It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

sickandsad83 HB User
Upper endoscopy/GI without seditive?

Im getting an upper endoscopy without any seditive. Has anyone ever had it done without any sedition and was it scary/bad? Will i still feel like i can breath, or will breathing feel diffcult?

Thanks

Old 08-01-2006, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

sickandsad83 HB User
Re: Upper endoscopy/GI without seditive?

Oh and I forgot to say, the doctor asked me if I have any trouble shallowing food/water and I remmber I told him no. I was just half asleep when i talked to him and now I remmber him asking me that. I do have trouble shallowing food, it's not really difficult or anything but I do have some trouble. Now I'm worried because I told him no. What I'm asking is if someone has trouble shallowing food does that mean they can't have an upper endoscopy. Does that mean my throat is too small and i wont have enough room in my throat to breath, once they put the scope down???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2006, 01:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey S & S: I've had several Endoscopys and also several colonoscopys. One of the Endos, the doctor did not sedate me and I swore when it was over, I would never go through that again! It was extremely uncomfortable. I have had one since and I brought it up with the GI doc and he agreed on sedation. He scheduled it for the hospital and I was put to sleep for the duration. You go to sleep, they do their thing, and when you wake up, it's over. That's the only way to do it. The same applies for having a colonoscopy.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:43 AM   #4
(female)

sickandsad83 HB User

I just have a quick question if you don't mind me asking...what do you mean by it was "uncomfortable"? Was it just feel werid, that kind of uncomfortable or did you actually have pain or trouble breathing? I'm just soooo worried i will feel like i wont be able to breath

Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey S & S: I don't recall any trouble breathing per se, but it was uncomfortable in trying to swallow this long scope tube. It was several years ago, so I'm trying to recall all of this. I do remember having a real hard time trying to keep making the swallowing motions and my throat was getting kind of raw, even though they had spayed some type of local numbing spray on it. It's just nothing I want to do again.

Old 08-09-2006, 02:27 PM   #6
(female)

summerluvr HB User

i had one with the throat spray only and it was awful..

it hurt going in and my body kept trying to wretch and they kept telling me to breath through my nose..... it was painful too...

sorry to break it to you

Closed Thread