It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2006, 12:02 AM   #1
(female)

joybdean HB User
Question HIDA Scan and feeling sick

Hi All,

I posted a few times over the past month or so regarding what I think is gallbladder related. Long story short, I've been suffering for 6 months with issues and the last two have been mostly nausea after fatty/fried foods. I finally got in to my GI and she ordered a HIDA scan. Had that today and during the test I didn't experience nausea to the degree that I normally do, but I did have some nausea. However, it did progress to that point over the rest of the day. Of course, nobody but me knows that since it didn't happen while I was being tested. The tech didn't tell me anything about the results, but do you think I'm safe in saying this proves the nausea is related to the gallbladder? As much as I don't want surgery, I'm hoping I "failed" the test because that means they can get this thing out and I'll feel better!

Thanks,
Joy

Old 09-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #2
(female)

joybdean HB User
Re: HIDA Scan and feeling sick

Anyone heard or know if having symptoms during the test (and after) is a good indication of poorly functioning gallbladder????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
(female)

LALA6 HB User

Just wanted to let you know that I am going through the same thing.When I had my HIDA scan the tech asked if I was in pain.Which I did have some but it was minimal compared to what I normally have.He also told me that it didnt look like my gallbladder was doing what it should.Anyway the results were that it was functioning at 29% which is low but some dont consider low enough.I did have a consult with a surgeon and it seemed to me that because there were no stones one of the deciding factors is if you experience pain during the scan.I havent had the surgery yet.

Old 09-20-2006, 03:08 PM   #4
(female)

joybdean HB User

Thank you for responding LALA6! Your message gives me hope that this may soon be over Do you have an estimate on your surgery date? Did you already know a surgeon or was one reccommended by your dr? If it comes to surgery, I'm not exactly sure how to go about finding a surgeon. My GI did say she could a recommend a very good surgeon - whether the surgeon is very good or not, who knows. In a way I figure if she was just recommending someone with a kickback of some kind that she would have just said surgeon, not very good surgeon. Who knows...

Thanks again for responding!

Joy

Last edited by Administrator; 03-28-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
(male)

hurtinbad HB User

Hi, to make my long story short... I had a HIDA scan in June I felt fine until they administered the drug. I felt NO pain but horrible nausea. I never came closer to vomiting. I was also clammy and faint. It lasted only a few minutes and after I walked to the cafereteria and ate a large lunch with no problems. My function was 6% and I wanted my gallbladder removed. I had to beg the surgeon to remove it after the first two I saw refused.I had no stones so to them it was not my source of my pain. I had severe pain every night in my back that is 99% better now. Good luck

Old 09-20-2006, 04:58 PM   #6
(female)

LALA6 HB User

I have not opted to have surgery yet.I met with the surgeon which was referred by my pcp.I honestly just got more freaked out after I saw him.He said that he would take it out but their were no guarantee that that was my problem.That was all I needed to hear to make me run.I am sure that eventually I will have to,but for now I am just dealing with it.He did tell me that it could be later.I just have to say that my heart truly goes out to people suffering with digestive issues.It is very difficult to convince yourself that it is not something life threatening with all the strange symptoms and its even more difficult convincing doctors that you feel this way.I wish you luck with your results and hopefully you wont chicken out like me.Let me know what the results of your scan were.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 PM   #7
(female)

joybdean HB User

Oh hurtinbad, that sounds awful. I have had times when I feel very close to vomiting, but I don't. I actually felt that way about 30 minutes after the test and on and off for the rest of the day. I"' very curious as to the results of the test. How long before you received your results? I would think they know right away since it's a percentage of what's there to begin with and what's there after the CCK. Test results always take longer than I want them to

Thanks for responding and I'm glad you are feeling better!

LALA6 - My GI did say having the gallbladder out because of the HIDA scan results doesn't always solve the problem. That doesn't scare me away from it though. I'm finding that my nausea is appearing more frequently now and at times when I haven't necessarily eaten something high fat. Plus I'm getting tired of cereal, salad, and grilled chicken. I want some fat! Hopefully I"ll get the results soon - the waiting is driving me crazy!

Joy

Last edited by Administrator; 03-28-2012 at 07:12 PM.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
(female)

asailorswife HB User

Hi,
I had my HIDA scan yesterday. I too was very sick and almost throwing up. I guess it is normal due to the injection. The tech injected it slowly in like 4 different increments.

I could see my gallbladder draining but at the end of the test they said it didn't look as though it drained very much. I guess I will see when I get the results.

The tech's told me that if it is functioning at below a 35% level then they usually want to take it out. I am dealing with military doctors. I have frequent pain on my right side and feel sick with almost everything I eat.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
(female)

tioasap HB User

Wow! After 8 years of problem and then a final 9 day "pain episode" we finally decided to check my gall bladder again. I had the hidascan and it showed 10% function. I found that out Monday and the surgery is scheduled for this Friday. I was questioning the surgery a little, but I feel better now after reading these posts.

When I had my hida scan and the technician put the medicine in my IV that was supposed to stimulate my gallbladder I only felt one quick spasm and nothing else. It was NOTHING like the pain I had been feeling during the last episode. I don't think the physical reaction during that test in any indication of how bad your gall bladder might be functioning. I also felt one wave of nausea and then it passed.
Results after hidascan and ultrasound: 10% function, stones and a polyp (love that word).

Bye Bye gallbladder!!!!!

Closed Thread