It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 03:27 AM   #1
(female)

ShazzaUk HB User
Question Gastritis - Feel So Weak Sometimes!

Hi evry1, doc diagnised me last week with Gastritis and i have been prescribed nexium. Some days i feel so tired, weak and ill. Also on the bad days i suffer really badly with anxiety attacks

Has anyone else suffered this with Gastritis? ALso i work three evenings a week and the job i do is really manual, am i making my condition worse do you think?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
ShazzaUk

Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

nanci2539 HB User
Re: Gastritis - Feel So Weak Sometimes!

Hi

I've suffered with chronic gastritis for over ten years now. PPI's such as Nexium only made me feel worse. I tried every one and nothing helped.

You can try liquid carafate (prescription). Watch what you eat and stay away from caffine and alcohol for sure.

I have to say, my symptoms really haven't gone away. I have decent days and horrible days. My primary symptom is constant burning under my breast bone and into my stomach area. I never feel good. My worse time is bedtime.

Right now, as I type this; my stomach is burning.

I am now trying mastica gum; magneisum oxide and a digestive enzyme. I've only been taking these for a week now so maybe it's too soon for relief.

I wish I had a magic answer for you; it's the pits and you have my sympathy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

backslide05 HB User

Hi,
i'm also going to chime in and say you have my sympathy as well and I can relate to your pain and anxiety. i have acid reflux, and constant burning in my stomach, I believe an ulcer although have no insurance so haven't been able to afford to have it checked with a scope.

I have constant burning, and PPI's haven't helped me, made me sicker with the side effects.

I take Gaviscon once in awhile when it's really bad and that helps me a little.
I also eat very little but often since an empty stomach is worse for me. I crave dairy products for some reason, and eat that mostly.

I try to work on breathing deep and not getting too stressed. i have a parttime weekend job that is physical and some days it is hard but I don't think that in the long run it's bad to be doing things physically as long as you don't feel too weak and may injure yourself.

I am sure there are people who get over bouts of gastritis. Hopefully in your case, this may clear up on its own in time. Wish I could say something more positive or hopeful. I wish you well.

Old 08-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Have you looked into taking using Mastic Gum--- Do a Google search.
It certainly helps me~~~Harry

nanci -- With mastic gum -- I found it works better taking a probiotic supplement??

Old 08-22-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

nanci2539 HB User
Re: Gastritis - Feel So Weak Sometimes! - HARRY

nanci -- With mastic gum -- I found it works better taking a probiotic supplement??

Harry, I've been trying to follow your protocol but now wondering if I have the mixture wrong.

I take 400mg of magnesium oxide in the AM. A digestive enzyme during each meal and the mastic gum (two capsules) twice a day at 10AM and around 4-5PM.

Should I eliminate something or should I add a probiotic to the mix?

Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Gastritis - Feel So Weak Sometimes! - HARRY

nanci,
I eat yogurt several times daily, drink kefir every other day and take several probiotic supplements daily anyway along with a digestive enzyme with every meal. I also take a number of other supplements including vitamins and minerals including magnesium. Just because I think it is a healthy thing to do.

I only take Mastica when I get gastritis. When my Doctor prescribed Mastica for me he also told me to take a probiotic supplement. But, I was already taking PB-8 that was similar to the one he suggested and his office sold.
So yes -- you should take a probiotic supplement when taking Mastic Gum-- I think.

I wish you well~~~Harry

Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
(female)

nanci2539 HB User

Thanks Harry - I do eat yougart every day; Stoneyfarm mostly.

I'll check into the probiotics too.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:10 AM   #8
(female)

KatieS HB User

Hi Shazza
I know exactly how you feel. I am 22. I have had gastritis symptoms for years but only got diagnosed with chronic gastritis after I changed doctors and had an endoscopy. I also have celiac disease(can't eat wheat or gluten). So there isn't much I am allowed to eat which is annoying.
I was put on nexium for reflux- that didn't work- in fact I developed gastritis while I took it. Now I am on Pariet (PPI) and a very restricted diet (i can't drink or eat a huge list of things for 6 months) and it has worked better, although if I break the diet by accidently eating something I am sick for days. I hiccup constantly (though not as much as I used to). I really hope it goes away too because not being able to have a few drinks is really frustrating. Does anyone know if it is possible to get rid of gastritis? Or if it is possible to eventually drink a every now and then with it?

Old 08-27-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
(female)

Nal HB User

I too have horrible gastritis at times. I also have lyme disease and we wonder if thats not contributing. Ive been on a PPI for years and like the last poster, developed the gastritis while on it!! However whenever I try to come off of it, the burning pain does increase and the heartburn is unreal.

I am taking probiotics and started taking Mastic as well (although I have stopped for a few days since i had my gallbladder surgery on Friday). I feel more nauseated on the Mastic.

I restrict my diet-no gluten, good veggies, fiber and such. Thats tough too. i have also taken aloe vera juice and DGL licorice root. They help some.

What else am I missing? Do either of you know what caused your gastritis in the first place? Harry, how are you doing now on the Mastic?

Nancy

Old 08-27-2006, 09:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Nancy,
I have not had gastritis where I needed Masica in several years now. My last bottle when out of date in Nov. 2005.
Just have not needed it.
My gastritis is caused by antibiotics,
You may need to take a digestive enzyme with meals-- I take a Source Naturals product -- Essential Enzymes -- I rearly get heartburn or indigestion.

I wish you well w/ your No Gallbladder recovery ~~~

Harry

Old 08-28-2006, 06:17 AM   #11
(female)

Nal HB User

Thanks Harry. I still think that the prilosec is whats contributing to the gastritis in the first place (at least we know its not helping it) so coming off of it may help some.

Nancy

Old 08-29-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
(female)

Sugar675 HB User
Talking Re: Gastritis - Feel So Weak Sometimes!

Hi, I just got diagnosed with gastritis this week. I have had bad nausea every since it first started 6 weeks ago. Now the nausea comes in little waves throughout the day. Is this normal? Please help me, any advice would be appreciated!!

Old 08-29-2006, 10:21 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

WannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB UserWannaBeFreeToRoam HB User

Hi All,

Just butting in here. I have gastritis among other thing. I take Nexium for 1 hour before eating breakfast. It really works. The only time that I have to take an additional Pepcid Complete or Zantac or both, is when I just get too bad and eat too many things that I should not!!!

Another thing that is really important, is to have very good posture. Especially after you evening meal. If I find myself bending over at the waist, I make myself sit up more strait!!!

I take no supplements, but do eat yogurt and/or DanActive (10 x more than yogurt).

Just keep reading and talking and we will all learn a bunch of stuff to help us control our gastritis!!! No Stress Either!!! No laying down for 2 hours after eating!!!

Take care.

Wannabe

Last edited by WannaBeFreeToRoam; 08-29-2006 at 10:23 PM.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #14
(female)

Nal HB User

Thanks wannabe. However, I didn't get gastritis until I started prilosec. Who knows? There doesn't seem to be a magic answer for any of this. I am reading a book now called the Mind, Gut connection. Very interesting and very helpful.

Nancy

Old 08-30-2006, 11:10 AM   #15
(female)

nanci2539 HB User

Nal, post anything that can help. I head of that book.

I think I hold the award for the poster who has had gastritis the longest. It's been ten years now and after several scopes, the doctors are puzzled and only can come up with I have a sensitive esphogagus even though I don't have reflux.

I've tried everything. I'm now on the protocol that Harry used. I can't say it's working miracles but where I've had it so long, I will stick with it.

Gastritis usually heals; I dont know of anyone who has had this symptom for as long as I've had it.

Closed Thread