It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2006, 04:56 PM   #1
(female)

jauz HB User
Lightbulb adbominal distention?

Hi. Ever since I can remember, my stomah/abdomen has become severely distended after I eat (usually a few inches). It happens whenever I eat or drink anything. If I eat a small amout, the distention is minimal, but after a normal meal, the distention is extreme. Every morning I wake up with a flat stomach, but as I eat throughout the day, the distention becomes worse and worse. By the evening, I feel bloated and uncomfortable and look pregnant. Can you please help. My doctor has said that she isn't worried because this is my only symptom (no constipation, etc) and because the feeling and distention are gone in the morning. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: adbominal distention?

jauz,
Perhaps you could use a little beano prior to eating to see if this will help. If you are worried you could also get a second opinion from a GI doc. In the meantme perhaps keep a food logbook so you can see if any particular food is causing this... dairy gives many people problems.

Good luck
crampster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2006, 05:51 AM   #3
(female)

o_janus_o HB User

Oh! That's terrible. That happens to me too, though not quite the same. Sometimes I bloat, sometimes I don't. I've noticed that I bloat more when I eat processed food. Water helps me to be able to belch it out and that's about the only thing that does. I take gas-x and that helps some, thought it takes a long time. I can't belch it out then. It has to work it's way through my intestines, and though it takes a while, it's worth it in the end.

I have acid reflux too, so I take antacids. Imediatly after I do that I can no longer belch AT ALL and I have to take a gas-x.

When I do belch I have to force it out. Bending over and squeezing my stomach muscles. Then it just sort of gurgles up my esophagus(sp?) and often most of it goes right back down.

It's terrible and I don't really know why it happens. Durring my period I bloat so badly that I can't stand up straight without terrible pressure on my organs.

And for whatever reason, like you, I seem to deflate in the night. I've sort of presumed it's because I'm completely relaxed.

I've learned, for obvious reasons, not to drink soda or anything carbonated. The one time I tried alka-seltzer to ease the bloating it was a disaster. I thought my fate would be like that of a seagull.

So other than that little bit, I have no real advice to offer, only commiseration. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
(female)

jauz HB User
Lightbulb Re: adbominal distention?

Thanks to both of you. I will try Gas-x for a while and let you know how it works. Thanks again!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

jauz,

It sound to me like the friendly bacteria in your gastro tract is out of balance and does not help your digestion -- resulting in bloating.

You could try eating a good brand of yogurt several times daily to help re-balance the friendly flora. You may also need a probiotic supplement twice daily to help. Also, Kefir is loaded with good friendly bacteria cultures.

The yogurts that I like best is Stonyfield Farm and Cascade-- both contain a number of friendly cultures.

If this does not work you may have the beginning of -- Gastroparensis-- a problem where your digestion is extremely slow. You may need to see a doctor to have your digestion tested for this condition,

God Bless~~~Harry

Old 08-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
(female)

jauz HB User

Thanks for your reply.
I'm currently trying to get an appointment with my doctor and will be sure to ask about gastroparensis. In the meantime, I will definitely try the yogurt.
I haven't had any luck with gas-x.

Thanks again...

Old 08-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

I would not think Gas X would have done much with yor problem. It is mostly to relieve trapped gas that usually goes away or is caused by swallowed air.

I really think your problem is a chronic digestive problem connected to your GI tract friendly bacteria.

You could also try taking a digestive enzyme-- I use Essential Enzymes by Source Natruals. It is good when eating a larger meal.
Maybe your digestive system is not putting out enough of some certain enzyme to fully digest protein, carbs or the other types of food.
But, I would try the friendly bacteria first -- as suggested !!

Harry

Last edited by Harry; 08-19-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:39 PM   #8
(female)

Izzybella HB User

Last edited by Izzybella; 08-01-2007 at 09:47 PM.

Closed Thread