It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
prevacid vs. prilosec??

Hi, I have been on prevacid now for a little while and I think it is giving me a weird butterfly feeling in my stomach. My doctor said that taking two 10 mg prilosec OTC a day should be about the same as taking one prevacid 30 mg prescrition a day which is what I am on currently. I am reluctant to take myself off of the prevacid because I still feel that it would be better than taking two prilosec OTCs 10 mg a day. Any opinions? I am desperate to feel better. I'm sure you all understand. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Carisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2006, 11:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: prevacid vs. prilosec??

carisa,

The Prilosec give me less side effects than any PPI including Prevacid. But, I think you can only get the Prilosdec OTC in 20 mg tablets-- I have not seen them in the 10mg size.
The 20 mg Prilosec works for me when I need it.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

Thank you. you are right, I looked into it, and it only comes in 20 mg tablets and that is what I am now taking. I hope it works!

Old 08-03-2006, 11:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Every PPI I've ever taken has bothered my stomach. I've been taking Prilosec OTC lately and stopped it a couple days ago. Pepcid AC isn't strong enough, but doesn't bother my stomach. I'm so disgusted with all of this. I had a Nissen Fundoplication several years ago which failed after 2 months. The reason I had it was b/c the meds. don't agree with me. Now, I'm back where I started!!!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

sunshine,
Have you tried Protonix -- the literature says that it is somewhat different and is used to heal the esophagus.

You may want to look into it??

Harry

Old 08-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User

I know, I hear you when you say everything bothers your stomach. Now I'm not sure what to think....I don't know if some of my symptoms are just new symptoms or symptoms from my PPI's. Very frustrating.

Protonix is not covered by my insurance. I wonder if I can get them to cover it since my body does not tolerate Prevacid. That is the only one they do cover. So it's either Prevacid for me or Prilosec OTC. I wonder how much it would be to pay out of pocket?

Carisa

Closed Thread