave me the radioactive dye and a few minutes later I could see my liver and GB coming into view on the screen ( pretty cool then they gave me the CCk hormone which makes your GB contract then you just lay there while the machine does its thing and I got a bathroom break half way through and then I got more CCk and then I was done
I have diarhea predominant IBS and was pretty nervous about laying there for 2 hours but it wwas nothing like I thought it would be...so much easier and the time really went fast!! If you are worried about having to go then you could take Immodium the day before to help slow things down a little. I would ask my doc about the valium because it can interfer with contractions and cause a false reading on the test.
I wish you all the best and I hope you find some answers to your health problems
Take care,
Jodi

Old 10-17-2003, 10:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Thanks Jodi for the info my hida scan is scheduled for this monday.If anyone on here is religious please send up a prayer for me.Not only do i have this test but i have an eye exam on the same day.Geez cant get a break.

------------------

Old 10-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I believe if you get through the HIDA then the eye exam will be a piece of cake! I will say a prayer for you and I believe you will be fine. Hey, I believe this post makes me a veteran!

Old 10-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
Sorry, this post makes me a veteran

Closed Thread