It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
(male)

tattooyu HB User
Question HIDA Scan... with Half & Half?

I just got my authorization (after 2 years of begging) for HEPATOBILIARY IMAGING, a.k.a. HIDA Scan.

However, when I called to make the appointment, I asked about preparation and the CCK injection. He said there was no mention of a CCK injection. Rather, he said to bring a PINT of Half & Half to drink! A pint? Yuck!

Well, I'm lactose intolerant to boot, but I might just have to suck it up on this one. Have any of you heard of this in place of the CCK hormone? Does it work as well? I'm guessing they want to simulate a fatty meal. I'd rather just eat some BBQ beef ribs!

P.S. For those of you outside the U.S., that is a half milk, half cream product for coffee, etc.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:03 PM   #2
(female)

Princess05247 HB User
Re: HIDA Scan... with Half & Half?

I have never heard of such a thing! I am going to get a Hida scan soon. I would have cracked up if they told me to drink half and half. I can't eat any diary so that's out of the question. My stomach would be exploding. Lol on the beef ribs! I hope they aren't serious.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2007, 10:18 PM   #3
(male)

tattooyu HB User

Scary thing is...they are serious!

I'm going to call tomorrow and find out what that is all about.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

A HIDA Scan is a test where a radioactive dye is given and it is followed through the liver to the gallbladder and other places bile goes. It measures the empting rate of your gallbladder to see how well it functions.

No X-ray are used -- the radioactive tracer produces many images using the a special scanner to track the dye as it flows thru the liver , gallbladder and bilinary tract.

I suggest you do a search at the top of this page for -- HIDA Scan -- and copy one of the web sites that explains a HIDA Scan and take it to your doctor.

Whatever the test that is being planned for you certainly is not a HIDA Scan.

I wish you well---Harry

Last edited by Harry; 02-21-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
(male)

sadtummy HB User

In case you go through with the HIDA scan with half and half, try chewing a lactaid or similar tablet that aids in the digestion of lactose when you consume the milk. At least you won't have to be sick from the milk intolerance on top of everything else.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
(male)

tattooyu HB User

Just got off the phone with the technician that would be administering the HIDA scan.

He explained that in order to use CCK, a doctor needs to be present (which they won't have available), since it can cause serious problems if a gallstone gets stuck. From what he said, according to recent studies, using Half & Half is a safer more natural way to make the gallbladder contract and is no less accurate than using the CCK hormone.

He even said that we can schedule to have do the first half of the scan, then go out for a fatty meal, then come back for the second half of the scan.

Of course, I'll want to research that, but it seems to make sense.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

tattoo,

I still don't understand what type of test you are getting?
Does the test have a name? Is it done using
X-rays or ultrasound.
Do you think it is a test being done just to satisfy you?

A HIDA Scan is well documented as to how it is conducted, what type of radioactive isotopes/ tracers are used and how the test results are interpreted by a Doctor.

If you are satisfied then that is really all that matters.

Harry

Old 02-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
(male)

sadtummy HB User

What an odd explanation. I am guessing here, but I suppose if you have a stone and your gall bladder contracts significantly, it might force the stone into the cystic duct or even down into the common bile duct and get stuck there. But CCK or a fatty meal could potentially do that. Doctor or no doctor, you'd still have to be transported to a hospital if emergency surgery was required. What country are you in?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:17 PM   #9
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

I have no idea about HIDA scans, but I know I had one almost a week ago - with CCK. Nothing was said to me about a possibility of a stone getting stuck, etc. But ever since Friday I have been sooo nauseas -- I have to keep drinking and chewing anti-nausea tabs. It was determined my gallbladder is only functioning or whatever they call it at 7.1%. I'm scheduled to have it out on March 5. Nothing was mentioned to me about using half-and-half or anything like that. My only concern is I think the HIDA scan set mine off and made it even worse than it was. So I called the surgeon's office this morning to see if we can move even earlier than March 5, because now I'm concerned about a stone, etc. But I'm told the HIDA scan with CCK is the best way to see it anything -- BUT -- I don't believe it can scan for stones, which scares me. I think ultrasound is best, which I don't think I have had.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
(male)

tattooyu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
tattoo,

I still don't understand what type of test you are getting?
Does the test have a name? Is it done using
X-rays or ultrasound.
Do you think it is a test being done just to satisfy you?

A HIDA Scan is well documented as to how it is conducted, what type of radioactive isotopes/ tracers are used and how the test results are interpreted by a Doctor.

If you are satisfied then that is really all that matters.

Harry

It is definitely a HIDA scan. He explained to me that the tracer will be injected via IV, but instead of using the CCK hormone to trigger the gallbladder, they use a fatty substance (Half & Half, fatty meal, etc.).

Old 02-22-2007, 01:05 PM   #11
(male)

sadtummy HB User

Hi Ladybiker...call your doc and ask for an ultrasound. The test is quick and relatively cheap. You have to come in fasting, I think for a good 4 hours or so. It isn't 100%, but it can pick up stones and a number of other abnormalities. As sick as you feel, I can't imagine why your doc would deny you that much. If there is a stone lodged somewhere critical, like the common bile duct, you may get that early surgery date. How is your color, especially the eyes? Yellowing of the skin or eyes is a red flag.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:38 PM   #12
(male)

jeromey HB User

Probably the staff at the imaging place needs cream for their coffee. there are no imaging machines that can track half and half.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #13
(male)

tattooyu HB User

They are tracking the Tracer, which they will inject. The Half & Half is just to get the gallbladder squeezing (as with a fatty meal).

Old 03-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

bananarama HB User

I had a HIDA scan done on Tuesday, and have been feeling extremely sick ever since. they used the CCK, and I called the hospital two days later and explained I couldn't eat, and I was really nauseaus, but they said that it wasn't from the test. My ejection fraction was 9.5%, so I am talking to a surgeon on Friday to schedule to have it removed. I have been having stomach problems ever since September, and they thought it was the gallbladder at first, but ultrasounds and an endoscopy and CT scan showed nothing. I am really nervous about the surgery, but praying that all goes well.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #15
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

That's what they keep trying to tell me -- that the nausea is not from the HIDA scan. Well, I never had nausea until I had the HIDA scan. It's been at least 4 weeks now. I had gallbladder removed 3 weeks ago - fraction rate was 7%. The nausea is not as severe as it was, but I do still have it -- and I blame it on the HIDA scan. I had the HIDA scan because of chest pains, not because of nausea. At the time they did the HIDA scan, that's when the nausea hit during the scan, and I thought it would go away.

Regardless, I keep wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how it was resolved - or is there something they need to use to flush the CCK out of my system?? Maybe it never cleared out?

Closed Thread