It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
(female)

randjj1 HB User
Constant left upper abdominal pain

Was wondering if anyone has any insight. I have had constant left upper abdominal pain for 5 months now. Colonoscopy, CT scan, bloodwork all negative. When it first started it was under my ribs and I had a lot of gas/burping. Over the months it has varied in intensity and location from upper to mid to back - now I'm not as gassy, but it has settled into kind of a vague feeling like my skin is inflamed just under the surface and is in my upper left abdomen and back. It is sensitive to light touch (especially if it's unexpected like leaning over something and not thinking about it). Not affected by eating or BM. Better when lying down. Also seems to alternate with left hip/back pain which feels muscular - don't know if this is related in some weird way. The pain has never gone completely away in 5 months - either I have the hip/back pain or the burning sensitive upper abdomen and back. Any thoughts? Could it be nerve related or muscular/myofascial? Any suggestions on other tests/what it could be?
Thank you for any input. I'm posting on the neuro board too.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:51 PM   #2
(female)

birden57 HB User
Re: Constant left upper abdominal pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by randjj1
Was wondering if anyone has any insight. I have had constant left upper abdominal pain for 5 months now. Colonoscopy, CT scan, bloodwork all negative. When it first started it was under my ribs and I had a lot of gas/burping. Over the months it has varied in intensity and location from upper to mid to back - now I'm not as gassy, but it has settled into kind of a vague feeling like my skin is inflamed just under the surface and is in my upper left abdomen and back. It is sensitive to light touch (especially if it's unexpected like leaning over something and not thinking about it). Not affected by eating or BM. Better when lying down. Also seems to alternate with left hip/back pain which feels muscular - don't know if this is related in some weird way. The pain has never gone completely away in 5 months - either I have the hip/back pain or the burning sensitive upper abdomen and back. Any thoughts? Could it be nerve related or muscular/myofascial? Any suggestions on other tests/what it could be?
Thank you for any input. I'm posting on the neuro board too.
The left abdominal pain that you have, I had it and it would go up in my back on my left side, I had it for about seven months, I had been on nexium for about three years, so after all kind of tests the endoscopy,colonscopy,ultrasound, cat scan , all kind of blood test,
all the doctor told me was take the nexium, so I thought it was the nexium that was why I had all the bad pain that I was having, so I just stop taking it , in about one month after stop taking it,all of my symptoms was gone, what I was taking the nexium for was heartburn, and that is all that it did help, after taking it for three years, two days off of it I had the heartburn, but I will take the heartburn any day, cold water can help the heartburn sometime, why take something that will make you have all kind of symptoms.
I do not know if you are on any ppi,
but the way you said your was is just like I was.
I sure hope that you will fine something that will help you, I know how you feel.
birden

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-30-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
(female)

chebird HB User

I've had pain under my left rib, too, since taking pain pills for a bum disk. Maybe our spleens are rebelling. Original poster, have you started any new medication? Do the drs want to try anything else?

Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
(female)

birden57 HB User

No I am not taking anything now , and I feel better off of it, the more that I take it the more side effects I had, the last time I was at the doctor he told me to stop the nexium and he put me on protonix, well I take it for about one month and I still had all kind of pains, back pain, side pain, throat,pain, jaw pain, gum pain, my abdominal pain in my left side and sometime in my right side and the pain would go up in my ribs , a tingling feeling in my legs and arms, and weird dreams and nightmares , wake up with a dry throat, I did not have any of the thing that I have just told you about befour I still taking the mexium , I been see the gastroenterology for three years and when I went to him the frist time I went for just heartburn, but after taking the nexium , the symptoms that I was having was day and night, and it take me one month of be off of them for the side effects to stop.
I will take the heartburn two or three time a week.
hope you will find something will help you to.
birden

Old 01-12-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Just read another post where a woman had been taking a ppi & ended up having inflammation of her pancreas. She said it felt swollen & painful.

Your back/hip might be a connected if it's on the same side, and in some way you're compensating for the discomfort. Have you ruled that out with a chiropractor?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:26 AM   #6
(female)

GILLY1 HB User

I was the same I should get tested for hy pylori

Closed Thread