It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
(female)

joybdean HB User
Is my GP grasping for straws?

Hi - I posted a couple days ago before my latest dr appt for stomach issues and after my latest visit to him, I think he may be grasping. What do you think?

History:

It started in Feb when I had intense center abdominal pain (sometimes shifting toward the left under the bottom rib - just like gallbladder pain only left side) lasting for weeks after eating a gyro salad. Dr had me on prevacid for acid reflux for a month but the pain continued and constipation started. By May I had lost 15 pounds and the pain had calmed down a lot but I still experienced twinges now and then and some constipation. Last week constant nausea started after high fat meals. I also had a couple loose stools which actually were a "nice" change after all the constipation. The nausea subsided after two or three days of eating low fat meals.

Test I've had:

Stress test - normal
Cholesterol - normal
flex sig - normal
abdominal ultrasound - normal
endoscopy - normal except for benign polyps

I just keep thinking gallbladder with referred pain. I'm not going to take the sample nexium he gave me because the prevacid didn't do anything but make me feel worse. I will add more fiber to my diet and stay away from fatty meals as much as I can and hope I feel better.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2006, 02:35 PM   #2
(female)

bostongal HB User
Question Re: Is my GP grasping for straws?

Can you ask to have a HIDA scan done to see if it is your gallbladder? It could also be something else so a colonoscopy might help. If your GI doctor is reluctant can you see someone else? Don't let this go or write it off to stress.

I have microscopic colitis and the pain you describe is similar except I have non-stop persistent diarrhea, not constipation. I have lost over 90 lbs in 9 months with this. It was found with the biopsys from the colonoscopy. I was told by a different doctor that it was "just IBS". Now that I have a diagnosis we have a treatment plan and I am working on getting better.

Hang in there!

Meg

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 02:53 AM   #3
(female)

o_janus_o HB User
Re: Is my GP grasping for straws?

That really does sound oddly like gall bladder problems. I know that when my gall blader is bugging me pretty badly I will get mirror pains in my left side. I've also felt like I was having a heart attack after eating pepperoni pizza.

It seems unlikely since you don't have pain in your right side, but just the same I don't think you should rule it out. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #4
(female)

crampster HB User

Just had my gallbladder removed after suffering with pain that my docs thought was ibs or reflux. Try lying down with a warm water bottle on the right where the gallbladder is and see if this helps the pain on the left.

Hang in there and you may need to see another doc if you aren't getting anywhere. Out of curiosity is the pain in the same area?
crampster

Old 08-15-2006, 03:59 PM   #5
(female)

joybdean HB User

crampster and o_janus_o: Thanks for responding. I do rarely still have the pain on the left, but it is mostly just nausea and softer, paler bms now after high fat or fried foods. I do actually have some twinges/discomfort on the right and into the right shoulder blade - the classic areas - on occasion. I'm scheduled with the GI Sept 8th and am praying she will diagnosis gallbladder or order a HIDA scan. Living like this, being afraid to eat anything for fear of the nausea, not to mention the blah food, is for the birds!

Thanks again for responding!

Joy

Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
(female)

crampster HB User

Only problem is sometimes don't show up on tests. They did know I had gallbladder inflammation until after my gallbladder was actually removed. I got lucky... had a GI doc that really knew his stuff. He told me the test were just to be on safe side.... he really thought the gallbladder was in bad shape... maybe just not bad enough for it to be in trouble.

Good call on his part. I feel better than I have in a long time.

Good luck with you GI visit. If you end up having a hida scan... I was told anything belowo 35% was considered below normal for a functioning gallbladder by my GI.

Crampster

Closed Thread