It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 05:37 AM   #1
cheribe

Question espohageal manometery

Hi all
doc called and scheduled an "espohageal manometery" anyone else have this done? Is it an important test to have done? I looked through the archives and didn't find anything about it, which made me wonder if it is a test that is oudated or something? Anything anyone can tell me about it would be appreciated.
Cheri

Old 08-11-2003, 06:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
The test measures the pressure every inch as you swallow water --- one swallow at a time. If you get food that gets stuck and sometimes you choke --- then this is the correct test.

My wife sometimes for no reason would choke on particle of food or even a vitamin during the middle of a meal. The test determined she had "Nutcracker syndrome"

The Doctor put her on Prolosec and she has been OK ever since. X-rays with barium, scopy testing didn't show a thing but the Manometer Test sure picked it up!!!

I wish you well---Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 02:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katie G HB UserKatie G HB User
Smile

Hi cheribe. I had manometry done after GERD was diagnosed and my doctor recommended Nissan fundoplication. The test was done for me to determine the motility and strength of the esophagus, as well as if I was a good surgical candidate for the procedure. Turns out my motility was good, but the strength of the lower esophageal sphincter was low, allowing reflux to occur.

It's a necessary test if you're having esophageal problems and/or GERD.

Good luck and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 08-13-2003, 04:49 AM   #4
cheribe

thanks for the responses!
I don't choke on food. I have severe GERD and a hiatal hernia, doc says he has to do this esophageal manometery to see if I am a candidate for hernia repair.
Do they give you the same "amnesia" drug as they do for an endoscopy when they do this procedure?
Thanks again, Cheribe

Old 08-13-2003, 06:22 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi again Cheribe. Unfortunately, you will NOT be sedated for manometry - I asked for sedation and was told "no way." The techs doing the procedure need you fully alert to look at the function of the esophagus accurately.

I don't want to scare you, but I think this procedure is one of the worst things I ever went through. I had to lay flat on a table, and then the nurses rubbed the tip of the probe with lidocaine, which is supposed to numb your nose as it goes through. Although the tube will go through easily (I think they also put something like Vaseline on it to push it through easier), I could still feel it. It took all my willpower not to start gagging as it entered the back of my throat. I had to do Lamaze breathing to try to stay calm during the procedure, but it is not comfortable at all. My eyes teared up many times during the test. You will be asked to swallow at different points along the way, and I wanted to swallow so bad when I wasn't supposed to! The whole test probably takes about 15-20 minutes, but it was like an eternity!

I really hated this procedure and asked my doc if he would ever have to do it again and thankfully he said "no." So the best thing you can do for yourself is know that it is NOT an easy thing to go through, but tell yourself that you CAN do it. Try to breathe calmly and focus on something else during the procedure. The nurses doing the procedure with me were very supportive and caring which helped me endure it easier.

Please don't cancel the procedure based on my post here, but I want you to be aware that it is more difficult to go through than an endoscopy because you must be awake/alert for the whole thing.

Please keep us posted on what happens,
Katie G

Old 08-15-2003, 06:48 AM   #6
cheribe

Thank you Katie!!
I really appreciate your honesty.
For the past two days my husband and I have been thinking of canceling this test. We really don't think that the surgery is going to be something we want, and that is really the only reason to do the esophageal manometry isn't it? The hernia repair/fundo surgery sounds like it is a pretty iffy thing to do... has a lot of cons verses its pros and we don't know if we are that desperate.,,,especially since the dr. called and said that my biopsies came back NEGATIVE for Barretts!, but that he still wanted to go ahead with the manometry., we just picked the doc out of the phone book and went there, so aren't all that sure of HIM either although he SEEMS like a decent sort. Thanks again.
Cherib oh, p.s. Katie I think we are from the same neck of the woods ;~) I live near Kalamazoo and am from Bay City area, don't know why this thing shows me as from CoCo Beach FL.

[This message has been edited by cheribe (edited 08-15-2003).]

Old 08-15-2003, 04:31 PM   #7

ballmom14 HB User
cherib...I had the monometry done last October because of GERD to help my doctor decide if I should get the laparoscopic nissen fundoplication done. I was very nervous about it because I, like you, wanted to be sedated, because I had a difficult time with the EGD (which I'm sure you've already done if you are moving on to monometry). I read a reply from someone that said the monometry was a bad experience for her. I will tell you this: it was not at all a bad experience for me. I sniffed the lidocaine gel up my nose, and the nurse sprayed some other anesthetic as well, and it was fine. I did lay down on my side for part of the procedure, and the rest, I did sitting upright, switching between sips of water and bites of food. The only problem I had was a slight gagging feeling when I moved. Otherwise, it wasn't bad at all, and to tell the truth, I'm glad I did it. I wanted to know for sure I was doing the right thing by going through with that surgery, and the surgery has helped me 110%!!! God bless you and I hope everything turns out as well for you as it has for me.

Old 08-16-2003, 07:38 AM   #8
cheribe

HI "Ballmom"
I am very interested to hear it wasn't a terrible experience for you!!
I am also very interested to hear what you think of having the fundo surgery...... did it help? Can you burp? Can you vomit?
I just can't imagine living without being able to burp and vomit,,,sounds gross I know, but burping and vomiting are such a relief to a person when they are feeling ill, I just can't imagine doing without them!
Thanks so much for yhour input.,
Cherib

Old 08-17-2003, 04:47 PM   #9

ballmom14 HB User
I am glad to share my experience. The fundoplasty was not real painful, and I was back at work a week after the surgery. I was not able to eat solid foods for about a month (drank a lot of Slim-Fast for nutrition), and because of that, I lost weight too --an added bonus!!! At first, it was difficult to burp, but it was possible even the day after the surgery. As far as vomiting, I was real concerned about that too, but I took medication for nausea anytime I felt it coming on (which wasn't very often), and it helped. After about a month, I was able to burp normally. The surgery was last October, and I have vomited several times since then -- not exactly fun, but I added that in here so you would know that the surgery does not cause one to be unable to regurgitate. I am very glad I had the fundoplasty done, because I feel so much better now than I had in years. In fact, I didn't realize how horrible I felt before the surgery until I started to feel better.

Old 08-18-2003, 07:41 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi there cheribe and ballmom. I just wanted to add that 2 years post Nissan I can burp only with great difficulty and still get bad gas pains if the burps won't come. I have not been able to vomit - in fact a couple weeks ago, I had the dry heaves all day (just hope I didn't tear anything!), so I guess it depends on how tight the wrap is.

Would I have it done again? Oh yeah, the pros far outweigh the cons. My GERD is under great control, I no longer have pain from it, and am clear of Barrett's as of my last scope last year. I can live with the inconveniences of difficulty burping and if vomiting becomes bad again, I will go to ER and get something to stop it.

Good luck to you and keep us posted,
Katie G

Old 08-19-2003, 10:16 AM   #11

ballmom14 HB User
Wow, Katie, I'm sorry to hear that you've had post-fundoplication problems. I am really surprised that you cannot vomit and can only burp with difficulty. I am sure you've been back to your surgeon to ask him/her about this. What was the response? My surgeon told me before the surgery that wouldn't happen, and I'm glad it hasn't.

Old 08-19-2003, 11:59 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi ballmom. My surgeon told me right up front that burping would be difficult, and I'd probably never be able to vomit again, so I was prepared. I researched fundo surgery for 2 years before finally having it done, so I knew exactly what I was in for. I can live with life this way; I just couldn't let my GERD progress to cancer.

Glad that your fundo turned out even better,
Katie G

Old 10-27-2003, 10:46 PM   #13

tdiguy HB User
well, I'm scheduled for a motility study and a ph study next monday. Should I have someone drive me to and from the hospital, or will I be ok going by myself?

Old 10-29-2003, 08:49 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Smile

Hi there. You'll be fine to drive yourself - there is no sedation involved. I wished there was - the tests were very uncomfortable for me, but try to stay relaxed with deep breathing to get through it.

Katie G

Old 11-04-2003, 04:48 PM   #15

tdiguy HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie G
Hi there. You'll be fine to drive yourself - there is no sedation involved. I wished there was - the tests were very uncomfortable for me, but try to stay relaxed with deep breathing to get through it.

Katie G
Well, got back from both tests today. The both tests were fairly easy, although the 24hr ph study really irritated my nose, and the tech and I found out the hard way that I'm alergic to surgical tape..... dont ask.

Anyway, the results, My esophageal motility is very poor. I'm not sure exactly what the #s mean, but I measured at 29. He (the tech) said the cutoff for the fundo surgery is 30 and above, so most likely a surgeon would turn me away due to the risk of inability to swallow. Anway, then we did the ph study. The sensor wire has 2 sensors. One (proximal) positioned 20cm above the les, and one (distal) 5cm above the les. The sensor records "reflux" as any ph value below 4. During the test, the proximal (20cm) sensor recorded 12 seperate acid reflux events, 2 lasting more than 5 minutes. The Distal (5cm) sensor recorded 114 seperate reflux events, 4 lasting more than 5 minutes. Yikes! Anyway, I have a followup with my gastro-doc on monday to go over the results and my treatment options. If anyone ever needs to have these tests done, I highly reccomend Dr Brett Bernstein and his assistant (especially) Frank Chateau. They both took their time and really explained things. They even showed me one of those camera pills even though I wasnt having that done. Neat device!

Closed Thread