It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
(female)

numbcy HB User
I bloat like a balloon after I eat! Help!

For the last 4 years this has been going on.

I am 103 lbs, 5'6", pretty attractive, 22 year old female. My stomach is nice and flat most of the time (unless I eat). I am a size 3 in pants. My body is very proportionate. But, as soon as I eat a meal, I bloat to the size I was when I was about 6 months pregnant! My stomach protrudes further than my breasts! Literally, after I eat, my stomach protrudes AT LEAST 6 inches further than the way it was before I ate.

I am an attractive female, but I am forced to wear HUGE overly baggy clothes to hide my stomach. I feel very ugly all of the time. Because everyone else my age wears these cute, hip clothes. And then there's me: in my dad's enormous old T-shirt and jeans.

I look great! . . . if I don't eat. So, if I plan on going somewhere important where I need to dress up and look nice. Example: A meeting, interview, nice restaurunt, etc . . . then I have to starve myself all day. And then I can't eat when I'm there either because it instantly protrudes.

Does anyone else suffer from this?

Is there a pill I can take to make this NOT happen???

Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: I bloat like a balloon after I eat! Help!

Gastritis can cause bloating after meals. It is an inflammation of the stomach lining. Which is really no big deal. It can be caused by too many spicy foods or asprin and ibuprofen intake. You can buy over the counter zantac and take two a day. if that doesn't help your doctor can prescribe you somethine stronger. This type medicine reduces the acid in the stomach allowing the stomach to heal and return to it's normal size. This type medicine is also prescribed for a number of other ailments like stomach ulcer, GERD and Acid Reflux.

I too am a 22 year old female with stomach troubles. You aren't alone! God bless!

Phillipians 4:3-4

Last edited by B143C; 08-01-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
(female)

numbcy HB User

Do you bloat as HUGE as I do?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
(female)

laphotowoman HB User

I have the same problem-- I totally look pregnant after eating. I avoid eating whenever I have to be around people for work, etc., so I feel your pain.

Right now I have no insurance, so I have to wait until after Sept to get a blood test for allergies, which may be the culprit-- I also, in addition to the bloat, have gurgling/growling noises after I eat, nausea, gas, etc. No pain just incredible amounts of bloat and gas.
I take 1/4 an Ativan to relax my stomach so I can eat without the pressure/nausea being so bad. Since have gotten no help from Dr's, am going to try a holisitc herbalist next.
Seems so many people have digestive problems these days, especially women.
If I gain any clarity on this I'll post back..

Last edited by laphotowoman; 08-06-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:27 PM   #5
(female)

numbcy HB User

Thank you for your support . . . I feel for you. It's so dificult to plan your life around when and where you eat. It's like you have to go into your home and hide in a corner to eat, after everyone is gone. I get so hungry when I'm at a party or something and everyone's eating and it all smells so good!

Please, do let me know if you make any progress in your research. I have actually just started seeing a naturopath/herbalist because I also have had no help whatsoever from any of the several doctors I have seen.

Oh, and I also get the gurgling, wierdo symptoms that come with it.

. . . This might sound kind of gross . . . but . . . does your food ever come out undigested? As in you can see what you ate for supper the night before? . . . sorry to be so graphic.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:46 PM   #6
(female)

simple101 HB User
Cool Re: I bloat like a balloon after I eat! Help!

Before you spend too much on cures, have you tried to avoid just the gassy foods? Start with no dairy/lactose and eat good food only, no junk.

For me if I have any dairy, chocolate, orange juice, coffee, alcohol it can only be before I go to sleep or the symptoms ruin me.

One clue it could be lactose: have a big serving of cheese at lunch and if you bloat badly by supper and hours later have really stinky gas and explosive bm's then you may have figured it out!

P.S. yeah, my boyfriend still loves me.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:45 AM   #7
(female)

numbcy HB User

Hey, thanks for your input. All is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is that easy . . . because I've been vegan for 4 years now. I havn't had dairy or meat in 4 years! My diet consists of pretty much a lot of veggies, a medium amount of bread, a little fruit, and a little nuts. And this is 50% organic and ALWAYS additive/perservative free.

So . . . I'm thinking the problem is not dairy. lol.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:51 AM   #8
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by debilitatingdiz View Post
Hey, thanks for your input. All is appreciated.

Unfortunately, I don't think the problem is that easy . . . because I've been vegan for 4 years now. I havn't had dairy or meat in 4 years! My diet consists of pretty much a lot of veggies, a medium amount of bread, a little fruit, and a little nuts. And this is 50% organic and ALWAYS additive/perservative free.

So . . . I'm thinking the problem is not dairy. lol.
I usually thought that the chemicals & preservatives in the foods I ate played a big part in causing stomach bloating & shortness of breath . Wish the medical community making some progress in correctly diagnosing the real cause .

Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
(female)

numbcy HB User

Yeah, who knows. ???

. . . I'm so weary of thinking and trying to figure it out . . . I decided to just give it all to God. He's the only one that does know what it is . . . and I just don't have any strength left . . .

. . . amazing thing is though, since then (a whole 24 hours ago! lol.) my spiritual strength has really helped me a lot. It's a little easier to get through the day now. . . . though I am still suffering greatly in the physical world. (research my name on this site, if you wish. this is far from the only problem I have.)

Hope you have a good day today. Remember to breathe.

Last edited by numbcy; 08-30-2007 at 08:54 AM.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I'm in my 60's & have the same problem, but I know what makes me bloat the worst. Anything with wheat or gluten, or any dairy products. So I'm on an extremely restricted diet with none of the above, and no more looking pregnant.

Old 09-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User

I get not just bloat but what i feel is bigger: abdominal distention!! THis causes me to have at times, SERIOUS trouble breathing. I think the pressure puts more pressure on the lungs, causing one to have difficulty expanding those lungs when they breathe. I had an AWFUL "episode" yesterday, such trouble breathing and then I got anxious and afraid... I was about to call 911...! I prayed like crazy... got on my knees... it was still ver ybad.... in desperation, I took a mild tranquilizer and in a little while, my body relaxed and i was able to breathe a lot better. It is SO scary to have trouble breathing, esp when you are fully alert and aware as I was.

I did notice when trying, however frightened I was, to suck in my gut and put pressure on it to push IN.. that it all lessened... but it was truly scary indeed.
Any help would be grealy appreciated!!

I could hardly talk at times, too... so severe was the breathing problem. I stil thank God that it did pass though my abdomen was still very large and distended. I had to relax..... the fear caused the symptom to worsen and man was it so scary!!! I thought I might not be able to get a breath at all and am wondering now if i should have called 911 after all, at least for peace of mind.

Closed Thread