It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
(female)

km_820 HB User
Post GB Surgery concerns...

In October of last year I had my Gallbladder removed. I haven't felt at all different compared to before surgery. I had my GB removed due to Stones. I still have GB attacks frequently and upper abdominal pain. Within the past week I had an Ultrasound done to r/o more stones that may have been stuck in the bile duct or anywhere else in the abdomen. The results came back negative. Two weeks ago, for about 5 days, my stool was BLACK. I called the doctor and had to give them a stool specimen to test for blood. The results came back negative for blood and they tested some things for the liver but everything looked fine. When I went to the ER this week because of pain, the doctor I was assigned to told me that even though you get one stool specimen tested, you may have different results a second or third time taken from different times of the day or week.

Should I be concerned about Ulcers? I have pain on the upper LEFT and RIGHT quadrant of my abdomen. I continue to have attacks, like the burning doubling-over-in-pain feeling. At times my GERD gets so bad that bile comes back up into my mouth and leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. I've had GERD for almost 5 years now and it only seems to be getting worse. I'm only 18 years old and am very healthy other than the upper abdominal pain and GERD.

The pain on the LEFT UPPER QUADRANT of my abdomen started about a month POST GB surgery. Within the past year I've had a Colonoscopy, an Endoscopy, A HIDA Scan, 2 Ultrasounds, 3 CT Scans, many many blood tests and several urine tests and everything is coming back negative. I feel like my doctors keep taking the easy route out in just saying that my "IBS is acting up" or "Here's another prescription to get some blood work done" when they're probably testing for all of the wrong things.

I was never told by my doctors the complications of GERD until I came to them with concerns about my black stool. Is any of this related to the removal of the Gallbladder? And if so, why is the pain radiating to the left side of my abdomen?

Is this something I'm just going to have to learn to live with, or is there something there that really is abnormal? I've even changed my eating habits. I make sure I get plenty of Fiber in my diet, no fatty/greasy foods, no caffiene, I quit smoking before GB surgery.

Does anyone else experience any of this? And if so, how do you cope with it and what do you do to feel better physically?

Last edited by km_820; 03-23-2007 at 10:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

ittal HB User
Re: Post GB Surgery concerns...

Did you completely alter your diet after the surgery? You may not have success, actually the pain can get worse, if you don't follow a bland diet for several weeks and a natural diet for several months. This is, at least, what I was told by my surgeon. For a good 6 months after I had my gallbladder removed, when I ate anything with a hint of grease I would have a terrible stomach ache, black stool, diarrhea, etc. And it's not just the usual suspects (McDs etc). Potatoes were bad! Milk...OMG it was aweful (unless it was skim).

Don't know if that helps at all, but it was my experience. My gallbladder issue was quite progressed, due to a consistent misdiagnosis (it's IBS, it's postpartum stomach upset, it's GERD, it's the stomach flu, it's this, it's that). It got to the point that was liver was actually shutting down before someone even thought to check my gallbladder.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

km_820 HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. I know what it's like to have doctors not really know what to do, so they just tell you you're "stressed" or "It'll pass...".

I have completely changed my diet. I drink Soy Milk, I try to eat as much fiber as possible, I don't eat ANY greasy/fatty foods, I make my own dinners/lunches/breakfasts, I don't drink any Soda anymore. For a little bit I WAS telling myself it was okay to slip up a little bit and eat some french fries or a piece of fried chicken. But I wouldn't do that often.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
(female)

lizzy876 HB User

Hi! I had my gallbladder removed Jan 31, and I was back in the hospital again March 11 because I was jaundiced, and dehydrated, they also said my liver enzymes were up as well as the bilubrium levels. I had the black stools. The pain I had was severe, one of the worse gallbladder attacks Ive felt ever except it was removed.

I went through the camera scope to see if i had trapped stones but none were found. , they did the feces test

The doctors are dumbfounded. They did find gastritis on my stomach lining, and heavy bile flowing however they told me to stick to a low fat diet. I have felt pretty normal since being home. They seem to think it was a passing of a stone. Which I did notice the pain got really severe again after I drank apple juice. I just read that can help pass stones im not sure if its true or not though.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
(female)

Nal HB User

How are you feeling now? No one ever told me to stick with a bland, low fat diet for a while after surgery. I wonder if thats why I am having so much pain again! I had mine out last August. I did fine for a while but now the attacks are back again.

Nancy

Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

I know this thread was started in March, but I did want to chime in hoping that one of you will read this.

All of you who have had your gallbladder removed and are having problems still- did any of your doctors put you on any kind of a suppliment to take afterwards? My cousin and Aunt had theirs removed, and the surgeon put them on some sort of suppliment that is a powder. I'm sorry, but I forget the name of it. They mix it with water and it's something they take daily. This helps tremendously to avoid problems such as you are having.

If you aren't taking anything like this, you might want to speak with your surgeon. I do hope all of you are able to feel better soon and stop having these problems. I know how frustrating it is to have a surgery to fix something, and come away with just as many problems, and sometimes even worse problems afterward.

Take care!

Last edited by ozzybug; 04-06-2007 at 12:36 PM.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #7
(female)

Nal HB User

I just started bile salt supplements. Any chance you can find out exactly what your aunt and cousin are taking? My dr is being no help.

Nancy

Old 04-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Hey there. It is some kind of digestive enzymes.....I looked it up. "Creon 10" I think is one of the things they prescribe. Since your gallbladder stores bile, and is in someway part of the digestive system, the digestive process has been altered somewhat, so sometimes your body needs a little help.

I really do hope you are able to get some relief. Please take care!

Old 04-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #9
(female)

Nal HB User

Ill look it up. I wonder if its available without a prescription as well? I was naieve i guess in thinking I could just eat whatever I wanted after having it taken out and not suffer any consequences. Very frustrating!

Nancy

Old 04-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #10
(female)

pyewacket HB User

hi, can you tell me what bile salts you are taking,,the brand name please,,thanks!

Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #11
(female)

Nal HB User

They are Ox Bile supplements by: NutriCology.

Nancy

Last edited by moderator2; 04-06-2007 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Product names are allowed. Websites are not.

Closed Thread