It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
(female)

chickie99 HB User
HIDA Scan - Options?

Tomorrow I am getting a HIDA scan. I'm trying to get an idea of what my comfort options are?

Since I am in constant pain in my gall bladder area - and since the hormone CCK that is injected causes contractions and pain when there is blockage... I am wondering if there is anything they can give to me during the test to reduce any additional suffering I could possibly experience?

Also, I understand its very common to have nausea towards the end of and after the test. Is there anything anyone can suggest to minimize this?

I am mentally not in a good place, after suffering with extensive problems over the course of a month and any additional discomfort may just sent me over the edge. I will admit I am mentally very delicate right now. On top of this, my period is late and my hormones are all messed up from not being able to eat properly for so long. I am a mental and emotional mess.

Thanks.

Chickie

Old 03-01-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
(male)

sadtummy HB User
Re: HIDA Scan - Options?

Don't take any medications without your doctor's approval first. You want the HIDA scan to be totally accurate and some medications may have an effect on gall bladder function. Curious, did you get an ultrasound of your gall bladder first? Anyway, the HIDA scan is a pretty accurate way of measuring the funtion of your gall bladder. Some medical tests can be uncomfortable, but it is better than removing a healthy organ, or not removing a diseased one. I didn't experience any pain during the HIDA but I did feel nauseous. It lasted a few minutes and then went away. If you can get through this test ... you will be glad that you did. If you are able, share your concerns with your doctor. If you can't get through to your doctor, be sure to tell the HIDA scan technicians that you are worried about the pain and nausea, see if they can do anything for you at the testing center. I'm sure they have run into this before. Good luck tomorrow!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2007, 06:10 AM   #3
(female)

Ladybiker HB User

Agree with SADTummy. You are not supposed to take anything before the test. The hardest part is just laying there so still for so long. The first hour there was nothing to it. Just laying there. The last 30 minutes was when they ran the CCK and he did it in 3 parts, a little at a time to get my reactions and how it felt. the last dose I got real nauseated, but it passed. It's only for a couple of seconds. That's how they found out my gallbladder was not working. Only 7%. I never had the ultrasound, and it probably would not have done me any good, because I didn't have gallstones, so in that test nothing would have shown up, and I would still have a bad gallbladder. The HIDA scan was worth it.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:11 AM   #4
(female)

chickie99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadtummy View Post
Don't take any medications without your doctor's approval first. You want the HIDA scan to be totally accurate and some medications may have an effect on gall bladder function. Curious, did you get an ultrasound of your gall bladder first? Anyway, the HIDA scan is a pretty accurate way of measuring the funtion of your gall bladder. Some medical tests can be uncomfortable, but it is better than removing a healthy organ, or not removing a diseased one. I didn't experience any pain during the HIDA but I did feel nauseous. It lasted a few minutes and then went away. If you can get through this test ... you will be glad that you did. If you are able, share your concerns with your doctor. If you can't get through to your doctor, be sure to tell the HIDA scan technicians that you are worried about the pain and nausea, see if they can do anything for you at the testing center. I'm sure they have run into this before. Good luck tomorrow!
Oh have no intentions upon taking anything without running it past my docs first... no worries there.

I have had ultrasounds of all my gastro organs, cat scans (no contrast) and an endoscopy. The reason for the lack of contrast is because I am allergic to iodine. Lucky me!

I've got a call into my doc to call me, so just sitting here waiting.

Thanks for the wishes.. I appreciate the input.

Chickie

Old 03-01-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ol'Line Rebel HB UserOl'Line Rebel HB User

Chickie, I wouldn't worry so much about it. I've read some (granted not much - I'm not a doctor or scholar!) research as well as many peoples' exeriences and the conclusion is it's largely a crapshoot. People with bad GB have pain or they don't; people with good GB have pain or they don't. You never know what you're going to get! (I have good GB - although maybe I have sludge - and no pain with the full test.)

Old 03-01-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
(female)

chickie99 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol'Line Rebel View Post
Chickie, I wouldn't worry so much about it. I've read some (granted not much - I'm not a doctor or scholar!) research as well as many peoples' exeriences and the conclusion is it's largely a crapshoot. People with bad GB have pain or they don't; people with good GB have pain or they don't. You never know what you're going to get! (I have good GB - although maybe I have sludge - and no pain with the full test.)
I have had constant GB pain for a month now. It gets worse when I eat - even a little bit - even bread for instance, oatmeal or sweet potato - anything bland. I was told the new methods for injection of the hormone that contracts the GB are painless and they do it much more slowly than before and their patients are no longer in discomfort. This is reassuring.

However, even with the least bit of aggravation (physical exam) to the GB it seems to create an intense world of misery for me - so tomorrow should prove to be interesting to say the least.

Closed Thread