It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2006, 07:24 AM   #1
(female)

danilee HB User
post surgery questions

Ok this is for any surgery.

Did they put those compression stockings on your legs? How long after did you wear them for?

(my thighs are sore from the tightness of them)

What type of pain meds did they use. I had morphine , and demerol.
Came home with darvocet (I hate vicodin) and Darvocet made me puke. Now Im taking Motrin. What about you all>>>????
thankyou

Old 08-27-2006, 09:46 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: post surgery questions

Well, first of all, no wonder you've had nausea! Morphine and demerol are heavy duty drugs. And will make oyu feel weird for a long time! All I took was Lortab...while at the hospital and after I got home. I've had several surgeries over the years and never had the compression stockings. My understanding was that those were used for people with circulation problems and those having vascular/heart/circulatory surgeries. I've never heard of anyone getting them for a simple GB removal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2006, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

MFord1206 HB User

I had my gb out in April of this year. I did have the compression stocking things put on my legs before surgery, and when I woke up, they were gone. When they put them on in pre-op, I was told it was a precaution against blood clots. I am 20 and have no circulatory or vascular problems...so I'm not really sure why I had them.

About pain meds...I stayed overnight after the surgery (i'd already spent a 6 days in hospital before the surgery...had acute cholecystits) and I received dilaudid IV. But when I went home the next day, my surgeon had me on Combunox...a combo of Oxycodone and Ibuprofen. It helped, and I took it for probably three or four days max, then switched to motrin or advil, which helped just as well.

Megan

Old 08-27-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
(female)

Nal HB User

I had to wear the stockings as well. Surgeon told me they do that as a precaution now. Im 34 and no circulatory problems either.

Call your dr tomorrow and see if you can switch to percocet or something else. Vicodin makes me sick and my surgeon doesn't really like it either. I cant take demerol because I am allergic to it so they just gave me morphine in the hospital (did absolutely nothing!) and the percocet.

Nancy

Old 08-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #5
(female)

Froggiegirl HB User

I had my gallbladder removed on May 12, 2006. I put on the stockings (thigh high) right before surgery and they stayed on until the next morning when I went home. I also had SCDs which are like a pump device which inflates and deflates, hooked up to the legs to prevent clots. I had to go to the bathroom so often that my mom and I figured out how to disconnect them ourselves and then reconnect them. By the time Mom left for the day I was a master at it. Truthfully I was up so often to go to the bathroom that I was walking around and probably did not really need the SCDs but better to be safe than sorry. I also received 2 shots of heparin in the hospital. Considering that my mom had a pulmonary embolism after lung surgery, I was delighted to have all those precautions.

As for pain meds, I received Percocet in the hospital and was discharged on NO PAIN MEDS. I just used Tylenol for a couple of days.

Hope you are feeling better.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

I had my GB removed in March/05 and I did not have to wear any stockings. I was given Gravol for nausea when I woke up after surgery and demerol for the pain. When I left the hospital I was given a prescription for tylenol 3 with codeine(sp?). I never did take them I took extra strength tylenol instead and it helped.

Closed Thread