It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2006, 08:21 AM   #1

Strat0sphere HB User
Surgery the answer?

I've had a lazy colon (no peristalsis) for 2 1/2 almost 3 years now. I'm only 16, and I want to lead a normal life. I'm going to college soon, and I can't be missing school as much as I have because of these stomach problems. I'm wondering, is a large bowel resection right for me?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User
Re: Surgery the answer?

I wouldnt recommend surgery, im no doctor but a resection can't fix this problem can it???

Have you seen a gi doc?? if so what have they said?

Surely increasing your fibre and water will help kick start the colon again, obviously it will take time but this may help???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2006, 02:33 PM   #3

Strat0sphere HB User

We've tried fiber, laxatives, colonics, enemas... And nothing has changed.

Im currently trying to get ahold of my G.I. doctor to talk to him about this.
Last Dec. I had an endoscopy and we found out that I dont have the normal amount of sucrase, lactase and maltase enzymes. Ive avoided these foods greatly, and seen no change.

I dont think there is necessarily a connection between my food intolerances and my constipation.

I wish there were more G.I. doctors around here that would see minors--It takes months to MAKE an appointment with mine, who's 4 hours away.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A colon resection will not help a lazy bowel.

The things that you mentioned will cause a lazy bowel.
laxatives, enamas, colonics and some fibers!!

To have normal BMs a person needs 25 to 35 grams of fiber daily. And, it needs to be a combination of both insoluble and soluble fibers.

There are basically 2 types of fiber -- soluble fiber and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber absorbs fluids and bulks up your stools whereas insoluble fiber cause the muscles contractions to move digested food through your intestines (pereistalsis).

The insoluble fiber is all fruits and veggies, and the outer part of grains used in cereals-- bran also including the outer part of beans and peas, along with nuts and seeds.

Soluble fiber is the inner part of all grains like rice, corn, barley, wheat and the inner part of beans and peas-- green beans are insoluble. Also, root veggies like potatoes, carrots, beets and turnipsare soluble. And of course all the soluble fiber supplemeents like psyllium-- Metamucil, Citrucel, Benefiber and FiberChoice-- chicory root-- Inulin.

I think you need to eat the kind of foods that cause your intestinal muscles to function. Like more fruits, veggies and bran cereals. And, train your colon!!

God Bless~~~Harry

Closed Thread