It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2006, 12:30 PM   #1
(female)

Mudiefeets HB User
Question Any ideas what these symptoms could be? Digestive problem?

For alomst a year now, I have been bothered by a medley of different bothersome symptoms that I can't really tie down. Most bothersome though is a feeling of a constant side-ache, side "stitche" in my right side, right at or below my ribcage like a person gets when running etc, but I have it even while i'm at rest. Some days are worse, some it's milder but on a whole I experience it for at least a few hours each day and many times it is accompanied by a feeling of fullness and or bloating below my stomach in the abdominal area. I should mention that I was diagnosed with GERD awhile back but am on meds for that and I don't know that there has ever seemed to be a connection between my abdominal/side pains and my GERD symptoms.

I went to see the doctor about my symptoms and they did blood tests and then ultrasounds to check my liver/kidneys/gallbladder and reproductive organs and came up with no conclusions or answers as to a cause. I also will sometimes experience with it a shortness of breath of sorts during the hours/days that the pain is there, as well. Just like I need a deep breathe but have to try a few times to actually get one. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is stress-induced or some other condition that maybe the doctors haven't thought to look for? I

I have tried removing certain things from my diet (I did find lactose was a problem and have since eliminated that)and doing stretches , etc to see if that could be the cause, but to really no avail there, either.

I dont drink, I am not over or under weight (5'8 1/2" 145), I get regular exercise and my other health stats are very good according to my doctor so I am a bit worried, wondering what the cause could be? Does any of this sound like a digestive thing to any of you? Any one have any experience with this kind of pain or any ideas as to what could be the cause or if this could be a symptom of anything else in particular?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: Any ideas what these symptoms could be? Digestive problem?

Mudiefeets,
Sounds like gallbladder. I also have GERD and IBS and my test results for gallbladder came back normal 2-Hida scans, ultrasound and CT scan. I had my gallbladder removed last monday and just saw my doc today... he said the pathology report from my gallbladder confirmed inflammation.

My symptomology sounds very similar to yours. I found myself using hot water bottles to try and lessen or sooth the ache as after a while the pain became almost constant. Don't give up. get a second opinion perhaps. Now I am finally painfree (well except for the incisions that are healing and the very tender abdominal area).
Wish you well.
crampster

Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #3
(female)

Mudiefeets HB User

Could you pinpoint specific things that made the pains worse? Did yours get worse when you ate greasy foods? And did the pain coincide with a feeling of a lump in your throat or back or chest pain as well?

Last edited by Mudiefeets; 08-07-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

crampster HB User

Got worse with sitting, eating anything, rubbing right under my right ribcage, bending, crouching.
Crampster

Old 08-07-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
(female)

crampster HB User

Mudifeets,
Also had pain in the back and sometimes when things were really bad in the side, in the back and up into my right shoulder.
Does any of this info help you? Hope so. I used to think it was my reflux. I told my old GI doc I had a pain in my side when it was really bad felt like a pit bull bit me and wouldn't let go.

Let me know how it goes. I hope it doesn't take you a couple of years of persistance to find a doc who could figure it out.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
(female)

birden57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudiefeets
For alomst a year now, I have been bothered by a medley of different bothersome symptoms that I can't really tie down. Most bothersome though is a feeling of a constant side-ache, side "stitche" in my right side, right at or below my ribcage like a person gets when running etc, but I have it even while i'm at rest. Some days are worse, some it's milder but on a whole I experience it for at least a few hours each day and many times it is accompanied by a feeling of fullness and or bloating below my stomach in the abdominal area. I should mention that I was diagnosed with GERD awhile back but am on meds for that and I don't know that there has ever seemed to be a connection between my abdominal/side pains and my GERD symptoms.

I went to see the doctor about my symptoms and they did blood tests and then ultrasounds to check my liver/kidneys/gallbladder and reproductive organs and came up with no conclusions or answers as to a cause. I also will sometimes experience with it a shortness of breath of sorts during the hours/days that the pain is there, as well. Just like I need a deep breathe but have to try a few times to actually get one. The only thing I can think of is maybe it is stress-induced or some other condition that maybe the doctors haven't thought to look for? I

I have tried removing certain things from my diet (I did find lactose was a problem and have since eliminated that)and doing stretches , etc to see if that could be the cause, but to really no avail there, either.

I dont drink, I am not over or under weight (5'8 1/2" 145), I get regular exercise and my other health stats are very good according to my doctor so I am a bit worried, wondering what the cause could be? Does any of this sound like a digestive thing to any of you? Any one have any experience with this kind of pain or any ideas as to what could be the cause or if this could be a symptom of anything else in particular?
I have the same pain in my left side, it was like I had run for a long time , it would stay like that same time for two or three day at a time, but befour I had that I was on nexium for heartbrun , I had the endscopy and the doctor that did it said that I had gastritis , I think the nexium was what make me have it, I stop the nexium the day that he told me I had gastritis , and in about two weeks all the feeling in my side was gone and I have not have it since . I had been on the nexium for about three years, the longer took it the more pain that I would have. I am so glad that I stop it,
I think that the nexium make me have gas for bad and it would get in my side and could not get out or something like that, but it is a bad pain, one that I do not want no more.
hope you get better soon.
birden

Old 08-13-2006, 03:32 AM   #7
(female)

wv_lady_us HB User

Well I have those very same symptoms and I had my gallbladder out in 2001. I am so fed up with my Gastro doc. I like her, but she's been treating me with Zelnorm for IBS and its doesn't do much. Ok like yesterday. I admit I ate bad yesterday. I was on the go and picked up a burger at Hardee's and I also ate a small bag of M&M's and some other unhealthy foods and I started feeling that pain or tightness (upper right side under ribcage) and sometimes it goes around to my back and I've had it shoot upwards in my back. I know certain foods cause and aggravate it. Like fatty fast food like pizza, burgers and such and I mostly try to stay away from these foods, but I give in an buy them sometimes. Im hopeless lol. Anyway I am at the end of my rope with this thing. Its been on going for going on 4 years. I thought after my gallbladder was out I could pretty much eat as I wanted, but not so. I still have to watch the fats and certain foods. When I get sick like this I crave salads and super lowfat foods and brothy soups for some reason. I get so mad at myself for eating wrong. I also have a fatty liver and probably insulin resistant as well. Im a mess and don't know where to turn or what to do. I need to stay on a healthy lowfat diet for life and its not easy. I need a good doctor that will diagnose my problem, but it aint happening. Thanks for letting me vent and get this out...good luck to you and hope you get relief...barb

Old 08-13-2006, 03:38 AM   #8
(female)

wv_lady_us HB User

OMG I have been on nexium for about 4 or 5 years. Maybe that has been my problem all along. I know it gets rid of most of the stomach acid and we need that for proper digestion. Im afraid to go off of it because my terrible acid reflux will come back. I don't know what ot do..

Old 08-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
(female)

crampster HB User

To WV Lady US

I had problems for a couple of years. I also have Reflux and IBS... so I thought that was what it was. The difference is the pain is always in the same spot... I guess with reflux and IBS the sites can be different with the gallbladder it was the same everytime... well almost the same... cause sometimes it was under ribcage... sometimes on the back across from where it was under the ribcage and sometimes up to my right shoulder. Anyway I started writing down where it was and the gallbladder was always in the same spots and felt the same depending on how good or bad I ate.

Wish you luck figuring it out... but I understand the fear of dropping meds....
crampster

Old 08-17-2006, 05:09 AM   #10
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

A little over a year ago I was having terrible gall bladder issues. At first I said that I wasn't going to get surgery and that I would just eat carefully and avoid it, but after a while the inflamation was so bad that I couldn't comforably lie on my back, my stools were becoming gray (a very bad sign), and I was getting sick. I was growing desperate to have my gall bladder out just so I'd live, but I couldn't afford the surgery. I couldn't even afford to see a doctor. So I did much research online.

I learned that taking a supliment, that can be found at health food stores, called MSM would help the problem. I don't remember how now, only that it did help wonders! I followed the directions on the bottle.

I also learned that taking a tablespoon of flax oil twice a day made all the difference as well. I mixed it with chocolate milk and it didn't taste too bad. Kinda nutty with the milk. I used soy milk. Rice milk also works well. If you use cow milk, get fat free. I don't know if it would bother your gall bladder, but I suspect not.

Those two things combined made the inflamation go down. It was amazing. After that I didn't feel like I was going to die.

I also learned that taking epsom salt, also following the directions on the box, made a HUGE difference in the pain. Whenever it would get particularily bad I would run for the epsom salt. It tastes terrible, but when you are in that much pain, you don't care. Now I judge how badly my gall bladder is truly hurting based on whether it's worth it or not to take the epsom salts. It works by relaxing the smooth muscles in your body, like your stomach, gall bladder, and intestines. Be warned though, it's also a laxative. It didn't bug me too much though, mostly just kept me regular. And it was a small price to pay for the benefits.

Lying down on your right side helps too. It doesn't seem like it would, but it somehow lessens the pain.

Fats and oils make it worse. It causes your gall bladder to spasm to release bile to digest it. However, there is a stone in the way and your gall bladder squeezes around it and hurts. Whatever you do though, DON'T STOP EATING FATS. That's how I got my gall stones in the first place. Poor dieting. What I found works best is to cut out all dairy, but be sure to take a suppliment. Meat fats are bad too, as are eggs. What I ended up doing was avoiding fats all together, except for nuts and legumes, and flax oil that I took. After cutting out the "bad fats", the "good fats" rarely hurt me.

Finally, I suggest you do some research about gall bladder cleanses. There are several methods out there so you should poke around. I havn't done one deliberately, but one day I made a salad with lots of lemon juice and cheese. One of the cleanses involves lemon juice and oil. The cleanses have you soften your stones by drinking unfiltered apple juice first, which I had not done so it was rather painful, but after taking epsom salt to relax my gall bladder and lying down on my side suddenly the pain stopped. I felt a liquid rushing feeling from my gall bladder and I didn't have problems again until recently.

Western medicine doesn't acknowledge this practice, but MANY people have done it. I'm about to give it my first real go.

As I remember it, the stones that show up on ultrasounds are calcified stones, which don't come out very easily, but there are other kinds of stones, softer stones, that come out with this flush.

Good luck. I hope at least some of my advice is helpful.

Last edited by o_janus_o; 08-17-2006 at 05:28 AM.

Old 08-17-2006, 05:32 AM   #11
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

I forgot to mention among the good oils is fish. Especially salmon. I think it's a similar effect to flax oil. Just seems to make it better.

These things don't get better overnight either. I think it took a week or two, maybe more, before I really noticed a HUGE difference, but I know that within a short amount of time, compared to how long I'd suffered, things were much better. I also suspect that I wouldn't be having problems now if I'd kept up with the flax oil and MSM. Same with lower fat intake. Foolish me. Maybe I'll get a second chance to learn it.

Closed Thread