It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

nanarich1 HB User
hida scan

i have been having terrible pain in my right side, mainly after eating. i just had a hida scan done today and it did not really hurt. does this mean my gallbladder is fine?

Old 07-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: hida scan

Not necessarily. Have you had an ultrasound? That checks for stones. The HIDA scan checks for function.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

the ultrasound came back normal. the hida scan did not hurt and most said if the gallbladder was acting up, it would hurt.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM   #4
(female)

Forensicmom HB User

My ultrasound was normal, so was the upper GI. The Hida scan didn't hurt or make me sick, however when I got the results almost 2 weeks later, it showed the function was only at 16%. It's been almost 2 months since I had it removed and I'm starting to get back to normal.

I sure hope you can get ome relief.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #5
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

They are suppose to have my results today. I hope this is going to be resolved once and for all, it has been months of feeling this way. I cant imagine what else or what other test could be done. I have went through everything. Now I have panic/anxiety attacks because I am so nervous. When I get my results, I will get them posted. thanks!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

Got my results back and my gallbladder is at 15%!! I am being recommended to a surgeon but I understand not all surgeons will remove your gallbladder even if it is at 15%...anyone have an answer???

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

You know, I just don't understand this business of the surgeon deciding. Wher does this happen? Not in Birmingham, AL from my experience. If your PCP/internist/etc refers you for surgery, the surgeon does the operation - all things being equal, of course. Whether or not you get relief from the surgery is not his venue...it's the referring doc's.

Goodness!

Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #8
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

I totally agree!! every dr has their own place in the medical world. Surgeons do not know you as well as the other doctor(s) so let the decision making be left to them! It was explained to me that the surgeon may try other methods before considering removing it. Dieting, more medicines????? What???I am praying that IF they do remove it, all the madness will come to a halt! I have been going through this pain far too long. Anyone know how it will feel after a gallbladder surgery?? Much pain? 100% relief from the feeling before it was removed??

Old 07-07-2007, 06:06 PM   #9
(male)

miknan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanarich1 View Post
I totally agree!! every dr has their own place in the medical world. Surgeons do not know you as well as the other doctor(s) so let the decision making be left to them! It was explained to me that the surgeon may try other methods before considering removing it. Dieting, more medicines????? What???I am praying that IF they do remove it, all the madness will come to a halt! I have been going through this pain far too long. Anyone know how it will feel after a gallbladder surgery?? Much pain? 100% relief from the feeling before it was removed??
Nanarich,

No stones, no replication of symptoms during the CCK, I would talk to a couple different doctors about removing your gallbladder and the odds of helping you. I know you had a low function but I would really think it over. I guess it depends on how bad you really feel. I was nauseous occasionally and had some right sided pain but most days I was fine. I very much regret having my out at this point and I was a supposedly a good candidate because of my severe pain and nausea during the CCK part of hidascan. With no replication of symptoms I wonder if it could still be something else bothering you, like gastroparesis. Maybe ask for a gastric emptying study before removing your gb.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM   #10
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

Well I am finally going for a consult with a surgeon on the 30th of this month. I will let him know what is going on and leave it up to him whether I need the surgery or try some type of treatment. I am kinda of nervous but really looking forward for the pain and aniexty to stop. I do get some (little)relief once my bowls move but, I am usually suffering for about 2-3 hours. Is this normal? I have started getting these aniexty attacks. As I understand, gallbladder problems can trigger it. True? What should I ask the surgeon when I go in for my consult? This is really all the way new to me and I want to get it right the first time.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
(female)

nanci2539 HB User

I just met again with my sugeon yesteday. I had a HIDA last October. No pain on CCK injection; no stones. Function came back at 17%. However, the surgeon was hesitant to take out my GB because my complaints were not classic GB complaints. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion; he echoed the same as the first. He felt that taking out my GB would not alleviate my symptoms of severe stomach burning; indigestion and gas; dull (very dull, more sore) pain in the right sided area. Because it's an operation; I decided to hold off. All tests I've ever had (for ten years now) only show gastritis and nothing else. No reflux, no ulcers, no stones, all other organs normal.

Finally went back to the doctor a few weeks ago. He did another scope; just gastriis. He is leaning towards billary dksenkia (sp?) which is basically a low functioning GB. He ordered another Hida Scan. Got those results a few days ago. Function was 49.95%. That's as close to normal as you can get.

Went back to the surgeon yesterday. He said he has seen this happen when two different Hida's can show different function. He said the Hida was not an absolute test and minus stones, he hesitates to take out my GB. In about an hour, I'm going to see my gastro doctor to get his opinion.

Okay, what questions did I ask? Asked how many GB's he's taken out (he said 2500). I asked about risks of surgery and after surgery concerns (everyone is different). I asked about down time (he said 5-10 days).

He said at this point with me, it's 50/50. I don't know what to do? If it isn't the GB causing these symptoms, I'm back to square one without a GB.

I guess I just had to vent - sorry if this doesn't help you but as one poster suggested, maybe you should get a second opinion.

Old 07-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539 View Post
I just met again with my sugeon yesteday. I had a HIDA last October. No pain on CCK injection; no stones. Function came back at 17%. However, the surgeon was hesitant to take out my GB because my complaints were not classic GB complaints. I went to another surgeon for a second opinion; he echoed the same as the first. He felt that taking out my GB would not alleviate my symptoms of severe stomach burning; indigestion and gas; dull (very dull, more sore) pain in the right sided area. Because it's an operation; I decided to hold off. All tests I've ever had (for ten years now) only show gastritis and nothing else. No reflux, no ulcers, no stones, all other organs normal.

Finally went back to the doctor a few weeks ago. He did another scope; just gastriis. He is leaning towards billary dksenkia (sp?) which is basically a low functioning GB. He ordered another Hida Scan. Got those results a few days ago. Function was 49.95%. That's as close to normal as you can get.

Went back to the surgeon yesterday. He said he has seen this happen when two different Hida's can show different function. He said the Hida was not an absolute test and minus stones, he hesitates to take out my GB. In about an hour, I'm going to see my gastro doctor to get his opinion.

Okay, what questions did I ask? Asked how many GB's he's taken out (he said 2500). I asked about risks of surgery and after surgery concerns (everyone is different). I asked about down time (he said 5-10 days).

He said at this point with me, it's 50/50. I don't know what to do? If it isn't the GB causing these symptoms, I'm back to square one without a GB.

I guess I just had to vent - sorry if this doesn't help you but as one poster suggested, maybe you should get a second opinion.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to ask similar questions to those you mentioned. I am very nervous. Like you, if I have mine removed but it is not my GB, I will back at square root 1!! My gastro dr is 100% sure it is my GB but said it is up to the surgeon. He mentioned treatment in replace of the surgery to start..what is the treatment? After eating (45-1hr) I get totally sick. Either my body starts to shake and from me feeling like I am freezing or it gets overheated and I have to take an Ativan to calm down. And always, if feel as though my bowls need to move. Once they move, I start to feel better...Is that weird or just part of the malfuncting GB????I would prefer not to have another Hida Scan done. I don't want to keep spending money on the same treatments. What are the alternative treatments he is talking about???

Old 07-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #13
(female)

nanarich1 HB User

i went to see my prim dr to get put on fmla for my gallbladder problems. i asked if there was alternative to the surgery and she said no. once its bad it just gets worse. my gastro said not all surgeons want to remove it (working at a 15%) that they may want to try an alternative method. im confused!! is there an alternative or is surgery the only way??

Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
(female)

creativeconcept HB User

My ejection fraction was low but my symptoms were not reproduced. I felt sick as crap during the scan but my main complaint was pain. I had several things going on so who know. My gallbladder was later removed.

Sherri

Closed Thread