It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
(male)

cwax HB User
Mysterious Painful Constipation

>> NOTE: I have now posted this in Bowel Disorders

Hello... I have a question, that hopefully someone with a similar experience can lend some help to.

I have never been constipated before in my life.. until recently when it (severely) came out of nowhere. Symptoms include (other than not passing stool), huge discomfort at all times, pain when passing, very thin, small amounts of stool when passing if at all and left with a feeling like "it's not all done".

Visited the doctor.. Did platelets, thyroid, x-ray, ultrasound, etc. All that was confirmed was an unusually large amount of stool in large intestine. He concluded that it's "nothing serious"... Doctor recommended visiting him again in 3 weeks if things didn't get better... although the problem has persisted already for 3 weeks and I am beginning to worry--nevermind getting really sick of this. I feel that it is serious, since it is not going away and worsening.

The stimulant Senokot seems to work well but I am worried about become dependant on it (going on week 3 now). Without it.. nothing seems to happen. My diet has always been good--I don't eat junk food and I do get enough fibre--although I am also taking additional now (metamucil).

Any advice for me?

Thanks in advance! Really appreciate it.

edit: oops I may have posted this in the wrong section.. can admins move it to Bowel Disorders perhaps? Sorry for the trouble.

Last edited by cwax; 02-11-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

novembre HB User
Re: Mysterious Painful Constipation

This might be a "duh" response, but just in case.. consuming too much fiber can cause constipation if you don't drink enough water to go along with it. Also, if you're not eating many fruits and vegetables that could be contributing. Just a suggestion since the doctor didn't find anything else wrong with you, and all you said about your diet is that you don't eat junk food and eat a lot of fiber. If I'm starting to feel a little backed up, generally eating some fruit with skin on it does the trick (NOT Bananas).

Old 02-11-2007, 08:37 AM   #3
(male)

cwax HB User
Re: Mysterious Painful Constipation

Novembre, what I meant by eating lots of fibre was basically following what my doctor told me to do. And I am drinking lots of water. Perhaps I'm getting too much fibre? Maybe I'll cut back and try the fruits thing!

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Last edited by cwax; 02-11-2007 at 08:40 AM.

Closed Thread