It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
(female)

pob HB User
digestive problems

Hi,

Iím just wondering if anyone can help me out with these symptoms and how to proceed medically from here.

Up until a month ago I had little or no problems with my digestive system. I did (still do) have some pain at my right lower rib which actually feels like the rib is sore as opposed to something underneath being sore. This is worse when Iíve been sitting at the computer for a long time so I presumed it was a postural problem.

One evening about a month ago a pain develop just under my rib cage, pretty much in the centre but slightly to the right. Within 15 minutes this had become the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. Iíve had 2 babies and, seriously, this pain was worse. I was rolling around trying to find a position that eased it. I went to the shower thinking the warm water would help but I had to get out because I couldnít stand up. After about an hour, I got violently sick and after this the pain eased to a point where I could actually sit still. Over the next couple of hours it faded and went.

The next morning I went to my GP who thought it sounded like gallstones pain but I had no pain when he pressed on the area nor had I any history of reaction to greasy/ fatty food. I also hadnít eaten anything particularly greasy that day. In fact I hadnít really eaten anything other than fruit and yogurt for about 5 hours. He scheduled a US for the next morning anyway. The US was completely clear, no sign of any stones and everything looked completely normal. The radiologist did say it was possible that there had been a gallstone that had passed but there was no sign/ indication of it on the US.

Since then I havenít had any more attacks as such but my digestive system hasnít been quite ďrightĒ. First of all I have indigestion on an almost daily basis. Itís not bad but I never had it before except when I was pregnant. Itís also different to what I had when I was pregnant. Itís a burning feeling just at the top of my stomach, it doesnít move from thereÖ it used to come right up my oesophagus when I was expecting. Secondly, I have diarrhoea about once a week. The biggest trigger for this seems to be when weíve had roast chicken for dinner and I eat the leg i.e. the fattiest part. This did happen to me occasionally before but itís much more frequent now. I donít have a very fatty diet at the moment. In fact all of the trouble really started when I started losing weight. In the past 8 weeks Iíve lost about 10lbs, not particularly fast or excessive weight loss by any means. I have about another 16lbs to lose.

Do these symptoms sound like anyone elseís? If not gallbladder then what else?

Thanks

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: digestive problems

It is really hard to say it could be almost anything... but.. until you have a more regular pattern it could be almost anything. Suggest you keep a food log, pain, activity combination log so if you continue to have issues it will more likely be able to help pinpoint the issues. I have IBS, reflux and just had my gallbladder removed a couple of weeks ago after suffering for 6-9 months of issues that my docs kept thinking it was reflux or ibs.

The list of issues I had made it easier for them to determine it was probably gallbladder in spite of all the gallbladder tests being normal. In fact I had inflammation of the gallbladder that didn't seem to settle down I guess because the last couple of months I have been in almost constant pain to the point... the pain became normal.

I can only pass this on through my experience.... gallbladder pain is usually stationary.. i.e., it might hurt in a couple of spots but they are always generally in the same spots (i.e., under right ribcage, in same area on the back, maybe feels like a stitch in the side and sometimes in the right shoulder. Reflux usually and I do say usually be up the middle around sternum area but when you have a severe attack it can simulate a heart attack and scare the heck out of you sending you family calling 911. IBS can be anywhere where your intestinal tract is and can travel.. sometimes a hot water bottle will sooth the cramps. All of us are a little different... so what I have passed on to you is just my particular dealings and some may different.

Wish you luck and hang in there.
crampster

Old 08-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

P.

Your symptoms do sound like a gallbladder problems along with cramping or spasms of a hiatal hernia. It sounds like 2 different Problems. Campster is right you need more testing and get a pattern??

To really test your gallbladder function -- you need to have a gallbladder scan (HIDA Scan).

The severe pain in the middle of your chest just below the sternum -- a little left or right is usually a hiatal hernia problem many times caused by lacking magnesium in your diet--- read the thread at the top of this page by -- bluepumpkin -- his experience may help you ??

Harry

Old 08-15-2006, 02:49 AM   #4
(female)

pob HB User

Thanks for your advice Crampster and Harry,

I think you're right it could be 2 different problems. I know I can get a referral for further testing pretty quickly so i think because my symptoms are annoying rather than severe at the minute i'' wait a few weeks and keep a log of food and pain and maybe try the magnesium in the meantime.

Thanks

P

Closed Thread