It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
(female)

paula43 HB User
Severe Gas Pains & Diarrhea From Salad, Is This Just Gas?

On both Saturday and Sunday I ate a huge salad from a salad bar. I also ate a lot of blueberries and an oatmeal cookie before bed. All wrong since I am 3 months post gall bladder surgery and there was fat in the salad and I ate way too much. Sunday night I started feeling nauseous, went to bed and woke at 5 a.m. with diarrhea and horrible cramps.The pain is also felt in my upper back so I started getting scared that I have pancreatitis. However, the pain was not that severe as pancreatitis is supposed to be and it wasn't steady nor do I have fever.

Now here it is Tuesday and the pain is still intermittent but my intestines are so sore. When I walk, it hurts. Most of the pain is in the middle of my upper abdomen but my lower is sore to the touch too. I burp so much and just feel miserable, just eating the BRAT diet. I am going to the GI doctor today and hopefully he will take my blood and see if anything is happening other than gastritis. My question is, have any of you had this for days, where yor intestines feel so sore like this? I know there have been threads on gas felt in the back but there may be new people reading this so any feedback would be reassuring. Since I had my gallbladder out, it's been hard on my diegestion...I also take Prevacid daily for reflux. This may have been food poisoning but I never vomited, wish I could have, maybe would've felt better. I used Gas-X and Tums but my stomach still is sore. Does salad do this to anyone else? My pain goes away then comes over my whole stomach like a wave, I am scared.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
(male)

Given2Fly HB User
Re: Severe Gas Pains & Diarrhea From Salad, Is This Just Gas?

Salads mess me all up now too. But no one has been able to tell me what's wrong with me either. So I just stay away from them. If the pain has been there for a couple of days though, I'm not sure that's just from the salad.

Old 08-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

Salad does the same thing to me. I have IBS and try not to eat too many salads.

Old 08-04-2006, 04:41 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

FOr a while after I had my gb out I had problems with roughage...salads, slaw, etc. It eventually went away.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:44 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

builder HB Userbuilder HB User

Some salad bars spray or soak the lettuce and other vegetables in a solution to keep them from wilting and turning colors. This stuff gives some people terrible stomach pains, cramps and diarrhea.

Old 09-17-2006, 09:49 PM   #6
(female)

Precious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB UserPrecious55 HB User

I had something similiar happen when me and my husband went to Rib Crib about a week ago. I had a big salad and had some ribs and green beans and a little potatoe salad. As soon as I got home I had uncontrollable diarrhea and bad stomach pains. It was a good three days before I was back to myself and still had gas. I ate the rest of the ribs I had brought home,a few days later and the potatoe salad,and was fine, so I'm sure it wasn't those.
Still have gall bladder issues to deal with but will have an ultra-sound soon.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
(male)

Given2Fly HB User

It's funny how somthing like lettuce that is supposed to be so good for you can be so bad for some of us. For the last few days I've been putting a single leaf of lettuce on my sandwiches just to add the veggies, and haven't had much trouble with it.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #8
(female)

mommy2brandon24 HB User

you sorta sound like i do i just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago and now im kind of regretting it because my pain is alot worse now. ive been getting that pain in the stomache,chest and all through my back only its not going away and it gets alot worse when i eat anything i thought when you get your gallbladder removed you can go back to normal and eat anything you want i was sooo excited i guess i was really wrong. and all the doctors keep on doing right now is keep on telling me to take loratabs for the pain untill they can figure out whats wrong with me this is getting ridiculas already. but im scheduled for a sonogram to see why im having all this pain tomorrow morning. they just took all this blood work today and said my blood work came out funny. so i know what your going through right now.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:59 AM   #9
(female)

stephaniev3 HB User

All of these comments really scare me. I've been scheduled to have my gallbladder taken out soon. I have recently developed a problem with salad. I went to a rib place with my family and thought that a salad would be the safest way to go for my stomach. Turns out, the salad gave me a huge attack. Ever since then, every time I try to eat salad, I can't. It hurts horribly. I have heard both people with gall bladder problems and pancreatitus can't eat salad. The only thing that REALLY concerns me is why you still can't even after they have taken out your gallbladder. I thought that taking out the gallbladder was supposed to help and take away pain when you eat. My pain is unbearable the way that it is now. I don't think I can handle a few more years of this! How long do they predict for things to continue to bother you after you have had it removed? What is the BRAT diet? I really need help to know what to eat, since everything seems to be hurting me right now. Why is salad a no no? Does it have fat in it?

Old 09-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #10
(female)

paula43 HB User

Stephanie, I am the one who started this thread and glad to see the replies, especially the one about the solution they soak the salads in. I will tell you that my GI doctor told me to please stay away from salad bars, especially in the summer when it's transported in the heat. Honestly, I will never go to a salad ar myself. I know it's scary to read about us post-gall bladder people. I had mine out over 4 months ago and still get diarrhea sometimes. However, I had this before too so I may have IBS. You asked what the BRAT diet it. It's bananas, rice, applesauce and toast which is recommended for diarrhea for a few days until it subsides. Please know that not everyone will get diarrhea after gall bladder surgery. What I have not gotten is severe gall bladder attacks (I didn't even have stones...just a poorly functioning gall bladder). For me, having a little toilet in the back of the car makes me feel a little more secure. I have never used it and wonder how I would in broad daylight :-) but you know, when the urge comes, there's nothing you can do. They're only about $12 online. Anyway, try to think positively about the surgery, stay away from fats and salad or anything that gives you the runs now, for the first few months. I have friends who went out after the surgery andd had a cheeseburger and fries and were fine, so you never know. I sure don't advise that as a test but the point is, you may be real fine and be able to eat whatever you want. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

i have no diagnosed gall bladder issues, but very touchy stomach and digestive issues, and salads, much as I love them, can do me in.
I have to be REAL careful,wash everything, and only eat certain things in small amounts.

Closed Thread