It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 AM   #1
(male)

johnj1984 HB User
Constant Nausea.... Antibiotics?

I'm a 22 year old male. always been healthy untill 2 months ago. I had an ear infection and was prescribed an anti-biotic (azythromycin). the first day i took anti-biotics i got sick. I vommited every day for the next two weeks and lost 12 pounds. I went to the Doctor again and she gave me Aciphex and told me i had too much acid. I had no heartburn though so i thought that was odd. The aciphex stopped the vomiting, but did nothing for the nausea. after two more weeks i had an upper endoscopy done. They didn't find anything wrong. The doctor told me to stay on the aciphex and I should feel better. None of the docors will tell me if the antibiotcs are the reason for all of this. they just keep sayin i have too much acid probobly. I'm starting to think that this is all just caused by the antibiotics. It has been 7 weeks sence I first got sick and I was wondering if anyone knew if the antibiotcs could be responsible for all of this. If so, what can I do to help ease the nausea? Thanks

Old 11-17-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User
Re: Constant Nausea.... Antibiotics?

John,

Unfortunately, antibiotics cause a LOT of problems. They get rid of infections, but they also destroy the good bacteria that helps to keep us healthy. Antibiotics can cause things like IBS, mental disorders, immune disorders, headaches, more infections (ironic isn't it), diarrhea, VOMITING, nausea, GERD, and many, many others.

I would definitely say that what you are experiencing is indeed from the antibiotics. Unfortunately, doctors swear by antibiotics and won't admit that they cause problems. You could be having large amounts of acid without knowing it. Sometimes high levels of acid can cause a lot of stuff with out even having heartburn. But still, I would say that that was probably caused from the antibiotic. It probably killed off the good bacteria that protects the lining of your stomach, thus causing irritation a nausea.

Plus, the antibiotic you said? It was Azyrthormycin, right? It sounds similar to one that I've been given before called Arythromycin, which made me throw up as well. I would discuss this with your doctor again and MAKE them listen. If they won't listen find someone who will.

Until then, eat yogurt and take some multivitamins daily, and maybe even some acidophilus vitamins(has good bacteria for digestion) to restore your good bacteria.

I hope this helps and I hope you get to feeling better soon!

Keep us updated

-Vers

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2006, 11:06 AM   #3
(male)

johnj1984 HB User

Thanks for the info.
I have been eating activa yougert, and taking a multi-vitamin so hopefully that will help. How long can it take to build back the lining in my stomach? I'm just hoping i wake up one day and feel better. Although after 7 weeks i am loosing hope for that to happen.
Thanks again for the info.

Old 11-18-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
(female)

seagoddess HB User

you need something stronger than yogurt. go to your health food store and ask for a probiotic. it contains the flora your digestive system needs but is much stronger than yogurt. it may take a couple of weeks to get you back in good shape. if that does not work, you need to see a gastroenterologist.

Old 11-19-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
(male)

johnj1984 HB User

What should i be looking for in a probiotic? what kinds are the best? I've never really looked into them before so i have no idea what to look for. It sounds interesting, I'd like to try them. thanks for the idea

Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

*Versailles* HB User

I'm not sure about all of the probiotics John, but I do know that the Acidophilus is a vitamin that has the beneficial flora in it. It's usually taken for stomach problems. It might be worth a try.

Best wishes,
-Vers

Old 11-19-2006, 07:48 PM   #7
(male)

johnj1984 HB User

Alright, I will have to look into getting some of that acidophilus for sure. I'm calling my doc again tomarrow, I want to see about getting off this Aciphex it dosn't seem to be working anyways. Also, I have been reading about this stuff called Manuka Honey. It sounds like something I might try. If anyone has any good or bad experiences with this stuff please let me know. Thanks again for the advice Vers!

Closed Thread