It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
im feeling bad after my GB removal

im in some pain here. ive got this intesense sharp pain right where i used to have my attacks. they are saying that its gas pains, but it hasnt changed. been there since i woke up from surgery.
i am also wondering about the gas coming outta you know where, its stinks so bad and pains. i thought they said that the gas they inflate you with will NOT ome out your but??? So confused. plus I puked last night. so nauseas. so glad my surgeon called me in some zofran. i was just now able to take some pain meds because i was so sick from them. this suckssssssssssssss
dani
nal --how u doin?>

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 03:16 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: im feeling bad after my GB removal

Nausea from the pain meds happens to a lot of people. Eat a cracker or piece of toast with them. And yes, it's the gas causing the pain - most likely anyway. It will disipate but you need to move around to help it - walking. As for the other gas, that's just probably your system cleaning itself out and the liquids you've been taking in. However, that was one of my worst symptoms before the surgery! Whew! That's gone away, thank goodness!
Hope you get to feeling better in a day or so.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2006, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

crampster HB User

Danilee,
Hopefully the gas will pass. I think we all went through it and it does cause pain/discomfort. Hang in there and try and use a heating pad.
crampster

Old 08-26-2006, 08:18 PM   #4
(female)

danilee HB User

thank u. im trying the heating pad.imso hurting

Old 08-27-2006, 06:14 AM   #5
(female)

crampster HB User

Hang in there Dani,
It does get better.....it just takes time. I found out if you try to get back to norm too soon you add time to the recovery process. I am a little over 3 weeks post op and I finally feel a lot better...
however, if I overdo... i.e., lifting heavier items... I definately feel it for a couple of days. So don't be in a hurry to lift too much too soon. When I lifted something after 2 weeks I felt a "pop" the surgeon said I broke a stitch inside... I have to wait 6 months and see how things go cause I might need to get surgery for a hernia... not sure what a hernia is yet... but I think it has something to do with the healing having a protrusion because of the stitch breaking. I felt a godawful burning for 1 1/2 day where the stitch pop was and it may have torn a little skin inside. SO.... take my advice ... don't push too hard too fast...

I'm not sure but I have a feeling the younger you are the faster you heal.... I am in mid 40's so.... that plus I was inpatient cause I am not use to being inactive. Either way... slow and steady. About 3 to 4 days post op you should be walking small distances around the house more frequently.

Are you able to stand erect yet?
crampster

Old 08-27-2006, 06:33 AM   #6
(female)

crampster HB User

You could try a heating pad also... it helped me a lot. You will feel better after the swelling, and gas settle down.
crampster

Old 08-27-2006, 08:21 AM   #7
(female)

danilee HB User

well, i am still feeling bad. its this pain under my right ribcage. it feels like its so hard to breathe in and out. its been there since i got out of surgery. it was worse, but i cant stand it!

I had outpatien surgery. I was in at 9:15 checked in, surgery at 10:55 and in the car at 2:45, freaks me out that it was so quick. I am 27 years old. Pretty active chasing my 3 yr old son all around, other than that i dont exercise.

The heating pad didnt really help, this pain is weird. It feels like gas would, but its trapped in there or someting. i hope it comes out soon, id be SO much better if it werent there!

Also, you all seem like you are upwalking around so soon, im in bed MOST of the time still, is that normal? I only get up to use the bathroom and circulate my legs every couple hours for a few minutes. am i doing the right things?
thanks eveeryone

Old 08-27-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I think you had yours out Thursday? Or Friday? Either way, you should be up walking as much as you can. It will help with the gas and also witht he incisions. Now, I don;t mean walking all over the mall. But around the house, out to the yard, etc. You have to get moving or you're going to be sore a lot longer than you should be.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #9
(female)

danilee HB User

it hurts real bad to move around, i cant believe this everyone said not so bad but i struggle to take deep breaths!

Old 08-27-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Then don't take one! You don't need to walk so much that it needs that kind of breathing. We mean just move around, slowly. From what you've said, it's not the incisions so much as the gas from the inflation. And depending on your size, it took more or less than with others. It will dissipate but you really need to move some to help it along or you're going to be in pain much longer. Did you shower today? That should really help you! Honest.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:23 PM   #11
(female)

danilee HB User

oh yes ive showered! one yesterday one today. i suppose thats all i can do is baby steps!
i had those compression stockinxgs, extra precaution i guess.
my stomach is fat and i have extra skin due to weight loss after 2 pregnancies (1 was twins)
so maybe they needed more gas too fill up my flab!!!!!!!!
thanks for all your help. i keep thinking my doc damaged somethinng or there is a blocked duct, like my stone got loose or something..
thanis again

Old 08-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #12
(female)

Nal HB User

Hi Danilee!

Sorry, I just saw this post today. When did you have your surgery? Mine was on Friday.

The pain you are feeling under your right rib cage? I had that really bad until earlier today-more like cramping but still hurt to breath too deeply or even move around too quickly. Still there a little today but getting better.

Im really tired and weak today too. Have to really, really make sure we don't overdo this!!

One question, have you had a bowel movement yet since the surgery? If not, you might want to check and see if you can use an enema to get things flowing. Thats what I finally had to do today and that relieved a lot of the pain and pressure.

Ice packs have helped a lot along with not laying flat but propped on pillows a lot during the day. I pace the house too but nothing strenuous. Eating is also essential if you can do it! Maybe try a protein shake, pudding, something soft, etc?

Let me know how you are doing this evening my surgical buddy! I hope the pain heals quickly for you! If the rib pain is still bad tomorrow, Id call your dr and see what they recommend.

Nancy

Old 08-27-2006, 03:38 PM   #13
(female)

pbjmom HB User

Hi guys!

I had the same problem with deep breaths. It is all better now, but I could feel it days after the surgery. Sitting up or talking a lot seemed to aggravate it. I think it is a combination of gas in the area and just adjusting to the effects of surgery. Laying down helped. Just give it time.

Precocet was the drug given to me. I generally took it at night to sleep well enough. MAybe one during the day depending on pain. I stopped all of it and stayed with extra strength tylenol after 4 days.

Keep resting!
pbjmom

Old 08-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #14
(female)

danilee HB User

feel better but im still having the sharp stabbing pain in my side where the gb was and in my chest. ive been walking a lot more around the house, but nothing helps these pains. i feel like a baby complaining.

how are you nancy?

Old 08-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #15
(female)

Nal HB User

Danilee,

Im doing ok today. Still really weak and I get dizzy pretty easily if I move around too much. Is that happening to you too?

If you pain is still that bad, I would definately be calling my dr.. You don't need to walk around in that much pain. I can definately tell if I am overdoing it around here too-my whole side will start to ache if I am on my feet for too long.

Im not sorry I did it though. My GB looked terrible and it needed to come out. I wonder how long a person feels "gallbladder like" pain though after having the surgery?

Hang in there lady!

Nancy

Closed Thread