It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
(female)

Kathyree HB User
Pressure under sternum

Hi....I hope someone can give me some insight on the following symptoms.

About 5 weeks ago one Thursday I started having bad heartburn, indigestion, nausea, reflux and tightness under my sternum (I normally don't have heartburn or indigestion, but had a few times in the last month). I went the whole weekend unable to get any relief from Tagament or Pepcid AC. Monday I called the doc, they put me on 2 prilosec a day, by Thurs. I was a little better, but definately not back to normal. Went into the doc, he figured it was probably my gallbladder and sent me for test. It came back slightly abnomal, so he sent me to surgeon. Surgeon was not convinced it was gallbladder and sent me to G.I. doc to test me for ulcers and check my pancreas, because I am having pressure in that area. Went to the G.I. doc and I told him my main symptoms I was still having was belching alot and pressure in sternum area. He said we shouldn't get excited and do a bunch of test yet (like the surgeon had suggested), but to stay on the prilosec twice a day for 1 month, which I have already been on it for 3 weeks(Ugh!!!). He thinks it might only be reflux.

In the mean time, my pressure has gotten worse and feels like it is going thru to my back also. I am feeling some nausea again now too. When I belch it relieves some pressure, but I feel pressure when I twist my torso too. Has anyone had simalar symptoms??? Any feedback would be great. I am at my wits end and don't know whether I should try to tough it out for 3 more weeks or call the office and go ahead and go back in.

Thanks

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2007, 05:55 AM   #2
(female)

Donna K HB User
Re: Pressure under sternum

I have the same symptoms and I had my gallbladder removed in Jan. due to gallstones. Unfortunatley for me having my gallbladder removed did not eliminate the symptoms. I've had every test imaginable (CT scan, endoscopy, Barium CT
heart scan and CT of coronary arteries--all come back clear) and I wake up every day with pressure in my chest (under my left breast) and this non-stop need to burp. I also have a lot phlem and cough it up like a cat! My gastro doctor does not think I have acid reflux or gerd. He keeps telling me it's not gastro related. I've seen so many doctors (gastro, cardio, nuro) and still no answer.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #3
(female)

Donna K HB User

Anybody have any of the same symptoms? Any ideas?

Old 06-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #4
(male)

payton HB User

sounds like a hiatal hernia, very common and has tendency to mimic symptoms of several GI/digestive problems. also can at times be so bad that is can mimic the pain patterns of a myocardial infarction.

Closed Thread