It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 09:31 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
Burning Stomach

I have gone undiagnosed for 3 years now. I am scared to have another endoscopy done because I am sure the acid in my stomach has torn up my intestines.
My problems started 3 years ago with a sudden out of the blue bout of indigestion and severe heartburn one night when eating dinner. I had never experienced anything like it before.
Now 3 years later and doctors still can't tell me what is wrong.
My stomach constantly burns, especially right around my belly button area.
It is always burning from the time I wake up in the morning and start moving around here it comes back. Nothing relieves it. It feels like at the top of my stomach and in my throat feels gritty like I have sand in my throat sometimes, or I should say most of the time.
Because of this I have swallowing problems.
I get choked on everything food or drink. I've tried Prevacid, Nexium, over the counter meds. The only think that some what works is Gaviscon liquid.
It almost has a numbing feeling as its going down. But nothing can touch the burning, gnawing, raw feeling in my stomach.
It is there constantly 24/7. I am so scared! I need to know what is going on, I don't want to die!
I don't have insurance so I can't afford to go to the doctor.
I'm scared of throwing up because if I can't get food and liquid down if I throw up I'm scared it will get stuck and I'll choke to death.
I have very high anxiety over this and I've started to have really severe nightmares.
I wake up in the mornings and my mouth and throat are bone dry.
The gastroenterologist I was seeing did an endoscopy and colonoscopy when my symptoms first started 3 years ago and says he didn't see a reason to do another one when I begged him. I told him it is worse and I can't swallow and asked him to dialate my esophagus. He wouldn't.
He did an ultrasound of my gallbladder which my gallbladder couldn't be seen then he did a hida scan and said my gallbladder was there but filling up too slowly. So this told me maybe my gallbladder was acting up. Would I have 3 years of these kind of symptoms if it was gallbladder?
He also did a cat scan and I was allergic to the dye so they couldn't see anything on the cat scan because I had to stop drinking the dye drink they give you and flush it out with water.
The only thing then that they found was mild colitis. It the colitis has gotten worse could that be related to my symptoms? I don't really know what the symptoms are for colitis.
The burning in my stomach gets worse if I bend over or hug my knees up to my chest, I like to sit like that and it makes it worse too.
Sometimes hot liquids helps the gritty feeling in my throat but not always.
Can anyone relate to how I'm feeling? Please post I'd love to hear from anyone!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

ndp HB User
Re: Burning Stomach

i had similar symptoms altho much milder, they also tend 2 disappear temporarily with gaviscon and certainly i am much better now that i sometimes take omeoprazole/lansoprazole tablets but most importantly do relaxation- try yoga, breathing, candles, music etc.... to forget your pain and feel happier.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #3
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: Burning Stomach

I really think you need another workup. Blood work, endoscopy at least. You know that your gall bladder is not function perfectly, so removing it might stop the pain, but you can never be sure. If you remove the gall bladder and still have pain, you certainly have eliminated one possibility. Most people do pretty well without their gall bladder. You might experiment with your diet. If you drink alcohol, stop for a few days and see how you feel. If you drink coffee or tea, or chocolate (caffeine) same thing, stop for a few days and see how you are doing. If you normally eat a high fat diet, try going low/no fat for a few days, see what happens. Is there anything you eat or drink that makes it feel better? Does a glass of milk stop the pain or make it worse? Don't be afraid to repeat the endoscopy, knowledge is power.

Closed Thread