It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

GregM10 HB User
Some Abdominal Pain (Trapped Gas?)

Hi All,

I'm a 22 year old, male in Ontario, Canada and recently I have been having some abdominal pain/discomfort that is worrying me. I am not in terribly good shape, as I'm about 5'11" and weigh around 230 or so.. (i was 270, but lost about 50 pounds last summer, but gained the "freshman 15" again when i got back to school, but plan to lose another 40 or so this summer)...

The pain is on my right side, sort of under the ribs, although it has been occurred a little lower as well. It is present most of the time, but can be alleviated while walking or moving. It is most prevalent while sitting for long periods. As a student I spend a great deal of time sitting in class and doing homework, and am not a terribly active person during the school year. This pain has been around for 3-4 weeks.

I have seen two doctors about this, the first one at the hospital emergency room, about 3 weeks ago said nothing felt unusual and it was likely a stomach flu, as there had been a very high number of them in the area recently. The pain somewhat subsided (and my anxiety was alleviated a great deal) within the week, but was never quite gone all the way.

A week later, I had wisdom teeth removed (last tuesday, march 13th), and was on Tylenol #3 and am still on Penicillin for them so they don't get infected. With the Tylenol's I found I was terribly constipated. I wasn't able to eat a whole lot for the week, so I was drinking lots of milk and instant breakfast shakes (the just add milk kind), which is abnormal for me, as I don't drink a great deal of milk normally. Also during this week, my fiber intake, and excercise were minimal as I was trying to recover from my wisdom teeth surgery.

On monday evening (the 19th), i went to the walk-in clinic to see a doctor since I hadn't had a bowel movement in 4 days and was terribly concerned, as well as the pain had returned in full force. He did a urine test and found nothing abnormal as well as nothing unusual by touch. He said it was likely the codeine causing constipation in the tylenol and to switch to regular advil for pain and to try some milk of magnesia for relief. I tried the milk of magnesia and had diarrhea the next day, and have since had a more regular bowel movement, but the discomfort persists.

It is now two days later and the discomfort is still present, and I am getting a little anxious again. I don't have a problem seeing doctors (especially living in Canada, where there is universal health care and it isn't costing me anything but my time), but I don't have a family doctor in the town I'm attending school. My school term ends in about a month and I have an appointment to see my family doctor at the beginning of may, and I also have a colonoscopy scheduled (as there is cancer in the family and my mom would like me to get one done every couple of years, which I have no problem with since my health is very important to me), and I am sort of nervous leaving it for a month.

I have never been a person to experience as much discomfort as I have. I am usually only sick once or twice a year, never broken anything, never had surgery before the wisdom teeth, or anything like that. This experience is turning me into a bit of a hypochondriac, as I'm not used to feeling ill, and everytime something isn't right I'm feeling anxiety.

I'm wondering if these symptoms have been experienced by others, and if there are other very serious implications I should consider. Two doctors have told me I'm fine, but I'm still nervous about the whole thing.

I apologize for this being so long, but I hope it is thorough. I don't mind fielding questions if I left some important details.

Thanks for your time,
Greg

Last edited by GregM10; 03-21-2007 at 12:04 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2007, 12:07 PM   #2
(male)

GregM10 HB User
Re: Some Abdominal Pain (Trapped Gas?)

I would also like to add to my already enormous post that lately i have had very little flatulence, and when I have had it, it hasn't been terribly strong smelling, and I normally have a good deal of gas and its usually very strong smelling

This of course I have sort of linked to my unusual diet lately (due to the wisdom teeth), but maybe this is an issue as well...

Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
(male)

jimmymc HB User

I am sorry that you are feeling badly.
I am not a doctor, but I have recently had a bout with abdominal pain. Mine was related to my gall bladder. The symptoms you mention are similar to mine. I had my GB removed and the doctor said that it really needed to come out. It had a lot of adhesions that indicated it had been giving me problems for quite a while.
One thing that I have found in common with several others that could give you an unofficial indication that it is your GB is your stool. Has your stool been light tan in color? I know several things can affect your stool color, but many that I have talked to say that they have noticed that their stools have turned to a light tan color.
Good luck with your doctors. I hope you find the problem and can have it fixed.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
(male)

GregM10 HB User

For one day, it was greenish, but for the most part it has been normal coloured... The doctor said he didn't think it would be gall bladder issues, especially at my age, but I certainly can't rule it out myself...

I have also noticed that I have had minimal gassiness lately. I only pass gas incredibly seldomly (maybe once or twice a day), and it slightly strained. It feels more or less like trapped gas, but I cannot for the life of my find information online about reduced flatulence. There is tonnes about excessive gas, but its difficult to find information about reduced gas.

I am almost done my bout with penicillin, and until it is finished (friday afternoon), i really won't know if thats the cause or not. I wonder if it has killed some of my good GI bacteria and slowed my production of gas or something... I'm probably panicking over nothing

Thank you kindly for the response, I was feeling a little neglected

Closed Thread