It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
(male)

miknan HB User
Bile reflux question

How many suffer from this and what can be done about it? I don't know if this is a permanent condition or just my body adjusting to my gallbladder removal a week ago. I am absolutely miserable. Compazine is no longer working....

Old 06-11-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

ddmcflick HB User
Re: Bile reflux question

This Wednesday will be 6 weeks post-op after my lap choley. I was great for four days and then I awoke with severe burning and nausea in my stomach. My surgeon tried Aciphex which did nothing, then my GI did an endoscopy two weeks after the surgery. He found bile in my stomach. He took me off of the PPI's, and instead initially tried Carafate with limited success. The nausea seems to have let up, but the burning continues. It is usually worse in the morning after not eating all night long, and starts anywhere from 10 minutes to an hour after I eat anything. I am miserable too.

My GI has put me on Questran which is used for bile salt diarrhea. The theory is that it is a bile acid sequestrant that binds to bile in the intestine. I have no problems with D, just the bile reflux. Again, the Questran is only helping partially and my GI has just upped the dosage from once a day before bedtime, to before meals and at bedtime. From what I have read, although there is physiological reasoning that it should work, it usually doesn't for those of us with bile reflux in the stomach and not diarrhea. It is extremely constipating and can cause impaction in some people.

I have an appt. to see my GI this Friday. All I can find out from the internet is that many people get bile reflux after gall bladder removal and no one seems to know what to do about it. Yes, I had stones and I had indigestion once in a while, but nothing like this. I have heard that it takes 3-6 months for the digestive system to get back to normal and for the body to get used to not having a gall bladder. In others this can be a life-long problem. I will keep my fingers crossed for both of us that this goes away eventually.

I also read that Ursodiol is used for bile reflux, but when I mentioned it to my GI, he said no. I will try to get him to explain this to me further. Some people recommend digestive enzymes and when I brought this up, he said, why? I may end up with a new doctor at some point but if you or anyone else have any answers or thoughts, please post.

Good luck to us!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #3
(male)

jeff76 HB User

I too was diagnosed with bile reflux a few months ago. I have never had any surgery, but have had IBS-C for over 20 years. Nothing too severe until the severe gastritis started in December. My GI also says there is not alot that can be done for it. I am taking Carafate which has helped somewhat. I have also been on PPI's for several years and I actually think they make it worse.

I've been researching the internet for months looking for some relief but not much info found. I have tried prbiotics and digestive enzymes without success. My Gi did say sometimes it can be caused by a slow stomach emptying problem and he prescibed Reglan, but after reading the possible side effects, I chose not to take it.

So I too am looking for any survivors out there that could offer some help.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:50 PM   #4
(male)

miknan HB User

(QUOTE Removed)

I take Reglan and never had any side effects. Before my gallbladder surgery it worked pretty good. Don't know about now though....

Last edited by moderator4; 06-29-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Quote is unnecssary.

Old 06-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #5
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

I had my GB removed Saturday June 9th. About 4 days after the surgery I started to get heartburn and Ive never had heartburn my whole life. My stomach was the "steel vault" lol I could eat anything and get away with it.

When Im hungry I have a new sensation, its a burning hot pain in the area where my gall bladder used to be and the middle of my mid-abdomen (pancreas? stomach?). Im hoping this is temporary as I hate having heartburn and gut pains. I just took a painkiller but was proud that I hadnt taken any since Wednesday. But the pain was building and I figured thats what the pills are there for!

Old 06-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
(male)

Adidas0298 HB User

I had my GB removed Saturday June 9th. About 4 days after the surgery I started to get heartburn and Ive never had heartburn my whole life. My stomach was the "steel vault" lol I could eat anything and get away with it.

When Im hungry now I have a new sensation, its a burning hot pain in the area where my gall bladder used to be and in the middle of my mid-abdomen (pancreas? stomach?). Im hoping this is temporary as I hate having heartburn and gut pains. Seriously I could get the stomach flu and not have cramps or a stomach ache before, I dont like having pain down there.

I just took a painkiller but was so proud that I hadnt taken any since Wednesday. Tonite the pain was building and I figured thats what the pills are there for!

The Following User Says Thank You to Adidas0298 For This Useful Post:
quiltinfool (10-27-2011)
Old 06-18-2007, 06:23 AM   #7
(male)

miknan HB User

Adidas,

Hopefully this is just temporary as your body adjusts. Are you taking any other meds for the reflux? Believe me, I know how much this sucks. You are still fairly early in the healing process. It took exactly 3 weeks for me to start feeling better. I am still having some issues but I feel so much better than I did just a week ago that I hope I am over the hump. I am still taking alot of meds for reflux and nausea that I am going to try and ween myself off them starting today. Good luck on your recovery.

Last edited by moderator4; 06-29-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Quote removed -- unnecssary.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 PM   #8
(female)

cheer up HB User

To all of you with post gall bladder removal issues, questions and complaints -- I had mine removed 3 years ago at this time. There have been lots of ups and downs along the way, and especially during the first year I did not know what to expect. What I do know is that I am glad I had the surgery.

Don't be shocked by any digestive issues or pains you may have for at least a year. Even my gastroenterologist, who also had the surgery long ago, said the same thing. After about a year, most of us should feel pretty good most of the time.

There will be the occasional upsets and odd pains here and there -- in the first months, many are healing pains. You may also, for he long term, get a disgusting reflux into your throat, especially in the morning before you eat anything -- to me it tastes like I would imagine the bottom of a burned coffee pot would taste. Yecchh.

Make sure you always stay hydrated and water is good -- your eating habits may have to change permanently, especially re greasy or fried foods and quantity of food intake. Often, smaller, more frequent meals are best.

Just because your gall bladder is gone does not mean new stones can't form in the liver or bile duct. I'm not kidding --- and stones or more likely sludge moving through the tract can give you great discomfort. I've had it all --

But despite the occasional weird episode here and there after the first year, you will feel pretty good in most cases. There's a small percent of people who never feel right again, but they were also miserable before the surgery so what can you do?

Again, do not be surprised or alarmed at ANY symptoms you exhibit after gall bladder surgery, especially for the first year. It really does take that long for the system to "settle down" enough to feel halfway normal in many people.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:37 AM   #9
(male)

miknan HB User

Cheer up,

Thanks for posting an uplifting message. I am still having lots of problems a little over 5 wks post op. I can eat only bland low fat foods and only drink water. Even then, I have major issues with reflux and stomach upset. I can't seem to ween myself off all these meds. At times I get major depressed that this may never end. Even if it takes a year (hope it isn't that long), I can handle it if I know I am going to feel better. As it is, I think I am better than a couple weeks ago but it is baby steps...

Old 06-29-2008, 01:04 PM   #10
(female)

jinkyns HB User

Hi Everyone,
I have had acid reflux for years (losec),pariet)and bile reflux
for 10 months. I also have Barrett's esophagus.
I thought i would die with this heartburn and could not even eat
bread.
I had the scope 10 mys ago and they finally listen to me and gave me another one.
Lots of bile in my stomach. Put me on Domperidone before meals and at night.
Also Questran 3 times a day.
The first month it started working some,thank you God.
It is now 2 months and i have no heartburn at all.
I can't eat chocolate, fatty meats. I can have my 4 cups of tea again.
It is a lot of planning as i take pariet and domperidone one half hour before
breakfast.
Then i eat and then take my pills....take questran one hour later.

Lunch, i take domperidone 15 minutes before i eat, then Ouestran 45 minutes (no pills) later.
Supper...domperidone 15 minutes before i eat, then vitamins....then one hour later Questran.

Bed time 10pm i take about 6 other pills(domperidine etc) and no Questran.
I do have a evening snack also.
It is really working for me.
I got the drugstore to call and asked if
quesrtran can be mixed for a few hours before you take it and they said they prefer it to not be mixed. This would have helped me when i go out but i still remember that horrible heartburn and do anything to prevent it,

I am a breast cancer surrivor but this was worse than that. Also bought a timer for home and a little one for my purse.
Hoping you all get relief. Carol

Old 06-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

diamond79 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheer up View Post
There will be the occasional upsets and odd pains here and there -- in the first months, many are healing pains. You may also, for he long term, get a disgusting reflux into your throat, especially in the morning before you eat anything -- to me it tastes like I would imagine the bottom of a burned coffee pot would taste. Yecchh.
I remember having that taste in my mouth when I would wake up. I tried to explain this to my dr. and he looked at me like I was nuts! I don't think I likened it to a burnt coffee pot, but that is an excellent way to describe it. Disgusting taste! Something I will never forget. I still do get it on occasion when I have had a bad night of reflux.

Closed Thread