It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #1

Uninsured! HB User
Need some GB surgery info

Hi. Just had to have emergency GB removal surgery. I have no insurance, and I hear horror stories about hospitals overcharging for surgeries when the patient has no one to fight for them. Does anyone know what insurance companies pay for this procedure? I had it done laproscopically, and had an ultrasound and a Catscan to diagnose it. Any help anybody can offer would be great. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2006, 10:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: Need some GB surgery info

It will be very costly-- But as long as you pay something every month -- you'll be OK.
The cost Insurance companies pays is about half or less than what you will be charged.

Sorry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2006, 05:31 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Mine was around $6000 for the surgery and doc...of course, I didn't pay that and neither did the insurance company. The ultrasound was separate from that and I have no idea how much it was.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:51 PM   #4
(female)

Gigi D HB User

My gallbladder surgery was a little over $11,000 (not including surgeon fee) even with the provider discount. My insurance company paid the full amount, fortunately for me.
Like someone else said, though, you'll be able to make monthly payment arrangements. Just be sure to call to set them up when you receive your bill.
Good luck!

Old 09-01-2006, 04:03 PM   #5
(female)

crampster HB User

Haven't gotten all my bills in as yet but the doctor's office said his bill alone would be about 2,000 and that did not include the hospital bill... etc.

Someone did advise me though that if you make payments the hospitals expect you to make the same amount each time... i.e., $50 a month etc... and that if anyone thought they would have a problem continuing the monthly payment they should not start the payment high to begin with.

crampster

Old 09-01-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
(female)

Gigi D HB User

Also, keep in mind that you don't pay interest on your medical accounts. So like Crampster said, set your payment plan for only what you can afford and that will allow you to still pay off any credit accounts that do charge you interest.

Old 09-02-2006, 11:12 AM   #7

Uninsured! HB User

Thanks to all that replied. Does anyone know a way to get them to only charge me what is fair? I know fair and hospital bills don't exist on the same planet (anybody see what the U of Pittsburgh Hospital posted for profits?) but shouldn't they have to charge the same amount?

Old 09-04-2006, 06:21 AM   #8
(female)

Gigi D HB User

Unfortunately, I don't know what you can do about that.
I don't know what your financial situation is, but most larger hospitals provide financial assistance to those that qualify (check the back of your bill for info and application). I had my gb surgery done at a smaller community hospital, but had 2 other surgeries done this year at a large hospital. The larger hospital offers up to 100% assistance depending on your income and family size. It's worth checking out-even if you have a decent yearly income, you may still qualify to have at least a sizeable portion of your surgery covered for you.

Closed Thread