It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #1
(male)

bigteddyp84 HB User
Diseased GB that doesn't show up on ultrasound.

Can one have a diseased gallbladder without it showing up on an ultrasound? and is there any other tests to diagnosis a gallbladders functioning? Becasue I have pains in my right up quadrent of my abdomine.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Diseased GB that doesn't show up on ultrasound.

Only gallstones and maybe some sludge will show up on an ultrasound...not a diseased gb. A HIDA Scan will show if your ejection rate is below normal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #3
(female)

dakodadawn HB User

Bigteddy,

I have also had terrible pain in my stomach for awhile, but have noticed that i has gotten worse the past 3 weeks. I kept putting it off and finally on around the 25th of April, I found myself literally bent in two trying to find a way to get the constant pain to stop. Went to the ER, and by the time I arrived, the pain had subsided.

They did a catscan, and it was normal. The next morning, I woke up nauseated and began vomiting. Went to my family doctor, and she was 95% sure it was gallbladder related. She sent me for a Pipida (HIDA) scan, which was scheduled for Monday, April 30th. During the scan, they injected radioactive dye by IV. Then I went under the machine in the x-ray dept for almost 2 hours. Liver, small intestines, everything showed up except the gallbladder. They then gave me 4 injections of Morphine to relax the muscles and to see if the gallbladder would begin to work. Another hour later, and it still didnt show up on the scan. We are not sure if it is blocked by a stone, or just not working at all. The x-ray tech told me to call my family doctor and tell her the results and schedule the surgery as soon as possible. I am scheduled for Monday, May 7th.

I am not sure about an ultrasound not showing anything, but if you have any doubt that your gallbladder is not working properly, please get it checked out. My father had his out last fall, and it was preferated. He was majorly ill.

Hope this helps a little. Best wishes!!

Old 05-03-2007, 06:53 PM   #4
(male)

gooby HB User

when I had GB problems, the ultrasound did not show anything bad. I had an ERCP done and they found 6 stones in the common duct, blocking the flow of bile and causing the GB to become enlarged.

Pain was a really strange situation. Did not fall into the typical GB pains.

Never had this HIDA scan so I can;t say anything about that.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 AM   #5
(female)

jujubee7 HB User

In my experience, I don't think I had the typical gall bladder signs either.. thought the HIDA scan was going to be a waste of time. I had the ultrasound and it showed everything was normal... I had the HIDA scan and it came back showing that my function was t 24 and it is supposed to be at 35, so I am having my gallbladder removed. I just hope this will relieve me of my constant symptoms...

which are: chest pain/discomfort, shortness of breath at times, upper ab bloating, and ab discomfort.... and just a general feeling of being fatigued..

Closed Thread