It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
(male)

john00-us HB User
TRIPLE THERAPY-H PYLORi

I think this is the right section instead of the acide reflux section

has anyone done the triple theraphy for h pylori?.

Amoxcillin one, twice a day (500mg each).
Lansoprazole one(prevacid), twice a day (30mg each).
Clarithromycin, two, twice a day (500mg each).

i am relunctant to start it. I don't why , i don't feel like doing it. i am concerned for no valid reason but i am just concern.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Re: TRIPLE THERAPY-H PYLORi

john,

This is as good a place as any to discuss H pylori bacteria that causes 85% of ulcers.

After being diagnosed, then the triple therapy is the treatment.
Some people do have problems because the antibiotics are strong and they can cause gastritis. But many people have no problem with the treatment and do just fine!!

What sort of symptoms do you now have? Do you have ulcers with pain?

Harry

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
(male)

john00-us HB User

i do not have ulcers, they just said
Chronic active gastritis and Positibe H pylori

Last edited by john00-us; 06-04-2007 at 08:14 AM.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User

John.
Before taking the Triple Therapy for H Pylori bacteria infection -- the Dx for it should be positive.

The antibiotics can make gastritis worse -- it does that for me.
Gastritis is usually treated with a PPI like Prevacid, Prilosec or Nexium for several months -- not antibiotics.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #5
(male)

john00-us HB User

what is DX?

i had blood done and endoscopy and they prescribed the triple therapy. I am really hoping the doctors are not stupid enough to give me something they shoudn't

Old 06-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

DX is the abbreviation for diagnoses.

During the endoscopic exam -- the Doctor should have taken a tissure sample (biopsy) to diagnose H Pylori bacteria -- it is the gold standard way to diagnose it.

Gastritis is usually seen as an inflammation area and the doc takes a photo of it.

Blood work is also a way to DX H Pylori and also a breath test is used.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
(male)

john00-us HB User

Oh ok. I did, i saw the pictures, he did a biopsy of the stomach. Prior to that i had blood done that was + for H pylori and then the biopsy result stated that again. so i guess that's why i was put on this. Well as long as i don't lose weight i'll be fine. I am already too skinny for 5'9, just 140lbs male almost 28

Old 06-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Breath test and endoscopic biopsy are the two ways to test for active infection. Blood test looks for antibodies which will be present for many years after the infection.
From the level of antibodies though some evidence can be gleaned about whether it is an active infection but it's not definitive.

I'm surprised metronidazole (Flagyl) wasn't part of the regimen but there are a handful of different combos that doctors choose from...some HIDEOUSLY expensive. Yours sounds reasonable. Maybe Flagyl isn't so populare anymore.

Probably the most obnoxious side effects will be rather extreme diarrhea.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM   #9
(male)

john00-us HB User

Quote:
Probably the most obnoxious side effects will be rather extreme diarrhea.
OUCH!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

That is what strong antibiotics DO !!

Old 06-06-2007, 09:01 AM   #11
(male)

john00-us HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
That is what strong antibiotics DO !!

it seems like many people end up with a worse gastritis after the course of the anti-biotic

Old 06-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

That is right! And the gastritis is not always easy to get rid of!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #13
(male)

john00-us HB User

isn't the gastritis caused by the h pylori. i can'r wait to be done with these antibiotic. well at least i don't have diarrhea yet (3rd day)

Old 06-06-2007, 02:13 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

H Pylori causes ulcers not inflammation -- gastritis.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:47 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

They really are a continuum of contiditons and H.pylorii can cause both gastritis and duodenitis and these longstanding irritations eventually resolve into the sores that are commonly called ulcers.

I think that after a course of triple (or quadruple) H.pylorii antibiotic treatment, that if gastritis remains, it is a probable sign that the bugs weren't completely eradicated. That occurs in a sizeable number and then a course of DIFFERENT antibiotics must be used.

When done with an antibiotic therapy you really MUST be tested by breath test or biopsy to make sure the infection was eradicated. (Your blood will ALWAYS remain positive for antibodies.)

To replace the flora in the digestive tract that is slaughtered by the antibiotics, some daily kefir or other probiotic may get the plumbing working right again. Some people recommend taking it DURING the treatment but I am always afraid that adding bacteria might "use up" a lot of the antibiotic and interfere with its job or eradicating the infecting agent.

Closed Thread