It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
(male)

campingnut HB User
Fundic Gastric Polyps

Hello everyone,

I just had an endoscopy last Valentine's Day (happy Valentine's Day, huh? and I have been trying to find some information on gastric polyps (the patient report said they found multiple gastric polyps in the body and fundic regions). Not finding too much online about them other than they are found in about 1% of people having an endoscopy. It also mentioned that there is somewhat of an increased likelihood of stomach cancer with people having gastric/stomach polyps.

Haven't been back to the GI doctor yet, but my internal medicine doctor said that the polyps were benign. There was also no ulcerations and they ruled out Celiac disease.

Anyway, wondering if anyone had some more information on gastric polyps. They only took samplings of two polyps - is that generally sufficient?

My doctor didn't seem too worried - he just said that they will likely want to do another endoscopy ever couple years to keep an eye on it. Of course - that sent me into freaking out - which I'm rather inclined to do

Thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Dean

Old 02-22-2007, 07:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User
Re: Fundic Gastric Polyps

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingnut View Post
Hello everyone,

I just had an endoscopy last Valentine's Day (happy Valentine's Day, huh? and I have been trying to find some information on gastric polyps (the patient report said they found multiple gastric polyps in the body and fundic regions). Not finding too much online about them other than they are found in about 1% of people having an endoscopy. It also mentioned that there is somewhat of an increased likelihood of stomach cancer with people having gastric/stomach polyps.

Haven't been back to the GI doctor yet, but my internal medicine doctor said that the polyps were benign. There was also no ulcerations and they ruled out Celiac disease.

Anyway, wondering if anyone had some more information on gastric polyps. They only took samplings of two polyps - is that generally sufficient?

My doctor didn't seem too worried - he just said that they will likely want to do another endoscopy ever couple years to keep an eye on it. Of course - that sent me into freaking out - which I'm rather inclined to do

Thanks SO MUCH in advance!
Dean

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

I have these...they can be caused by PPI meds (reverse when meds stopped) Are you taking these?

Old 02-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #4
(male)

campingnut HB User

Well, I actually did start taking them (protonix) a couple weeks before the endoscopy. Before that - I took an occasional (few times a week) over the counter prilosec for maybe two months. So, didn't start too long before the endoscopy!?!?!?!

Old 02-22-2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

~K~ HB User

Same here, Polyps form where the proton pump switches off and become more common over time, but a small percentage of people show them almost as soon as the pump switches off. Fundic polyps appear to be of little concern. It hasn't been suggested to me that I will need any follow up scopes.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
(male)

campingnut HB User

Great - thanks so much for the information. My doc did say that they get more concerned when they're in the colon - but that they might keep an extra eye on them in case.

Can't thank you enough for the help

Old 05-09-2008, 08:39 AM   #7
(female)

nyeden HB User

Just found multiple gastric polyps here, as well. Waiting for pathology reports but am of the feeling they are the result of long term use of PPI.

Closed Thread