It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Hamilton92 HB UserHamilton92 HB User
What do you do when you can't even swallow soft foods and liquids?

What can I do when I cant even hardly swallow liquids or soft foods.
I was having trouble eating mashed potatoes last night. They kept feeling like they're getting stuck in the middle of my chest and I take a drink to force it the rest of the way down. Even yogurt this morning was hard getting down.
I have had a swallowing problem and digestion problem for 3 years now.
My stomach is constantly burning and churning. I always have a raw, burning feeling in my stomach and belly button area.
I have constant either diarrah or constipation, I can't swallow solid foods without getting stuck and I'm scared now of choking to death or ever eating normally again.
I have no insurance so I can go see a doctor.
I've had testing before when I still had insurance but that was over a year ago.
I had an endoscopy when this first started 3 years ago and only came up with mild colitis. I am much worse than when this first started.
I had a cat scan but had a bad reaction to the contrast dye drink and couldn't complete it with the dye so the results were completely black on the results without that dye.
I had an ultrasound which at first couldn't find my gallbladder, the doctor said either I was born without one or it had contracted up under another organ like my liver. This didn't sound right at all.
Well I had a hida scan which showed that I do have a gallbladder and was filling up too slowly and I got very sick from the radioactive injection and had a huge knot in my throat like I was going to choke and a very bad metallic taste in my mouth the entire time of the test and cold chills. I was so sick I couldn't complete the CCK part of the test.
I've had every blood test imaginable and my doctor even went as far as an AIDS test because he was running out of things to try.
This was all through a gastroenterologist at the time.
I have recently called my regular doctors office to try to get in to see him. To see if they would possibly set me up on a payment plan or something.
They won't let me see him without insurance, they said their new policy is to not schedule patients without insurance. This is so ridiculous. He has been my doctor since I was 18! Almost 15 years and he's truly the only doctor I trust.
I don't know what to do.
I am getting scared. I feel like my esophagus is so narrowed now that it is getting really, really bad where I can't even eat soft foods. Does this happen to anyone else?
I drink bottles of Gaviscon, usually going through a bottle of liquid Gaviscon a week to try to cut back on some of the burning in my stomach.
Please help! Any advice is so greatly appreciated now!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #2
(female)

valentine14 HB User
Re: What do you do when you can't even swallow soft foods and liquids?

I too have this problem! Anything I eat feels like it remains stuck in the top of my throat. I'll drink water and everythign but it never helps. I also get nauseus from it.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

My husband has this. His mom has it too. Her doctor told her she just had a narrow eshopaguas. ( I spelled that wrong no doubt!)

Old 08-13-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

Hmm. After I went back and re-read - I see you have burning - that can be an ulcer or erosion of the esophaguas. Call your doc and schedule an appointment. Until then take otc zantac twice a day. Ulcers are treated with antacids to allow the lining of the tummy to heal.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
(male)

Barrygood HB User

Hi ..your symptoms sound like it could possible be Achalasia.

Closed Thread