It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2006, 09:25 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
lower esophageal sphincter (les) not closing?

My endoscopy showed today that my lower esophageal sphincter(LES) does not close properly when food is swallowed. So basically acid from my stomach is able to make it's way up because it is not closing, I think. My doctor didn't really say much about it, but I do have an appointment to talk to him about it next week. Anyone know about this kind of thing? Is it dangerous? He didn't act concerned and I didn't really ask any questions because I was still out of it from the aneshtesia, by the time I came out of it he was already gone. He also told me to start taking three prisolec a day for a few weeks.

Thanks for reading, any knowledge on this kind of thing would be greatly appreciated.

Carisa

Old 09-15-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Thumbs up Re: lower esophageal sphincter (les) not closing?

Hello Carisa....Your symptoms sound very much like Achalasia. A condition whereby the LES (Lower Esophageal Sphincter has difficulty in opening and closing sufficiently to control the emptying of food from your esophagus to your stomach. It also prevents the gastric release of acids to re-uptake to your esophagus in helping to digest foodstuff. Your Physician appears to be just treating your symptoms and not the cause(typical these days). I would recommend a good Gastroenterologist as well as a procedure called an Upper Endosocpy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

carisa HB User
Re: lower esophageal sphincter (les) not closing?

Thank you, I will look into that. How is that different than the regular endoscopy that I had?

Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
(male)

Barrygood HB User
Thumbs up Re: lower esophageal sphincter (les) not closing?

Hello Carisa......Anything as potentially serious (if it is) as Achalasia should be looked after by a very qualified and experienced Gastroenterologist who can then take the necessary tests including the Upper Endoscopy to make the final determination. They are more familiar with what to look for as well as the taking of additional "tests" to determine if it is Achalasia. The treatment options are limited for this Illness with Laproscopic surgery being the one that is relied upon the most if "symptoms" continue.

Closed Thread