It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
Im terrified of GB surgery this Thurs, also need low-fat diet help please!!!

I have known that I needed my GB out for about 3 years now as I have had several attaccks. Nothing too terrible.

Well over the past week and a half I have had the constant pains, gb area, chest, and back.
I have surgery scheduled for Thursday.
I am SO SCARED I am going to die from surgery. All the risks scare me, I am anxious as it is, and knowing all the risks is driving me nuts.
I know I have to do this, because the stone is lodged at the neck (as of last U/S done about 3 weeks ago.

Here are my questions.
Has anyone experienced constant pains before surgery?
Chest pains? Left and right sided? Sometimes hurts more wehn breathing in?

What type of recipes can you guys share with me as far as low fat goes. I am starving and afraid to eat anything as I already have the constant jabbing and other pains.
Please help me. thank you

Scared to death of all of this

Dani

Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: Im terrified of GB surgery this Thurs, also need low-fat diet help please!!!

Dani,
Hang in there. I know it is a very scary feeling. I had surgery 3 weeks ago. I never told my family this but I had written each of them a letter... just in case. I wrote it the night before cause I was sooooo scared. As it turned out it wasn't as bad as I thought... but it hasn't been all that fun.

Are they going to try and perform laproscopic surgery? If so the healing time is much shorter that the full blown surgery. Laproscopic taks 2 to 4 weeks from what I understand. Hahaha if you behave... which.... I didn't.... at the end of my 2nd week I liftede something to help a coworker. I didn't think it was that heavy but.... my recovery degressed.

Look up low fat foods that you feel comfortable with. It is kinda hard for me to tell you what foods as we all have different preferences. For example I prefer pumpernickle bread with very lean thin sliced roast beef and provolone cheese. For some reason this is the only thing I have been able to eat that has been predictable. Other eat soup.... so spend your nervous time making sure you have everything you need for a while cause you will spend the first couple of days sleeping on pain meds and not feel like doing much.

You are not alone.
crampster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 04:53 PM   #3
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: Im terrified of GB surgery this Thurs, also need low-fat diet help please!!!

Also you might want to avoid banannas. Some people said they had issues with them... don't know if you will ... but... might want to wait a while before you try and eat banannas.

Maybe stick with light soups, mild fruits.

I would suggest staying away from brocolli or anything that gives you gas. You will have enough gas due to the surgery where they pump gas into your abdomen to do the surgery.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #4
(female)

mommy2brandon24 HB User

i am also getting gallbladder surgery september 5th and also really nervouse. i also get pain everywhere from my sides to my back i get attacks to all the time the last one was a little worse than the other ones i actually thought i was dying. i couldnt breath i was having very bad pain everywhere and heartburn really bad that i thought i was having a heart attack i almost wanted to go to the hospital but my mom calmed me down and gave me tums and something else and felt a tiny bit better im just glad that shes a nurse. ever since i came on here i started feeling a little better knowing that im not the only one going through this.

Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
(female)

danilee HB User

thanks crampter!
I have pains almost all the time. the most conerning are the pains in my chest. i don't get it, why this feels like pains in the heart and on the right side. the bak pains as well. i just prey all our surgeries go as planned and we have quick recovery. I am terrified seriously. I am so scared of being completely under anesthesia, the ventilator. all that scares me so much. BTW
I am a 27 yr old female. I noticed in one post people are curious how old others are, as am I

Old 08-22-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
(female)

crampster HB User

It is food that your mom is a nurse. She could probably tell you it will be okay... the worst part is the nervousness and fear. In all honesty I think it was harder having a baby. My 2nd child came so fast they couldn't give me an epidural in time to take away the pain. When I was not in pain I tried to do little chores here and there to get things done because I knew I would be out of commision for a couple of weeks.

There are a couple of other ladies on this site who just went through gallbladder surgery with me. PBJMom and GiGi D who both had their gallbladders removed over the last couple of weeks. We all have tried to help each other out with things we discovered about experiences and what foods we were able to eat. But in alll honesty you don't really feel much like eating for a couple of days.

crampster

Old 08-22-2006, 06:27 PM   #7
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I had surgery just a little over two weeks ago. It was just fine. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous as well. I am not a fan of surgery and I have had my fair share of them. I asked my surgeon to give me an EKG prior to surgery just on the safe side. He was totally fine with that. It was all about peace of mind and he seemed to know that would help all the way. Before the surgery the anesthesiologist asked me if I wanted a sedative. I didn't, but you may want to ask for that. IT will help calm you. Don't worry about the ventilator...I never even knew they put it in or took it out. I would recommend getting some Hall's menthol lozenges for afterward. It helps soothe a sore throat.

Like Crampster said, you won't really feel like eating afterward. I didn't eat a whole lot before because I had the constant pain like you. A stone had put itself near the opening, so no matter what I ate or didn't eat caused me to just feel awful. I had the chest pain and back pain and total nausea right up until the surgery. I was in the ER two days prior to surgery because the narcotic prescribed didn't help enough. They gave me something else and basically told me to just keep taking my drugs but on a schedule instead of just when it hurt. I was basically out of it for the next two days, but I couldn't stand being awake a lot...it just hurt so bad. NOW, all is sooooo much better. I am eating more as the days go by.

Rest as much as you can. Do not rush recovery. I ate soup broth (100% fat free vegetarian broth tastes just like veggie soup!) jello, water, and gatorade for the first day or so. Then I progressed to non-fat yogurt, toast and applesauce. Now about two weeks later I am eating spaghetti and salads and generally my normal diet. I have not eaten greasey or fast food yet...nor my favorite pizza. Maybe another week...

Basically, and I apologize for my longwinded post, you will be fine. It is scary, but just like all of us...we are fine now and had some of the same concerns as you. Just breathe and take it easy until surgery and most definitely after. Come back when you need us. It has helped me to have crampster and gigi here. We will be here for you as well...just post!

take care!
pbjmom

Old 08-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Basically no cheese, no oil, nothing fried. I ate turkey on whole wheat bread with mustard. Some yogurt. Plain baked potatoes. Low fat soups. That was about it. Boring but it worked. The surgery is very quick. AS the other poster said, you'll never know the tube was in. I was out for 40 minutes. While some people do have issues and problems, I was very lucky. Had it out on Monday, went to work 1/2 day on Wednesday, full days on Thursday and Friday, jogged two miles on Monday, back in the gym 3 weeks later. So it can be a very easy surgery. Just be careful with what you eat, move slowly and easily, pay attention to your body. You;ll be fine.

Old 08-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
(female)

crampster HB User

Danilee,
We all thinking about you.... will say a pray for a quick surgery and easy recovery. Just try and relax... I know this is easier said then done... but this was the first major surgery I had.... I think my fear made everything worse. Let us know how you are doing as soon as you feel up to it... probably be at least a couple of days. Remember eat very mild things like you would if you had a flu.
crampster

Old 08-23-2006, 05:25 PM   #10
(female)

crampster HB User

Re: what foods here are a couple ideas:

Fruits and vegetables -- fresh, frozen or canned are all naturally fat-free.

Rice, pasta and other grains ..whole grain is good fiber is also good.

Breads and cereals low in fat ... whole grain is healthier.

yogurt..avoid items made with whole milk... if you want cheese try and find fat free or lowfat.

Broiled, baked or grilled meats and vegetable much better than fried.

you will probably want to avoid foods that give you gas for the first week.

the pump gas in the abdomen to perform the surgery so it takes a while to get ride of the bloating from this, Best wishes from us all!!!
crampster

Old 08-23-2006, 06:03 PM   #11
(female)

pbjmom HB User

you will do so great tomorrow Dani! Just remember we are here for you and praying for a successful surgery. Like Crampster said, post back here when you feel up to it. Sleep when you can and start easy on liquids and food. Drink lots of water and gatorade after the surgery. Take care!!

pbjmom

Old 08-23-2006, 07:48 PM   #12
(female)

Gigi D HB User

Dani-
I meant to post sooner, but try not to worry so much about your surgery tomorrow-I'm sure everything will be just fine. Take comfort in knowing that you aren't alone-gallbladder surgery is a common procedure. I had it done recently, and I can tell you the surgery part is a piece of cake! Just take it easy during your recovery, as I'm sure others have told you. Don't be in too big of a hurry to get back to your normal lifestyle-listen to your body and let it heal slowly.
Good luck and I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM   #13
(male)

danielm HB Userdanielm HB User

The advice the other peeps here have given is all good. I had my gall bladder out last year and although I personally had complications, for most people it's a simple and straight forward proceedure with a quick recovery time. But when it's done, you're going to feel a whooooole lot better for it, I assure you!

Best wishes Dani!

Old 08-26-2006, 05:45 AM   #14
(female)

crampster HB User

Dani,
How are you doing? We haven't heard from you yet. Hope things went well.
crampster

Closed Thread