It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2006, 06:49 PM   #1
(female)

believeinme HB User
Why does eating make me sick?

every time i eat i get nauseated.
i cannot eat a lot at one time. after a little bit of food i get full, i cant eat anymore, and i feel nauseated. i thought it might be gastroparesis, and that my stomach wasnt emptying fast enough but it had vomitting as one of the symptoms. I never throw up, although i wish i could because i feel so sick. and it doesnt really depend on the type of food either. sometimes it happens even from drinking some water. also sometimes i get nauseated for no reason at all. like if i've been standing up for awhile and also early in the morning. this has gone on for several years. i went to the doctor 2 years ago and he said it was acid reflux and gave me medicine for it but it didnt work so i stopped taking it and i dont want to go back because im sure he will just say the same thing again. has anyone experienced symptoms like these?

Old 12-18-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
(female)

Socagrl HB User
Re: Why does eating make me sick?

yesi get this lately especially when i eat food that has fat! i get really nauseated. i have no idea what it is????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 08:17 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinme
i cannot eat a lot at one time. after a little bit of food i get full, i cant eat anymore, and i feel nauseated. i thought it might be gastroparesis, and that my stomach wasnt emptying fast enough but it had vomitting as one of the symptoms. I never throw up, although i wish i could because i feel so sick. and it doesnt really depend on the type of food either. sometimes it happens even from drinking some water. also sometimes i get nauseated for no reason at all. like if i've been standing up for awhile and also early in the morning. this has gone on for several years. i went to the doctor 2 years ago and he said it was acid reflux and gave me medicine for it but it didnt work so i stopped taking it and i dont want to go back because im sure he will just say the same thing again. has anyone experienced symptoms like these?

You don't have to have all the symptoms listed to have any given disease.

Vomiting is not a necessary component of gastroparesis.

I have gastroparesis, supposedly "mild". My problems with it are nausea, lots of reflux (burping) and heartburn, although some of that latter might be the "reflux disease" (GERD). Luckily I haven't reached the vomit stage yet. People who are severe have bad nausea and lots of vomiting.

If you go to a doctor, suggest gastroparesis. Don't just wait for them to tell you what.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

I have gastroparesis, supposedly "mild". My problems with it are nausea, lots of reflux (burping) and heartburn, although some of that latter might be the "reflux disease" (GERD). Luckily I haven't reached the vomit stage yet. People who are severe have bad nausea and lots of vomiting.

If you go to a doctor, suggest gastroparesis. Don't just wait for them to tell you what.

Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:

Old 12-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

It could be gastritis (inflammation of the stomach lining). That's what I have and have all of those symptoms but no vomitting. I get bloated, full after only a few bites, nausea and a full feeling under my left rib cage. Your best bet would be to have an endoscopy done to look inside your esophagus/stomach.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #7
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User

I've been pretty much experiencing the same thing too ( poor appetite, nausea every day, but no vomiting). Doctors first considered gastroparesis, but the emptying tested proved negative. I was diagnosed with gastritis earlier this year after an endoscopy was performed. Problem is, I'm still having the constant nausea. I've been on Prevacid and Prilosec, and nothing seems to work. Could this still be gastritis?

Old 12-19-2006, 05:38 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

It could possibly still be gastritis. I have had it for over 2 years with some good days and a whole lotta bad days.
Have you been tested for H. Pylori? Alot of times gastritis is caused by that bacteria. I was tested twice both times negative. Still haven't found the cause of mine...likely bad diet. Like you, I have tried every PPI known to man and most work but only for so long then it's back to square one. I have yet to find one that keeps on working!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:09 PM   #9
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User

Yeah, I've been tested for H. Pylori. The test came back negative. I wonder sometimes if it could be a parasite?

Old 12-29-2006, 01:58 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

bevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB Userbevann26 HB User

i've had all these symtoms due to a huge hiatal hernia that i am getting surgery on jan 2. i lost 20 lbs in 2 mos., looked and felt awful. doc put me on relgan which has helped alot, until my surgery date.

hope you all get a dx for this and treatment, i know how you feel!

happy new year....bevann

Old 01-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

kate26444 HB User

Oh my, when I read your letter I thought, "You're talking about me."

I've suffered from these same strange pains since June. When I eat, it feels like the food is stuck in a big ball right in the middle of my stomach and it aches and burns. I haven't thrown up but that's because I'll fight throwing up until death, ha!

I'm seeing my second gastro doctor now. The first diagnosed me with a sensitive stomach, said to take tylenol for pain and that I should go to Mayo Clinic to find out the real problem. Well, I'm seeing this new doctor closer to my home and after a thorough exam (he didn't redo any of my previous test...which were numerous, you name it, I had it) and he put me on Zelnorm and doubled my Nexium. Once in the AM and one in the PM.

He also said, which I thought made so much sense, that since I had been experiencing pain with eating I would wait until I couldn't stand it anymore and finally eat around 2 or 3 pm. Then get hit with pain and eat a tiny bit, if I could stand it around 6 pm. He says my stomach finally gets food and goes into a shock mode and really doesn't know what to do. He has me eating six tiny meals a day so that my stomach gets used to food again and starts to function the way it should. This is how we should all eat I guess.

I'll tell you it's made a difference. I have never been a breakfast person but force down a yogurt or (his suggestion) a Carnation Instant breakfast (very yummy), later a couple crackers with cheese, a tiny lunch...a little soup & maybe half a turkey sandwich, another yogurt or banana, bland dinner (all I can handle) and a little something before bedtime. It has really been working. I've been lucky and had no side effects from the Zelnorm and I'm finally regular (even as a child) and I'm 50 years old.

I hope I've been some help to you. I had the most horrible summer this year and missed out on all kinds of fun because of this stomach pain. I'm an active, otherwise healthy person and it was torture. Good luck to you and may God bless you! Kate

Old 04-11-2008, 09:43 AM   #12
(male)

donnie255 HB User

Today while dropping my son off at school I ran into a friend. She said she has been fighting health issues for quite some time. She said she can not eat fat. Like none! zip! It makes her sick. She went through a lot of doctors and incorrect diagnosis to find this out. Now she eats baked potatoes with fat free butter, fat free bread, shrimp and a few other foods she has found she can eat. I have been searching the web for more information about her condition. Perhaps this applies to some of the people having eating issues on this forum? Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Any resources for information I can suggest to her? Thanks!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #13
(female)

Andrea1234 HB User

where you tested for gastroparesis? because vomiting is a sign of gastroparesis

Closed Thread