It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 12:49 PM   #1
(female)

Sisty HB User
Stomach & Back Pain? Pancreas? Anyone Else

I have had upper stomach pain for the past 6 months. I am very tired of it all and frustrated. ( I also had the runs which ended 8 weeks ago and was told it was IBS) Burning in the center that I am taking Nexium for which has helped. But pain still to the right side that moves to the side below my ribs. Also sometimes on my left side and radiates to my back on both sides. I have just come from my second GI Dr's visit. I have been tested as follows: Endoscopy, colonoscopy, upper GI series, stomach CT with contrast, bloods 3 times all normal, ultrasound of liver and pancreas, (showing fatty liver), 2 ER visists, HIDA scan. Now the Dr said he would do another CT and an MRI he does not tink it is gastro related!!!!

Does anyone have the same symptoms and been diagnosed with Pancreas problems. My Amalase and Lypase levels are normal. I do not have any naussea etc just pain. I had two uncles die of pancreatic cancer and I also read that sometimes pancreas probelms do not show up on a CT. Can anyone shed soem light on this?
Thanks
Sisty

Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
(male)

marky1956 HB User
Re: Stomach & Back Pain? Pancreas? Anyone Else

Just out of curiosity, how old were your uncles when they passed? I've read where the vast majority are 65+ when diagnosed. I've had concerns about my pancreas as well, with back pains, ans was just wondering about your uncles' ages.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2007, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

Sisty HB User

They were both in their 60's. And were dead within a few months of finding out. Why do you have concerns? Where are your back pains? and do you have any other symptoms?
Sisty

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky1956 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how old were your uncles when they passed? I've read where the vast majority are 65+ when diagnosed. I've had concerns about my pancreas as well, with back pains, ans was just wondering about your uncles' ages.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
(male)

marky1956 HB User

I've been having mid-back pains for the past 3-4 weeks, with loose stools that look sort of yellowish. So when you to an internet search for these symptoms, you get pancreatic cancer as one of the causes. However, I've had no pains in the front of my abdomen or belly, just in my lower and mid back region.

Again, it may be a real stretch, and my general practitioner thinks I'm nuts = says I don't fit the symptoms. She says I have no pains or nausia after I eat, so it can't be pancreas related. My liver function blood tests all come back normal. My white blood count is good and my red blood count is slightly low.

Do these symptoms sound like panceas or no? Thanks.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

Molly93 HB User

Pancreatic pain is very intense pain... back arching bending over run to the hospital pain..

Old 06-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #6
(female)

marnb77 HB User

It doesn't sound like pancreas but just to put your mind at ease, why don't you have your amylase and lipase enzymes tested? It's a simple blood test that you can ask your dr to give you.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #7
(female)

Intron123 HB User

Hi,
Did you have 2 uncles with pancreatic cancer? If so, your family might be eiligible for a study that is looking for genes for familial pancreatic cancer. If you want more info, let me know!
take care

Old 06-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Sisty, I was just cruising the boards and I saw your post. My best friend has stage IV pancreatic cancer. She was complaining that her back hurt and the pain went around to the side. THe dr told her that her sugar was high and she was diabetic. I remember when we went to lunch she hardly ate, she said she felt nauseaus but wrote it off to the medicine. She was fatigued but was working long hours. I did think it strange she was so listless.
Her cancer did show up on the cat scan. The PET scan showed it had spread to her liver. 6 months later the cat scan wasnt as through as a MRI as that showed the cancer had spread to her stomach and spleen.
If your uncles had pancreatic cancer then I would certainly be screened often and take part in some studies that follow families.
I know IBS and acid reflux can play havoc with the body too. I get all kinds of symptoms that freak me out and after clean bills of health it points back to IBS. Just a thought do you take any osteroporosis medicine? That sure did a number on me

Old 06-20-2007, 05:28 AM   #9
(female)

Sisty HB User

Thanks Mel52, I do not take any meds for osteroporosis. THnaks for the information. My second CAT scan came back normal they alos did an MRI of my back and I have two bulging discs and a tear in one. I have not seen the doctor yet so I do not know if this is causing my back pain. Maybe there are two issues going on! Thanks for your input it is nice to know we are not alone in the world of medical issues without answers!
Sisty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
Sisty, I was just cruising the boards and I saw your post. My best friend has stage IV pancreatic cancer. She was complaining that her back hurt and the pain went around to the side. THe dr told her that her sugar was high and she was diabetic. I remember when we went to lunch she hardly ate, she said she felt nauseaus but wrote it off to the medicine. She was fatigued but was working long hours. I did think it strange she was so listless.
Her cancer did show up on the cat scan. The PET scan showed it had spread to her liver. 6 months later the cat scan wasnt as through as a MRI as that showed the cancer had spread to her stomach and spleen.
If your uncles had pancreatic cancer then I would certainly be screened often and take part in some studies that follow families.
I know IBS and acid reflux can play havoc with the body too. I get all kinds of symptoms that freak me out and after clean bills of health it points back to IBS. Just a thought do you take any osteroporosis medicine? That sure did a number on me

Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #10
(female)

Mrs. LeFave HB User

Pancreas problems do show up on a CT scan, I had a bad surgery a couple yrs. ago where the surgeon nicked my pancreas. I was transferred to a teaching hospital, where they made the diagnosis with a CT scan.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

herniated discs can sure be painful. I have two L4-L5 and was just approved through workmanscomp to have back surgery. I have alot of back pain and sometimes in weird places. I have been told it is just pain from the back. I do get a little freaked because of my girlfriend having the pancreatic cancer. However, as I stated before she had other indications something more was wrong.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:08 AM   #12
(female)

Intron123 HB User

If you are interested, follow this link for more info-
The Pancreatic Genetic Study
[url]http://www.karmanos.org/cancer.asp?id=927&cid=19[/url]
take care!

Closed Thread