It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
(female)

Ladybiker HB User
Nutcracker Esophagus

Harry, I saw one of your old messages about your wife being diagnosed with nutcracker esophagus about 3 years ago? Your note said she took magnesium and it helped. Did it continue to help? Did she take anything else prescription-wise that helps relax the esophagus. My gastro doctor believes this is what I have, but have not had the pressure test done yet. I am scheduled for HIDA scan this Friday. I wish I could learn something about nutcracker esophagus. Yours was the only note I have ever seen about this horrible pain. I have pains constantly on the left side of the chest, under left breast bone. Is that where your wife's pain was? Any information you can tell me sure would be appreciated.

I had all the cardiology tests and they said heart okay.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:23 AM   #2
(female)

Ladybiker HB User
Re: Nutcracker Esophagus

Did she hurt all the time? Mine doesn't seem to be relieved with anything any more. I'm trying the magnesium. But it's worse about 2 hours after I eat anything, doesn't matter how soft it is. Anyway, have a follow-up with gastro doctor after HIDA scan on Friday. I guess I'll have to have that motility test too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

Ladyblker,

The symptoms that my wife has with Nutcracker Syndrome is that the throat closes and she would get choked when swallowing and food would not go up or down and during this time her entire esophgus would be hurting.
It only happened when eating -- or swallowing anthing -- sometimes even water. There has never been any continuous pain or discomfort! The diagnosis was made by a manometry test of her esophagus.

The Gastro Doctor prescribed Prilosec - 20mgm daily to reduce stomach acid and it worked for 6 years.

My wife has had a hiatal hernia for many years that would hurt sometimes because of cramping or spasms with or without food. This pain occurred just below her rib cage in sternum area -- slightly to the left.

She has not ever had any stomach pain problems like ulcers or gastritis.
And, as you may know 85% of ulcers are caused by H pylori bacteria infection.

During the last 20 years she had been taking a Calcium/magnesium supplement but only once daily before bedtime. We found that taking a supplement only once daily does not get absorbed enough-- only about 10%. So, now she take a Calcium/ magnesium supplement 3 times daily along with vitamin D for increased absorption.
That has helped and for 2 years she took no Prilosec -- but now she takes Prilosec OTC 20 mgm for 14 days then stops for 5 days--- this has been working for several years now.
It seems that she needs her stomach acid reduced slightly to keep from having the nutcracker/swallowing problem.

I wish you well ---Harry

Old 02-14-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Harry, thanks so much for your response. This stuff is really bad -- not positive that is what I have unless I get the esophagus test, but gastro doctor thinks that is what it is. I also think maybe this H Pylori infection in the stomach has not cleared up. Maybe that's my big problem. Haven't been rechecked on that. Again, thanks for the response.

Closed Thread