It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 01:20 PM   #1
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User
Question Sharp pain in upper right quadrant

Hello!
I have been having upper right abdominal pain on and off now for about 2 years. It all started after I had an appendectomy in December of 2005. The pain has NOT been very severe for about 6 months-until about 3 weeks ago. They have done every test known to man including a HIDA scan- which were all negative! I'm wondering if these tests should be repeated-as there about 1 1/2 years old or could it be something else? This pain feels like a huge gas bubble up there! But is never relived by gas.It also shoots around to my upper back. My doc has said there was NO WAY it was anything to do with my gallbladder. But what else could it be? The symptoms are all classic for GB. Any suggestions? My doc just wants me to GO AWAY!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

Linda1629 HB User
Re: Sharp pain in upper right quadrant

I feel your pain. I'm pretty much in the same boat right now. I first went in and doc said gallstones. Did an ultrasound and found 'small' stones. Too small to be causing my problem, he said. So he sent me for the Hida scan and I'm still waiting for the results of that. I have a feeling it's not going to show me having gallbladder problems and then here I sit with this pain and occassional sharp shooting pains and nauseau with vomiting. I hate doctors when they make me feel like I'm wasting their time and that's how it's going with mine right now. Last he told me it was probably just gas. So I guess it's good that the tests don't show problems but then what do we do? I don't know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2006, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

dfroman1166 HB User

Well in regard to your issues Linda, I would ask them if surgery is an option. If your still having pain the next step would be to remove your gallbladder. I can't stand some of these doctors! They always assume that your not really in pain when you are! At least you have the stones to prove it-I don't even have that. They are unwilling to even consider anything else. I have never been right in my stomach since my appendix was removed. They had acually mis-diagnosed me in the E.R. the first time I was there and had a rotten appendix sitting in my abdomen for 6 months until they finally removed it! Then they had to go back in 6 months later because the surgeon had left a peice in there. I don't know if any of my pain is related to this or not-but seems so much like gallstones. I've gotten to the point where I just wish it was SOMETHING!! There always like " your cat scans perfect!!" Like I should be so happy! I want them to find out why i'm in pain! Good Luck to you! Happy 2007!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Oh how I feel for you, I am also in the same boat!!

I have been having pain under my right rib for a year now, I have had a scan that said no gallstones, I have had all the bowel tests they have come back normal.

I did have a Endoscopy that showed inflammation of the duodenem!!

And I have been told that I am in the menopause I am 41 years old my FSH was 30.

I do have a underactive thyroid!!

Do you get pain under your left rib sometimes, I do and it feels the same as the pain on the right, but I get pain on the right more also I feel weak alot, do you!!!

I have had a pain in my right arm for about 6 months now, like you I need to know why I am in pain, I feel so ill and the pain can make me cry it gets that bad some days...you take care ...Mandie

Old 01-01-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Maz

I know a lady at the same place of work as me, and she had the exact same symptoms. they said inflammation of the duodenum and put her on three lots of strong anti biotics and now she feels great.

She has no more pain, can eat fine, her skin complexion has improved and she is regualr as clock work going to the toilet.

Was you given anti biotics?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

MAD MAZ HB User

Hi sharon, How you been feeling hun, I have been thinking about you!!

Did your friend have the bug called (H-Plyloi) with this they do normally give 3 different lots of antibiotics and bingo the bug should be gone!!

When I had my Endoscopy he did two biopsies, one for the bug, and one for coeleic disease and both come back normal, all the doctors thought it was the bug???
My sister had it and took the antibiotics and is all clear now.

I have been having pains in my chest alot lately and this is making me realy scared, still getting the pains under ribs, my blood count has come back abnormal with high platelets and somthing wrong with my red blood cells, I am at the doctors in the morning(AGAIN)

I have had a earache and the whites in the throat like blisters all over christmas.

Happy New Year Dear sharon...I hope it a good one for you xxx

Did your friend get the rib pain near gallbladder and the same on the left side too.... take care... Mandy

Old 01-02-2007, 02:39 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sharon76 HB User

Hi Maz

Im not sure which infection it was that she had.

She got pain all along her large bowel and in between her ribs, she also said she constantly felp like she had something sticking in her near where the infection was. She said it got to the point where the area was sore to touch.

I am ok, having a few ups and downs lately, my joint pain is quite bad at the moment, but i can't afford to give up work. Because the crohn's lowers the immune system i have a cold, but it has wiped me out for the past couple of days, been feeeling really rough.

I hope you get it sorted very soon

Sharon x

Old 01-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
(male)

pancreas HB User

Sharon,

Have your Doctors ruled out pancreatitis? I had the same pain as you describe and the Doctor first treated the pancreas. When the pancreas was up to par he took out my gallblqadder. I do take Creon and Prilosec and have had no side effect in over 3 years now.

Good Luck1!

Al...

Closed Thread