It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2007, 06:22 AM   #1
(female)

Sisty HB User
Fatty Liver & Pain & Symptoms

I Have been diagnoised with a fatty liver. I have not had any beer or wine in 5 weeks and still I am in pain on the right upper side of my stomach radiating to my back on both right and left sides. It seems worse wehn I sit down and is eased by standing or walking. I have been told IBS! I am also worried about my pancreas. However, has anyone with fatty liver experienced pain? And if so did it go away? How long did it take? I would appreciate any answers. My primary care says pain can be severe from fatty liver my GI does not think so.
Thanks for any help or insight.

The following user gives a hug of support to Sisty:
lalitkeswani (05-11-2011)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
(female)

dougrobin01 HB User
Re: Fatty Liver & Pain & Symptoms

You may want to have your gallbladder checked. Sounds like same symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

Sisty HB User

I had both an ultrasound and HIDA sacn of my gallbladder and both were normal. Also a CT with contrast was normal. Does anyone have similar symptoms?

Old 06-18-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
(female)

jmarple HB Userjmarple HB User

I have had fatty liver for several years. There is definitely a lot of pain from fatty liver and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. There is also elevated liver function numbers that eventually show up, and many people have high tryglycerides and blood sugars. I think IBS is also part of it because your liver is not working right. So you eat a little fat, bile is needed to digest the fat, the liver is slow to respond with bile and the fat goes right through you. I swear it can happen in only 30 minutes from when you eat something with fat in it. Here are some solutions to these problems that worked for me.
1-Squeeze the juice from one lemon and drink it down. This really does work. Your liver may be full of sludgy bile. Lemon juice is a known bile thinner. It can loosen things up and allow your liver and gall bladder to clean itself out. Be sure to brush your teeth afterwards because the lemon juice will destroy your enamel.
2-Take cranberry pills. I don't know why this works but it does. Came across it by accident. Buy cranberry pills whose main ingredient is powdered cranberry juice. The fewer other ingredients- the better. Take one or two if the pain is mild. If it is unbearable, you can take 3 or 4. It won't hurt you and it will make an dramatic difference. Maybe the acid in the cranberry helps to dissolve stuff much like the lemon juice does. My brother had high liver function numbers and a fatty liver. He decided to take cranberry pills and his liver function numbers went way down and the pain disappeared. Cranberry pills seemed to improve my IBS symptoms and make me more regular.
3-Fast 1 or 2 meals once a week. Fasting is a known liver cleanse.
4-Take 1 Tbs. of Udo Oil (Bought this at the local health food store) or Olive Oil every day. More if you can stand it. Your liver needs oil to work propertly. These types of oils seem to lubricate things and get things moving.
5-Do a Liver Cleanse- If you want something more drastic, do a liver cleanse. You can buy one at the health food store or look on the internet for one that sounds good. I found one on the internet. I drank down some awful mixture of epsom salt, grapefruit juice, olive oil, etc. I was sick for two days, but the right abdominal pain was better afterwards. I have never done it again. It was miserable. I would rather do little things every day to keep my liver cleaned out and not be so sick.
6-Take low doses of ibuprofen after you have done a liver cleanse. If you liver is inflammed, this can help. Ibuprofen is an antiinflammatory. Don't take too much and don't take it too long.
7- Drink apple juice. When your gall bladder and liver start to clean out, it will dump bile in our stomach and you may have an upset stomach. Antacids will help with the stomach acid part but bile is something else. Apple juice seems to neutralize the bile. It will settle your stomach if bile is the problem.
8-Early intervention with Glucophage/Metaformin. I recently went on Glucophage because my blood sugars were just a bit too high. Nice side benefit- my liver function numbers got better, my tryglycerides went down, and my liver rarely hurts. I wish I had started this years ago. It took my doctor a few years to talk me into it. I feel like it is helping the fatty liver problem.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to jmarple:
Tam59 (03-13-2011)
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jmarple For This Useful Post:
ansheikh (04-11-2012), MaxTheBeagle (03-22-2011), sarahmck139 (05-10-2011), sdhutchins (03-19-2012), sisteroftwo (06-05-2012), Tam59 (03-13-2011)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #5
(female)

Sisty HB User

Thanks for your help

Old 06-18-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
(female)

Sisty HB User

Jmarple, Thank you again, I had a few questions. How long did your liver pain last and where in your stomach did you get it. My enzymes are normal and my Triglycerides are okay but I always had low LDL & high HDL (90's) now I have high LDL and low HDL. I am going to try a flush and see. I have had this now for 6 months.
Thanks
Sisty

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-24-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 11:43 AM   #7
(female)

tanyasparks HB User

Hey,

Just a note. The other poster suggested glucophage/metformin for the liver pain and suger. Be careful if you already have a bad stomach because glucophage can cause the digestive symptoms and IBS to get worse. I have stomach problems and was put on glucophage for a hormonal imbalance. I have never been sicker in my life. My IBS, reflux, and indigestion got horribly worse. I even developed serious stomach and intestinal bleeding which my Gastro seems to think was caused by the glucophage. All I know is that when I stopped taking it, the digestive symptoms went away. I tried eating with it, taking it on an empty stomach, waiting 30 minutes and then taking it, nothing worked. Just be careful.

Happy Healing
tanya

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 AM   #8
(female)

jmarple HB Userjmarple HB User

Sisty,
Tanya is right about Glucophage. It gives some people digestive problems, but it has not bothered me. I was suggesting it more as a fatty liver solution. Glucophage is beginning to be suggested as a possible treatment for fatty liver. It seems to be helping mine.
Where is liver pain? I get it everywhere. You can look at an anatomy chart and see where the liver is. Draw a corresponding triangle on your belly and that basically outlines where the pain is. Most common places: 1-far right side almost up and under my rib cage. Almost seems like my ribs are hurting. 2-About where my gall bladder used to be- in the center and a bit to the right under my rib cage. 3-Under the rib cage on the far left. 4-On the right side but directly below the breast and the ribs. It starts under the rib cage and shoots straight down. There is a bile duct there that hurts sometimes.
How long does it last? I talked to my brother this weekend about his fatty liver pain. He said as long as he takes cranberry pills, he doesn't have a problem. If I eat a real fatty meal, I can feel the pain again. By brother said that if he stops taking the cranberry pills, the pain is back sometimes within an hour, but usually more like a day or two. So basically, fatty liver pain doesn't go away. You just have to manage it.
Also I wanted to mention that I wouldn't have suggested a liver cleanse except that you said your scans were negative for gall stones. I never felt comfortable moving something that is large enough to get stuck in my liver.
Hope that helps.
jmarple

Good Luck.

Last edited by jmarple; 06-19-2007 at 12:03 AM.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
(female)

Sisty HB User

Jmarple, thank you. My GI doctor does not think the pain is from my liver ( GI Dr #2) I have had every other test and scan and everything is negative. He have me darvocet for the pain. My concern is that this will cause more problems with my liver. He does not seem concerned. I am going to try the cranberry pills and see what happens.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
(female)

IamCarole HB User

Sorry to hear of your discomfort. I also have a "fatty liver"...I guess because I am a fatty girl : O....But I had a recent sonogram because of pain similar to what you are describing. This indicated a distended gall bladder. I will soon find out if this means it has to come out or can be treated. Is this a possibility with you? Have you had a sonogram? Bowels are also screwed up...sounds similar to me. Let me know, and take care.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-24-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 07-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
(female)

LyndaRay909 HB User

I have a fatty liver on top of gallbladder removal so I am so going to try that stuff and see if it helps. Thank you so much!

Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

About a year ago I was on vacation and had horrible pains in my liver - went to the doctors and they said possible gallstones. So when I went home and saw my regular doctor they put me through a series of test. No gallstones, just that she concluded that my cholesterol was too high and my liver was having spasms. She suggested that I loose weight. So I guess this is fatty liver because I have the same symptoms. Since then I have dropped 25 pounds and still have 100 pounds to go. For the past 5 days the pain has returned and I told myself this is it - exercising, eating less. I can't eat much because food goes right through me and having stomach aches. Pain in the liver. So I just eat salads. I don't whether i should see a doctor or not again.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

So slightly elevated liver enzymes can indicate fatty liver? I have no gallbladder and I am trying to figure out if this is my fatty liver causing the pain under my right rib or Spinctor of oddi dysfunction. I am losing weight but I get the pain every once in awhile and I have to sit down after walking for a long time. I hope it is the fatty liver because you get rid of gradually.

Last edited by hb-mod; 04-24-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Removed Quote. Please use "QUICK reply" rather than "QUOTE reply". Thanks!

Old 03-30-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
(female)

crittel HB User

Wow! I have been dealing with so many of the same issues and the pain can get so bad that I cannot breath. Thank you so much for your advice and easing my mind. This is so scary and my doctor just tells me to go to the ER every time I have severe pain. The steps in your quote are already working their magic, so thank you again!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

I was just at the doctors yesterday and she said liver gives you know pain. So I think I have sphinctor of the oddi dysfunction but I also have fatty liver. I am so confused because the internet says it doesn't cause pain but then why was mine having spasms???

Closed Thread