It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 08:11 AM   #1
(male)

joelchicago HB User
constipation 6 weeks after GB out, continues

Hi all, been a while since I've been here.

Had my GB out in 6/06 for sludge issues.

Bowel function was pretty normal with bouts of diarrhea when I ate too fatty a food for about 6 weeks. Then I got constipated. Far worse than usual. I'm 33, male. I only ever go 2-3 days without a BM, but usually it's hard and daily.

And the constipation remains. Now, before anyone cries "FIBER!", let me tell you that I got that talk from the doc 3 years ago with the onset of internal hemhorroids, so I'm taking Metamucial every day, doing my fruits and veggies, etc. This is an ongoing battle.

I'm noticing that that it gets worse when I eat sugary stuff, but that's a trend I'm just noticing now (I think).

I'm curious - has anyone else gone through this? Eating 25-45 grams of fiber a day and still constipated? Doc blows me off every time I mention it, like it's normal. I'm starting to seriously wonder about early Type II diabetes setting in, as I understand that can be one of the symptoms. My blood work keeps coming back normal, but my triglycerides are always slightly high and my fasting glucose level is at the top of its acceptable range.

Anyone got experience here? It seems like it could just be IBS, but I'm not a big believer in that - there's always a CAUSE for IBS, usually doc's just can't or won't take the time to find it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: constipation 6 weeks after GB out, continues

hi Joel

I had stoamch issues for a while. was constantly fobbed off by docs, even when i was rushed to hospital on several occasions with a twisted bowel they still pushed me to one side. Eventually after months of changing my doc and finding a genuine, considerate gi doc i found out what was wrong and surgery followed. I should have had the surgery a long time ago. But thats another story.

Anyway my point is ............keep pressing the docs until you find out what is wrong and are satisfied with the diagnosis. Too many docs like to class people as having IBS just because they don't know what else is wrong or coz they can not be bothered to expand their expertise.

My personal opinion is that far too many people are being wrongly diagnosed with IBS.

Keep trying and dont give up until you are satisfied that all avenues have been explored.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread