It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 09:20 AM   #1

teresa26 HB User
Post what could this be?

i've been feeling poorly since early july. it started with ovarian pain and bloating. that was coupled with a feeling of fullness before i'd finished a regular-sized meal. from there, it just got worse. i became tired - too tired to stay up to work on my hobbies, too tired to work out in the day like i normally did, and so tired that it was a challenge to drag myself out of bed after 8 - 10 hours of sleep. in late july the pain got pretty bad along with the bloating.
in august, i started having a lot of pain above my belly button and to the right (along the rib cage). especially after eating. i also lost my appetite during that time (but maybe i just didn't want to eat because it hurt whenever i did.) then i noticed (by accident) that i had a slight fever. (99.8 when my regular temp is 97.5) after 10 days of the fever, i went to the dr. she ran some blood tests. my LFTs all came back normal. my WBC was normal. and my amylase was slightly elevated (lipase normal). she re-ran the amylase test 4 days later and it was still slightly elevated.

she gave me a scrip for aciphex even though she said she didn't think i had an ulcer. it didn't really help and my fever went up to 100.3. it's been hovering around there ever since (100.0 - 100.3). this is the 21st day in a row that i've had a fever.

my dr told me that it is probably just a "viral thing" although no one else i know is sick. i don't have any flu-like symptoms, no coughing, etc. just the abdominal pain (and it is very tender when i press lightly on it), the ovarian pain, lower back pain (when the ovaries hurt) and upper right back pain (that corresponds with the abdominal pain).

i do have endometriosis and have a Gyn appt scheduled for late sept. and my dr finally put in a GI referral after my husband called her a dozen times.

it is not normal for me to run a fever for this long without having the flu. she seems to be brushing it off. she said that since it hasn't gotten over 101 that it's not serious.

i have a GI appt next week, but i have no idea what they are going to do or even look for.

i am going to be 27 in a couple of months, so i tell myself that i'm not in a high-risk category for cancer.

but i am still a little scared. what could be going on?

thanks for reading.

~teresa

[This message has been edited by teresa26 (edited 09-01-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2003, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
It could be gerd ,ibs,gallbladder problems ,h.pylori,gastritis.Any one of those or maybe some combined.At least thats what the symptoms sound like to me.

------------------

Old 09-01-2003, 09:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
None of the regular GI problems cause you to run a fever. It usually indicates an infection caused by any number of disorders.

I suggest you try taking a homeopathic remedy for fevers and inflammation. --- Belladonna-- you can buy it at a health food store. I would use a 30X potency but any potency will work and just take it like it says on the container. Little white pills under the tongue.

The first time I used this remedy was for my youngest son ( 15 years old at the time) that had Strep Throat and a fever of 103.5ºF. It was also very painful for him to swallow. It was late in afternoon and we could not get in to see a doctor. My son took 2 doses about an hour apart while I was out attending a meeting. When I came home --- he had no fever, he could swallow fine and he was hungry and ate a hamburger and fries. He went back to school the next day OK --- that was 26 years ago because he is now 41 years old.
I was a very novice user of homeopathic remedies--THEN. But, sometimes during an illness --- you will try anything that you know is not harmful!!!

God Bless---Harry

Old 09-02-2003, 09:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi there. I had your same symptoms when my gall bladder was acting up. Unfortunately, all my gall bladder tests came back "normal", but due to my chronic low grade fever, pain after eating/achiness all the time in upper right quadrant, upper back pain, nausea, fatigue, diarrhea, etc., my surgeon sent me to another doc for a 2nd opinion who also said it was my gall bladder. I had it removed (after nearly a year of suffering). Turns out it was severely inflamed and covered in scar tissue. After my post-op recovery, I was ready to do cartwheels (even though I can't do a cartwheel) because I felt so much better!

The medical tests are not always 100% reliable. Although my gall bladder function seemed normal enough, my symptoms were strongly indicative of gall bladder disease.

Hang in there, and keep up with doctor appointments. Eventually an answer will be found.

Keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 09-02-2003, 05:52 PM   #5

teresa26 HB User
thanks for the replies, everyone.

katie, how did they finally diagnose you?

harry, thank you for your recommendation. i feel a little uneasy about taking something for a fever if i do not know what exactly is causing it. i always thought that a low-grade fever was the body's way of fighting off infection and i normally don't take anything to bring it down unless it is quite high (around 102). i'm not sure if that makes sense or not.

suzy, i had thought about those GERD and h.pylori, however since they do not normally present with a persistent low-grade fever, i didn't really focus on them too much. my pain is a bit better if i lie down and i've never had any sort of burning sensation in my stomach or my esophogus. my reg dr actually told me that she didn't think it was my gallbladder, but i am sure the GI will be looking for those conditions once i meet with him/her.

well, i hope that the dr will have some answers for me next week. thanks again!

[This message has been edited by teresa26 (edited 09-02-2003).]

[This message has been edited by teresa26 (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-05-2003, 01:36 PM   #6

teresa26 HB User
my appt was moved to today. the CBC, LFTs are being redone. my thyroid is being tested. i've been given prevacid. and on monday i will be having an endoscopy. i'm really nervous about that. i'd almost prefer general anesthesia to that. the dr is puzzled by the fever. he did say it might be my gall bladder, but wanted to check the stomach first. i was given a choice of barium swallow in two weeks or endoscopy on monday. i want it over with, so i chose the endoscopy even though i'm pretty freaked out about it.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:11 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Id take the endoscopy over the barium swallow any day.

------------------

Old 09-05-2003, 09:09 PM   #8

dustinsmommie HB User
the endoscopy is a breeze if done by a good doctor and they get you put out good.My first one when i had a ercp they didn't get me put out and i was awake when the doc started to run the tube down my throat and i remember trying to grab it and pull it out and it was a horrible feeling ,and the most of got the iv fixed because the next thing i knew i was waking up from the procedure and was taking to my mom and the doctor.

Old 09-09-2003, 09:12 AM   #9

teresa26 HB User
the endoscopy was way worse than i imagined it would be. everything there was normal, however. an abdominal u/s was done and that was normal too. now the dr gave me an anti-spasmodic drug in the meantime. i am supposed to have an abdominal CT done sometime soon. i just want this to be over.

Old 09-16-2003, 07:58 AM   #10

teresa26 HB User
CT scan was normal. i'm having a HIDA scan thursday. if this is normal, am i all out of tests? i really really want this to be over. i'm tired of feeling so lousy.

Old 09-16-2003, 08:11 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

actudan HB User
I feel your pain. I have had almost every test possible,except for colonoscopy and exploratory surgery, and nothing was found. My diagnosis is weakened digestive muscles that are cramping and spasming. I am taking Limbitrol and Skelaxin now. Too eary to tell if it's working. I am also taking alot of herbs and vitamins. Good luck and keep us posted on your progess.

Old 09-16-2003, 03:23 PM   #12

teresa26 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by actudan:
I feel your pain. I have had almost every test possible,except for colonoscopy and exploratory surgery, and nothing was found. My diagnosis is weakened digestive muscles that are cramping and spasming. I am taking Limbitrol and Skelaxin now. Too eary to tell if it's working. I am also taking alot of herbs and vitamins. Good luck and keep us posted on your progess.
actudan, i am sorry that you seem to be in the same boat as i am. what are your symptoms? (if you've posted them elsewhere on the board and don't feel like retyping it, you can just point me in the direction of that thread.) how old are you? how long have you been having symptoms?

i hope your meds start working for you. take care.

Old 09-16-2003, 05:41 PM   #13

BWC HB User
Hi teresa26,

you could have IBS, meaning all kinds of foods can give you gastritis/abdominal pain, including some herbs and vitamins . I've had that for years. A cholonoscopy would probably be good to make sure everthing's ok. If you have a sensitive stomach and/bowels watch the vitamin Cs for sure, brocholi, orange juice, onions, fatty foods, just to name a few. Brent

[This message has been edited by BWC (edited 09-16-2003).]

Old 10-28-2003, 11:33 AM   #14

frankb HB User
hi theresa,
how was your HIDA test ? are u feeling any better ? just concerned individual.

Closed Thread