It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2006, 03:09 AM   #1
(female)

violetmagenta HB User
Question problems with stomach emptying, etc.

My name is Amanda,m I am 25 and for the last week, I have had all kinds of digestive problems...

First, I woke up on Thursday morning last week and became very nauseous and then vomited. It consisted entirely of stomach acid and hurt pretty bad. Ever since then, I have had terribly excruciating pain attacks in my lower abdomen, from gas, I have been feeling like I need to pass gas or use the restroom a lot, needing to belch but having trouble and basically feeling nauseous and pained in the upper abdomen around the stomach/esophagus area. It also feels like when I eat my stomach just won't empty.

I don't know what's going on...I know I'm not pregnant, because I just had a normal period, and I know it's not stress, because the only thing I need to worry about is classes and all this has been happening while I am currently on break. I've been drinking plenty of water and eating things like light meats, bread, rice, beans and lettuce. I have however been drinking a lot of coffee.

Help???

Old 09-04-2006, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User
Post Re: problems with stomach emptying, etc.

Amanda,
You need to cut out the coffee right away, it is probably contributing to your symptoms. It sounds like you are suffering from gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and that needs to be treated right away before the stomach acid damages your esophagus.
I know this sounds like a commercial but, it's true .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-04-2006, 12:13 PM   #3
(female)

violetmagenta HB User
Re: problems with stomach emptying, etc.

Now that you mention it...reflux problems do run in the family. My dad has had it bad in the past but he has a good remedy for it. I just didn't know that that is what it could be. I have heard that putting a 1 inch thick book underneath each leg at the head of your bed works to calm it down. Has anyone been prescribed those purple capsules for it? (I forgot what they are named.)

Today I can feel pain and bloating in my lower abdomen. This really bites. But I do feel like the tummy has emptied. Maybe I should try some light exercise to get things moving a bit better? Yoga?

Old 09-05-2006, 01:38 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

moviestr_20 HB User
Re: problems with stomach emptying, etc.

You guys, didn't it ever occur to you that GERD and Gastroparesis are slightly the same, however the differences are... "stomach emptying problems" does NOT correside with GERD.

Gastro = Stomach, PARESIS= Delayed stomach emptying

With Gastroparesis, we ALSO have gerd problems, but it isn't diagnosed GERD. It's simply just that... "acid reflux". Because with Gastroparesis we experience a whole combination of problems such as: constipation, constant belching/burping, no appetite, weight loss (in most) weight gain (in few), acid reflux, pain in abdominal area (usually in the left side, some has it on the right..mine is Upper left quadrant & lower left/right quadrant of the abdominal region), constant vomiting, stomach not emptying and puking foods from day or 2 or 3 ago.

There are sites out there that gears toward gastroparesis--google it and you'll find it

you listed several foods you're eating and those foods are a BIG NO-NO for those who have stomach emptying problems such as: beans, food with skins (basically all veggies), meat products.

I would also highly suggest you stop the coffee for right now until you get some acid reflux medicine like, Nexium, tums, and etc...
Fortunately you're lucky that with GP (gastroparesis) coffee is OK for us.

good luck and I wish you the best.

oh and i highly recommend you get a GES study done-- (Gastric Emptying Study= GES), it involves eating scramble eggs with radistope in it & drinking some liquids...this test will indicate how fast food empties from your stomach to your small intestines (digestion). Unfortunately in my case it doesn't at all thus leaving me with 2 feeding tubes-- one to vent acid out of my stomach, and the others for meds/formulas.

good luck
jen

Last edited by moviestr_20; 09-05-2006 at 03:12 PM.

Closed Thread