It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

kelty3 HB User
now what?

I am Kelty3. I have listed a previous question on sphincter of oddi and whether or not anyone thought i could have it. Now I am begging for help. A few nights ago I went to a movie and afterwards on the way to pick up my son my pains that i get in my back and upper abdominals started to increase. It got to the point where I was in tears so my husband took me to the ER. I told the nurse and doctor about my problems and my recent gall bladder removal. They took my blood samples and did an x-ray or my chest and side to see if any of my organs were inflamed. Everything came out normal. During this however, although my pain had subsided quite a bit since I arrived they did decide to give me some morphine. About 5-10 minutes after the morphine injection my pain came back tenfold. It would get extremely bad to the point where I was trying to move anyway to get some relief but nothing worked. Then it would fade to almost nothing and in another 5 minutes would come back tenfold again. This repeated until the doctor came in and tried to calm me down (I was in tears and clenching my bedrail) and he decided to give me an anti-nausea medicine via my IV that evidently acts as an anti-spasm medicine also. He says he believes I have a bilary duct spasm (or something like that). Does anyone have an opinion? I'm 27 yrs old. Should I consider it could somehow be chronic pancreatitis or does a spasm sound right? Please give your opinions! I'm losing my mind with this!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
(female)

sammybelle HB User
Re: now what?

Kelty3, i am so sorry to hear about what you are going through. Your pains sound very similar to what i suffer with. I have been diagnosed with H. pylori, which apparantley isn't too serious (says the doctor). however I feel like i am dying wehn i have one of my "episodes".

I can't answer your question because i don't even REALLY know what is wrong with me. I was wondering if you could shine some light on my story. i suffer from extreme back and chest/abdominal pains. Mostly on my left side and center chest. However, it is under my breasts and all over my back! The pains are not constant, they occur pretty sporatically and last anywhere form 30 min-4 hours. i am not sure if I totally agree with my doctors diagnosis. Does this sound the same as the type of pain you had?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:18 PM   #3
(female)

kelty3 HB User

they do sound somewhat the same. Most of my pain seems to be on the right now though...although it does tend to spread through the entire back when i have an episode. i have been tested for h-pylori and it was negative. I am so confused and I know that my GI is talking to IU trying to get my appt. bumped up. This is a good thing because I don't know if I can wait until Sept. I assume that h-pylori can cause some of these symptoms since they tested me for it but have you ever had to go to the er for an attack? I've only gone one time with as severe of pain as I had before. Have they given you any other tests or just h-pylori? Does eating make it worse? Sometimes, certain foods will make me hurt worse. I want to help but I don't even know how to help me hopefully we can try and help eachother as best as possible. Are they treating you for the h-pylori and have the symptoms improved at all?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #4
(female)

crampster HB User

Gallbladder information can give you severe pain at times and the pain is mostly on the right side but can go around to the back and sometimes from right abdomen bottom of ribcage and up to the right shoulder. Unfortunately they can not always tell it is inflammation. I went through the tests and all came back normal. I had trouble if I ate and even if I didn't eat.

I wish you the best and hang in there. I have found a heating pad or hot water bottle can be soothing. Sitting seems to make the inflammation worse.
Crampster

Old 08-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
(female)

sammybelle HB User

kelty3,

They have began treating me for the h. pylori and i had 2 "episodes" or attacks after I began the medication. I haven't had any since last week. But to me that doesn't say a whole lot because i have had the problem for 5 years having an attack about every 6 months. So i am not convinced I am cureed. and to be honest the side effects of the meds are horrible, and they affect me every day. eating has some effect...maybe. i almost can't tell. My pain occurs mostly in the evening or middle of the night. And I use the word "mostly" delicately. in can happen whenever, but i have not pinpointed it to when i eat or what I eat.

i have gone to the ER once and by the time I got there the pain had passed, they siad it was anxiety, but no tests of any sort were done. I feel like I need to go to the ER when it happens, it feels a lot like how i imagine a heart attack to be. The difference between us is the right and left side. The right being indicative of a gall bladder problem, the left the stomach. But my pain is so high up...I don't know what is wrong with me. Now, due to the meds, I have become nauseaus, light headed, fatigued, and increased bowel movements have caused hemeroids.

i am beginning to feel likean old lady, and I am only 25! Something has got to change. i hope you get to feeliong better. Let me know how you are doing.

Last edited by sammybelle; 08-09-2006 at 01:19 PM.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #6
(female)

kelty3 HB User

hey! i have my momements when i feel better but i know how you feel because i'm only 27 and i'm falling apart. for everyone who has read this however, i must let you know that as of march 22 of this year my gall bladder was removed and therefore that is one thing i can eliminate it being. they have me on meds also...my doc gave me pain killers and some anti-muscle spasm stuff but neither work. the er doc gave me phenergan which is anti nausea medicine but he said it sometimes helps to calm spasms also. this does seem to help but i only take it at night because i tend to get dizzy and tired. just for everyone to know, i also have GERD, a hiatal hernia, and diverticulosis. this was all discovered when doing tests for my gall bladder. i'm not even sure it should have been removed. there were no stones or disease it just had an ejection fraction of 10%. i really hope you start feeling better and maybe it is h-pylori. at least then they will have found it and successfully treated it. when i find out what i have i will definately let you know. i have spent numerous hours researching my symptoms on the internet and looking for others that have them. did they rule out your gall bladder, pancreas and other internal organs? i'm assuming you had blood work that probally covered most of those possibilities. thank you all for responding and keep writing! i always like to have someone that i can talk to that is in my boat !

Old 08-09-2006, 06:36 PM   #7
(female)

crampster HB User

FYI anything per my GI doc 35% or under is not normal and means the gallbladder is not functioning correctly. Just thought you would want to know. I had gallbladder inflammation but my test results were all normal. Good luck ... it seems finding out what is wrong with us seems like a search for the right doc sometimes.
Crampster

Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 PM   #8
(female)

kelty3 HB User

that is what my doc said to but i was told by my GI that that doesn't mean it should be removed because removal can lead to more problems if it isn't absolutely necessary. i don't know what to believe anymore. you're right...i just want to know what's wrong with me now, because i can't change anything. thanks for the input...if you have any idea about what you think it may be, please let me know...i really like that some people are responding to this. didn't know if anyone would or not. thanks again!

Old 08-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
(female)

sammybelle HB User

Kelty3,

I did have bllod work, but all he said he was testing for was H. pylori. I don't know if they did any other testing at all, but I would assume so. It is the most frustrating thing to feel like you can't get better and not really know what's wrong. Even if all i have is the H pylori (which I hope it is), I still don't Really know what H. pylori is. I mean I have a vague idea, but nothing that tells me too much. It is still so new to the medical field. i have alos done internet research on my symtoms and I get results from gas- stomach cancer. It seems like all the pain for all the illnesses in you stomach area is the same?
Anyhow, i hope you to feeling better and maybe we'll chat later.

Closed Thread