It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
GB surgery survivors ? Are pain meds necessary afrter surgery?

I hate vicodin, and most others. I prefer Advil/Aleve to anything else. They make me feel icky. Anyone else?
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
(female)

crampster HB User
Re: GB surgery survivors ? Are pain meds necessary afrter surgery?

Dani,
You will need something a little stronger for the first 2 to 3 days at least. Try Darvocet. it is mild and you can double up on it. I have issues taking Vicodin and stronger meds as they make me sick to my stomach. If you take the Darvocet make sure you have a little something a cracker or two in you.

Also make sure you have a heating pad or a light weight hot water bottle. The first day or two you will be very tender... unable to wear underwear even... night shirts are much more comfortable. You won't want much touching your tummy.
You probably won't be able to sleep on your sides or on your stomach. So do whatever you need to make sure you can be as comfortable as possible lying on your back.
crampster

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I took Tylenol 3 with codeine (that is all I was given) and they worked fine and then when the pain was less I took extra strength tylenol. I'm sure you don't HAVE to take them but I would suggest it as you will be in some pain afterwards and once the pain kicks in and you take something it will take a bit for it to "kick in".

Good Luck!

Old 08-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
(female)

crampster HB User

Also the heating pad helped me a lot... cause you are tender.
crampster

Old 08-22-2006, 07:31 PM   #5
(female)

pbjmom HB User

I was on percocet. It was fine on the 1 pill dose. I could have had two pills at a time, but I didn't need it. I do recommend some sort of stronger pill than Advil for the sleep factor. Sleep is so important in recovery. The pain from the gas used to inflate your abdomen will be painful after surgery. The stronger meds will help deal with that.

Good Luck!
pbjmom

Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Lortab was my drug. It worked great. Was on it for 2 days and then Aleve.

Old 08-27-2006, 10:44 PM   #7
(female)

Kimberley~ HB User

After my surgery i actually didn't take anything. I think I had gotten so use to the pain before had that it didn't really bug me. I was in the hospital 4 days with severe symptoms before they removed it (i was on the cancel list waiting for a spot in OR) and they sent me home with a script for Tylenol 3 with codeine and i think i might have taken one pill when i decided to go to work for 4 hours 3 days after surgery. more from my pants rubbing my incision.

I doin't know it is maybe cuz I am a bigger lady that i didn't feel it as much or what the deal was but i didn't want to rely on pain meds. They kept trying to give them to me in the hospital too and i wasn't taking it till i caught on that was why i wasn't a priority on surgery so i then started to take the morphine they were offering me.

Anyway good luck with the pain. Make sure you watch symptoms afterwards it can create a whole slew of issues. I'm still having issues from it 6 months later. Its pathetic and i am so mad

Old 08-30-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
(male)

Josh_B HB User

Everyone is going to be different.

I went to work the day after my surgery and was back in the gym 2 weeks later. I hear some people talking about taking 2 weeks off and thats just crazy to me....

Old 08-30-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Josh, don't you really feel blessed? I was off two days and then went back to work. Jogged 2 miles one week later. Everyone is different. I didn't have any gas pains..guess they got all mine out. An 80 year old man in my church was on the treadmill the day after his was out! No way was I going to lay around after I heard that!

Old 09-05-2006, 06:06 AM   #10

Birchbeer6 HB User

I just had my gall bladder taken out 2 weeks ago.....I didnt need to take any pain meds....the only thing that really bothered me....was the gas....and my throat from the tube they stuck down.....but other then that I didnt t hink it was painful....just sore.....

Old 09-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

kerri0500 HB User

after my hernia surgery last year the most i took was regular tylenol. They gave me a scrip but i did without it. I believe you should put the least amount of foreign stuff in your body as possible....it gets better with time...goodluck!

Closed Thread