It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 04:47 PM   #1
(male)

joe9 HB User
Cholestyramine Users - HELP!!!

I had my gallbladder removed in 2002 and I suffered with the bile diarrhea immediately as a result - but my doctor at the time put me on a type of Cholestyramine manufactured by EON LABS... it was a miracle drug! IT SAVED MY LIFE! I started taking it in 2002 and for 5 wonderful years I could eat whatever I liked, with no more bile salt "D". Excellent...!!!

HOWEVER -- I ran into a problem this past June in 2007 when the EON LABS version was discontinued, as they were bought out by the company called SANDOZ. Even though I've called the SANDOZ people on the phone and they swear they haven't manufactured it differently, I KNOW that something has changed.. because after 5 years of success (that's like 2000 great days!) the new Sandoz brand made me feel bloated and gassy, and with Nausea (the old EON LABS brand never did this). I began to freak out, and I then tried QUESTRAN LIGHT, but it after a few days I also gained the gass, and some nausea.... now I am on my third brand of cholestyramine, distributed my PAR PHRAMACEUTICALS...... and after 6 days I am having some abdominal nausea and gas and discomforts again....

So this is a tragedy for me -- I've got to take this powder and it has worked wonderfully for me for 5 long years with EON LABS, but while all these new brands still work great at controlling my urgent diarrhea (thanks God for that!), it's coming at the expense of all sorts of stomach nausea/ gas!! Can anyone offer any advice or case histories of their own?? Do these side effects eventually stop??? Has anyone exprienced a similar problem with different brands??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User
Re: Cholestyramine Users - HELP!!!

I've taking Cholestyramine Light from Eon Labs since 2001, i had an intestinal resection the end of the ileum was removed, so i was told i would have bile salt diarrhea because i'd lack the end of the ileum which absorbs the bile salts. In 2005 i took Prevalite instead, then last year Par, i preferred Par cause it didn't have the ingredients fructose, mannitol, sorbitol, which can be diarrheical. Over the last 3+ months i switched to regular Cholestyramine from Par, cause i wanted to avoid Aspartame, which can be diarrheical, and it works better, i was experiencing diarrhea once a day since last year.
Yes, in the first years of using Cholestyramine Light i didn't have any flatulence then it got worse, i tried reducing the dose, i always used one packet a day, first thing in the morning on empty stomach, get the version that comes in a can with a scoop, so u can take less than a full dose, im using the 9cc scoop from Par's Cholestyramine Light with regular Cholestyramine from Par (which uses a 15cc scoop per dose), so i'm taking 60% of the dose. Maybe your body adapts and starts absorbing bile salts better, taking cholestyramine removes part of the bile so it gives you a hard time digesting some foods.

I emailed the Sandoz people
[url]https://www.us.sandoz.com/popups/contact_popup/ContactCustomerSupport.shtml[/url]
requesting a pdf file of the Cholestyramine package insert and it is the same package insert from Eon Labs, same inactive ingredients, it says "Rev.08/02" in the beginning and "Manufactured by:Eon Labs, Inc., Laurelton, NY 11413" at the end.
i have an actual old insert of Eon Labs which says "Rev.01/00" and "Manufactured by:Eon Labs Manufacturing, Inc., The Pharmacy Drug Company, Laurelton, NY 11413" at the end, and everything is exactly the same, i mean same inactive ingredients:
"Nine grams of Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension, USP powder contain 4 grams of cholestyramine
resin. Inactive ingredients: citric acid anhydrous, fructose, mono ammonium glycyrrhizinate, pectin, propylene glycol alginate, sorbitol, sucrose, xanthan gum, natural and artificial orange flavor, D&C Yellow No. 10 aluminum lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 aluminum lake."

They also sent me a pdf file of Eon Labs Cholestyramine Light (Rev.10/02), "Each 5.7 grams of Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension, USP Light powder contain 4 grams of cholestyramine resin. Inactive ingredients: aspartame, citric acid anhydrous, colloidal silicon dioxide, fructose, mannitol, mono ammonium glycyrrhizinate, pectin, propylene glycol alginate, sorbitol, xanthan gum, natural and artificial orange flavor, D&C Yellow No. 10 aluminum lake, FD&C Yellow No. 6 aluminum lake."
same as old Eon Labs insert i have.

Par Pharmaceutical current ingredients (Insert "Issued 02/05"):
Four grams of anhydrous cholestyramine resin is contained in 9 grams of Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP. Four grams of anhydrous
cholestyramine resin is contained in 5 grams of Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP, Light.
Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP contains the following inactive ingredients: acacia, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavor (natural and artificial Orange), polysorbate 80, propylene glycol alginate and sucrose.
Cholestyramine for Oral Suspension USP, Light contains the following inactive ingredients: aspartame, citric acid, colloidal silicon dioxide, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Red No. 40, flavor (natural and artificial Orange), maltodextrin,
propylene glycol alginate and xanthan gum.

Questran and Questran Light, (Mfd by:
BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB COMPANY
Princeton, New Jersey 08543 USA
Mfd for:
PAR PHARMACEUTICAL, INC.
Spring Valley, New York 10977 USA

insert "Issued 07/02"):
Four grams of anhydrous cholestyramine
resin is contained in 9 grams of QUESTRAN POWDER.
Four grams of anhydrous cholestyramine resin is contained in 6.4
grams of QUESTRAN LIGHT.
QUESTRAN POWDER contains the following inactive ingredients:
acacia, citric acid, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Yellow No. 6,
flavor (natural and artificial), polysorbate 80, propylene glycol
alginate, and sucrose (421 mg/g powder).

QUESTRAN LIGHT (Orange Vanilla) contains the following inactive ingredients:
aspartame, citric acid USP anhydrous, D&C Yellow No. 10, FD&C Yellow No. 6, flavors (natural and artificial Orange, natural and artificial Vanilla Cream), maltodextrin, magnesium sulfate USP heptahydrate, propylene glycol alginate, colloidal silicon dioxide, and xanthan gum.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:07 AM   #3
(male)

joe9 HB User

Johnny,

Thanks so much for responding. Do I understand you right, that SANDOZ (the new company) really is exactly the same as the old EON LABS? There were exactly the same ingredients in EON Cholestyramine as there are now in SANDOZ? Because I definitely got some bad adverse reactions when trying the new SANDOZ product, and even though the packaging is identical and the powder itself looks exactly the same in color and consistency, I definitely had some sour taste in my mouth, slight nausea, and bad stomach acid and gas each day while taking the new SANDOZ, where I never did before with EON.

Do you know if it takes some time before adverse reactions disappear? I never had a single negative reaction to EON, as I said before, so I am wondering.

Right now I am on the Par brand of Cholestyramine (the individual packet). I have always taken only one each morning. If you notice, the powder itself is not as "finely ground" as EON was... the Par version is slightly more "lumpy" and requires a little more vigorous stirring in the glass. I have been taking this Par brand for 9 days so far, and the first two days were excellent, but the last 7 have introduced gas in the stomach and pressure, and much discomfort... but the thing is, I need to take cholestyramine because it works GREAT at preventing me from having the bile diarrhea.

My life is miserable since no longer taking the EON brand. I like your suggestion of going with the "scoop" version so I may be able to take less dosage. I tried taking "half a packet" of the SANDOZ pwder in the beginning, but it was difficult to divide a packet "in half".

Luckily, I do not need to take more than one single 4gram packet per day to control my bile diarrhea (the recommended dosage is ususally two). I would really appreciate it if you could get back to me on this, as your help is very much appreciated! You are sure the SANDOZ was the same as EON? Because I am thinking of going back to SANDOZ and trying it again.... I just know the new SANDOZ maunufacturer and formula seemed to disagree with me right away when I switched from the EON....

Quote:
I emailed the Sandoz people
[url]https://www.us.sandoz.com/popups/contact_popup/ContactCustomerSupport.shtml[/url]
requesting a pdf file of the Cholestyramine package insert and it is the same package insert from Eon Labs, same inactive ingredients, it says "Rev.08/02" in the beginning and "Manufactured by:Eon Labs, Inc., Laurelton, NY 11413" at the end.
i have an actual old insert of Eon Labs which says "Rev.01/00" and "Manufactured by:Eon Labs Manufacturing, Inc., The Pharmacy Drug Company, Laurelton, NY 11413" at the end, and everything is exactly the same
Yes, but the dates here are old - one says 2000 and the other says 2002, is this correct? Because SANDOZ bought out EON in 2005, but it was not until 2007 that the old supply of the EON LABS version was completely exhausted, and now they no longer exist. I am wondering if a new insert dated 2007 would still be exactly the same as EON from 2000 thru 2005? SANDOZ in 2007 can no longer say: "Manufactured by:Eon Labs Manufacturing, Inc., The Pharmacy Drug Company, Laurelton, NY 11413" because EON LABS no longer exists in that name.

Last edited by joe9; 08-18-2007 at 03:18 AM.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

I'm still not sure if you take Cholestyramine (contains a little bit of sucrose=table sugar from sugarcane, not as bad as Aspartame) or Cholestyramine Light (has Aspartame, not good for you, terrible if you might be having Irritable Bowel Syndrome, just like every artificial sweetener, it will irritate your colon). Maybe the unabsorbed bile salts have been irritating your colon all these years, and you have developed something similar to IBS, all the flatulence, remember unabsorbed bile salts irritate the colon and that's what produces the diarrhea, so you capture them with cholestyramine.

You can try using the scoop from Cholestyramine Light by Par (9cc, 5g dose of C.L. as it says in the package insert) or the scoop of Cholestyramine Light by Eon (5.7g dose of C.L. might be bigger than Par's scoop) with Cholestyramine by Par which is a 15cc scopp per 9g dose, you would be taking 60% of the dose of Cholestyramine by Par.
The scoops from Par have a flat bottom, so you can see half the dose, Eon's scoops have a round bottom, it's impossible to see half dose in them.

You can also buy measuring scoops that have like 1Tbsp, 1Tsp, 1/2Tsp, some time ago i was taking daily like 1/4 the dose of C.L. by Eon, the scoop was like 1Tbsp, so i was using a 1/2 Tsp that was 1/4 the scoop of Eon's C.L.
A 1/4 dose daily might work for you, since you have a complete intestine, your Ileum absorbs bile salts perfectly.

Flatulence can by related to constipation (did you read the side effects on the package insert? there it is mentioned constipation, flatulence, as the top side effects), try drinking more water daily, most people forget to drink water, like 1 8oz glass per hour, or every 2 hours, eat more fruit. Maybe you're lacking some vitamins, from not eating fruit.

Are you sure you are not lactose intolerant? Many people become lactose intolerant like in their 20s, 30s, etc.

Drinks that contain High Fructose Corn Syrup can be be really diarrheical. Artificial Sweeteners like Aspartame, Acesulfame K, Sucralose can cause diarrhea.

Cholestyramine by Par mixes perfectly, easily and tastes better than Cholestyramine by Eon, i once bought a box of Cholestyramine by Eon and it was so disgusting (horrible taste and aftertaste all day, made my throat sore) i continued taking Cholestyramine Light by Eon.
Par is better cause it doesn't contain fructose (can cause diarrhea), sorbitol, mannitol (diuretic, makes you urinate more, and also a sweetener sugar alcohol, like sorbitol, can cause diarrhea), pectin (antidiarrheical in some bacteria-related diarrhea, but can also be diarrheical in some people).
If you took Eon's version you'd still have flatulence, it is caused by the active ingredient Cholestyramine itself, because it binds bile salts, and you can't digest some fats, so you get flatulence if it removes all your bile salts you need for digestion (read the insert).

Cholestyramine Light by Par that one is hard on the throat, just like Prevalite and Apothecon (discontinued) was. Cholestyramine Light by Eon, yes the powder is perfectly/finely ground, that one is easier to swallow, but you can taste the aspartame, fructose, sorbitol it has, these 3 ingredients are diarrheical, and Cholestyramine Light by Par has less aspartame, and no fructose or sorbitol or mannitol, it's 5g per dose, that means only 1g of inactive ingredients, while Eon is 5.7g per dose, that means 1.7g of inactive ingredients.
Seems you were describing Cholestyramine Light by Par.

I think the body can adapt to not having a gallbladder, so you might need less cholestyramine today, and in time, maybe not need it anymore.

You should go here and ask them about ingredients, changes

Sandoz - Contact Customer Support:

I asked them the ingredients (like 3 days ago) and they sent me package inserts in pdf format of Cholestyramine that obviously are up to date they wouldn't send me info that doesn't have the current ingredients, the last time the insert was revised was 08/02, that doesn't mean the ingredients have changed since then.

[url]https://www.us.sandoz.com/site/en/company/news/pool/ADR%20LISTING.pdf[/url]
go to this page see the header says "Sandoz" and "Eon Labs The Pharmacy Drug Company", like it's the same company, so Sandoz bought Eon Labs and now Eon Labs still manufactures Cholesytyramine, FOR Sandoz, just like Bristol Myers Squibb manufactures Questran for Par Pharmaceutical.

Hey Joe, can u please help me find out the ingredients for Locholest (regular one, not Light version)

Old 08-18-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

As many as 20 percent of people who have surgery to remove their gallbladders (cholecystectomy) develop diarrhea. The diarrhea may last for many years. But it often improves over time — even without treatment.

The cause of diarrhea after gallbladder removal isn't clear. Many experts believe that it results from an increase in bile, especially bile acids, entering the large intestine — which may act as a laxative.

Treatment of diarrhea after gallbladder removal may include:

Anti-diarrheal medications, such as loperamide (Imodium)
Medications that impair absorption of bile acids, such as cholestyramine or aluminum hydroxide
A high-fiber diet to give your stool more bulk
There's no evidence that dietary changes improve diarrhea associated with gallbladder removal. However, you may want to limit foods that can worsen diarrhea. These include:

Spicy foods
Dairy products
Fatty foods
Caffeine
Alcohol
Certain medications — such as antacids with magnesium — also can increase diarrhea. Talk to your doctor before making any changes to your diet or medications.

Last edited by Johnny1979; 08-18-2007 at 12:43 PM.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
(male)

joe9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1979 View Post
I'm still not sure if you take Cholestyramine (contains a little bit of sucrose=table sugar from sugarcane, not as bad as Aspartame) or Cholestyramine Light
Johnny - I'd like to try and address some of your points separately. First, I had been taking the regular Cholestyramine, the one which contains SUCROSE (not fructose and not Aspartame) . I took the Eon Labs Cholestyramine brand from 2002 - 2007 and it was a miracle, no problems at all. Then this past June, EON had been completely replaced by SANDOZ -- and the SANDOZ product gives me many problems, even though they claim to be the same exact product (I do not believe they are). You have to consider that I took 4grams of Eon Labs Cholestyramine every morning for 5 years (that's almost 2000 straight days!) and I felt great! No diarrhea, and NO SIDE EFFECTS.

After giving SANDOZ a try for about 10 days with bad side effects last June, I tried to take Par's "Questran Light" with Aspartame in July for about 8 days, but it ALSO gave me bad side effects so I am now taking the Par Cholestyramine (with SUCROSE) -- and it, too, seems to be giving me a little nausea and some gas... *I should also mention that when I say "gas", I do not mean "flatulence".... I do not have a flatulence problem -- my problem is acid indigestion and belching from the Cholestyramine, from the "top", not the "bottom".

Quote:
try drinking more water daily, most people forget to drink water, like 1 8oz glass per hour, or every 2 hours, eat more fruit. Maybe you're lacking some vitamins, from not eating fruit.
Actually, I eat a LOT of fruit, and I drink LOTS of water!

Quote:
Are you sure you are not lactose intolerant? Many people become lactose intolerant like in their 20s, 30s, etc.
No - I am not.... my only trouble is, I had my gallbladder removed in 2002, and ever since I have bile diarrhea. Especially when eating. Any new type of cholestyramine I have tried (no matter whether sucrose or aspartame "light") works perfectly at binding the bile acids... the only trouble is, it comes at a cost of many side effects, since stopping "Eon" ....

Quote:
Cholestyramine by Par mixes perfectly, easily and tastes better than Cholestyramine by Eon, i once bought a box of Cholestyramine by Eon and it was so disgusting (horrible taste and aftertaste all day, made my throat sore) i continued taking Cholestyramine Light by Eon.
But you see, you and I had different experiences there. I had nothing but success with regular Eon Cholestyramine. It's funny you mention the bad aftertaste all day, because that only started for me when Eon switched over to "Sandoz"!

Quote:
If you took Eon's version you'd still have flatulence, it is caused by the active ingredient Cholestyramine itself, because it binds bile salts, and you can't digest some fats, so you get flatulence if it removes all your bile salts you need for digestion (read the insert).
No, Eon did not ever cause me flatulence, nor indigestion! I don't know why, but it never did! But it's very interesting what you have been telling me about the symptoms getting caused by "removing all bile salts". I have been thinking that the Cholestyramine itself is now causing me side effects because it is like a poison intruder that is irritating my system .... but you've told me that what is actually taking place is, my bile salts are getting binded and there are no more for regular digestion (which may be causing my side effects). So I am thinking that cutting the does to 3/4 may help (I DID try cutting SANDOZ down to 1/2 packet, or 1 teaspoon... it relieved my side effetcs, but it did not stop the bile diarrhea).

Quote:
Eon, yes the powder is perfectly/finely ground, that one is easier to swallow, but you can taste the aspartame, fructose, sorbitol it has, these 3 ingredients are diarrheical, and Cholestyramine Light by Par has less aspartame, and no fructose or sorbitol or mannitol, it's 5g per dose, that means only 1g of inactive ingredients, while Eon is 5.7g per dose, that means 1.7g of inactive ingredients.
Seems you were describing Cholestyramine Light by Par.
Both regular Eon Cholestyramine, as well as Questran Light by Par, have been "finely ground". The Eon was light orange in color, and the Par Questran Light was white-colored. The "light" gave me side effects too, so I stopped it after about 8 days -- I am presently on Par regular Cholestyramine, and it is orange, but the powder is much more "lumpy". Still gives me some side effects, though.

Quote:
I think the body can adapt to not having a gallbladder, so you might need less cholestyramine today, and in time, maybe not need it anymore.
I hope you're right, but I have tried recently to STOP taking the Cholestyramine all together, and I STILL have bile diarrhea. Some people never get used to it after having their gallbladders removed and sometimes others' bodies adapt (from what I've read). Mine has not adapted, unfortunately. Recently I heard that taking a simple CALCIUM SUPPLEMENT (and no medication) may help bind diarrhea. So I tried taking calcium for about 8 days instea dof Cholestyramine.... and while I felt great (meaning no ill effects) the calcium never helped bind me as well as Cholestyramine did.... so I stopped the calcium and am now trying regular Par Cholestyramine.

Quote:
You should go here and ask them about ingredients, changes

Sandoz - Contact Customer Support:

I asked them the ingredients (like 3 days ago) and they sent me package inserts in pdf format of Cholestyramine that obviously are up to date they wouldn't send me info that doesn't have the current ingredients, the last time the insert was revised was 08/02, that doesn't mean the ingredients have changed since then.
Thank you - but I did call the actual people at Sandoz several times in the past two months -- each time, they promised me that "Sandoz is the exact same formula as the old Eon Labs", but the horrible aftertaste all day, acid indigestion, and nausea while taking Sandoz makes me think they're not telling me the truth. I had successfully taken Eon for 5 long years without a problem -- and then the very first day I switched to Sandoz, I had all the problems I just described. How can it be the same formula or manufacturer?

Quote:
go to this page see the header says "Sandoz" and "Eon Labs The Pharmacy Drug Company", like it's the same company, so Sandoz bought Eon Labs and now Eon Labs still manufactures Cholesytyramine, FOR Sandoz, just like Bristol Myers Squibb manufactures Questran for Par Pharmaceutical.
Yes, but we don't always know how old these "headers" are. You see, I actually spoke to several people at Sandoz and they told me, in no uncertain terms... "EON LABS DOES NOT EXIST ANYMORE!" Another man swore that the Sandoz manufacturing plant is the same one -- Laurelton, NY -- but my symptoms tell me different. The change from the positive Eon box of 5 years straight, to the new symptomatic Sandoz box is as different as night and day for me.

Quote:
Hey Joe, can u please help me find out the ingredients for Locholest (regular one, not Light version)
I'm unfamiliar with this, but I'll try... stay tuned...

Last edited by joe9; 08-18-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:34 PM   #7
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

Hey i just remembered there's an alternative: Colestid (Colestipol) another bile acid resin. Generic Colestipol (unflavored Granules and 1g tablets) exists by Global Pharmaceuticals.

A newer alternative exists Welchol (Colesevelam) another bile acid resin. This one comes in 625mg tablets only, but i've read it's much stronger than Cholestyramine and Colestid.

Maybe Colestipol doesn't give you as much flatulence, it has the same adverse reactions, constipation, flatulence. Colestid Granules is a 5g dose that contains 5g of Colestipol, no excipients, just pure Colestipol, unlike Cholestyramine, which is 9g dose containing 4g of Cholestyramine (5g of excipients).
You can find Colestid's package insert here:
[url]http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/********/uspi_colestid_os.pdf[/url]

One dose (1 packet or 1 level teaspoon) of COLESTID Granules contains 5 grams of colestipol hydrochloride.

One dose (1 packet or 1 level scoopful) of FLAVORED COLESTID Granules is approximately 7.5 grams which contains 5 grams of colestipol hydrochloride.This product also contains the
following inactive ingredients: aspartame, beta carotene, citric acid, flavor (natural and artificial), glycerine, maltol, mannitol, and methylcellulose.

I tried a Colestid packet when i had just returned home from the Clinic (Aug2001), but it was one that had expired 6 months ago (a doctor gave me 2 old samples packets. It doesn't exist here (Lima, PERU. No bile acid resin is available here. I have to get my Cholestyramine from the USA), probably discontinued since the mid 90s, maybe used used to be available here in the 90s and this sample was manufactured like in 1995), it worked excellent, stopped the bile salt diarrhea, but it gave me a headache. I would have to try it again. I never tried it cause i'd have to buy like a 30-packet box just to try it.

Last edited by Johnny1979; 08-19-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Hi. I've been taking Colestid for four weeks now (1 gram twice a day in tablet form) and it stopped the diarrhea entirely however, I still have a constant bubbling feeling in my stomach and sometimes a slight nausea sort of icky feeling. But it is not one tenth as bad as before. I had my gallbladder removed June 16th and had constant diarrhea afterwards. My scope showed that there is still a lot of bile in my stomach. I'm wondering if I upped my dose would the gassy, gurgly feeling subside? I'm very weak but then I was sick since the end of February and lost 40 pounds so my recovery is a bit longer than most I suspect. Thanks guys! Sophie

Old 08-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

Sophie or Joe, could please help me out i need to know the inactive ingredients of Locholest (plain version, not Light version), it's nowhere to be found on the internet, i looked up "locholest" on ******, there's a "Locholest resource site" [url]http://www.locholest.com/[/url] "Server Error. The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
JRun closed connection." but it's not working. The manufacturer Warner-Chilcott [url]http://www.warnerchilcott.com/contact.php[/url] doesn't have an email address, "For medical or product related questions, please call us at 1-800-521-8813 Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Eastern Standard Time." I live in Lima, Peru, U.S. 1-800 numbers can't be reached from outside the USA!! Could you please call and ask inactive ingredients of Locholest, and post it here for me?

Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

Sophie, 1g of Colestid twice a day is too little for starters with bile salt diarrhea! 1 dose/packet of Colestid is 5g, you can try just 1 5g packet/dose a day, first thing in the morning on empty stomach.
Also Colestid tablets is more expensive, i mean the price of 5 1g tablets vs. 1 dose/packet of 5g. The bottle of Colestid Granules (contains a scoop, you can try taking less than 1 full dose tos ee what's the minimum dose that you currently need, in time the body adapts, starts absorbing the bile salts and you need less medication daily, after some years of use you get a lot of flatulence, means you should lower the dose, cause it stops you from digesting fats) can be cheaper than the box with 5g packets.

Theres Colestid Granules and Colestid Flavored Granules, plain Colestid Granules is better cause it has no excipients no aspartame (can be diarrheical). A generic Colestipol also exists, might be cheaper.

Is this Colestid the first time you are taking a bile acid sequestrant? Were you using Cholestyramine since you left the hospital in June? Or you were just having the endless bile salt diarrhea until 4 weeks ago that you started taking Colestid??
The surgeon should have given you a prescription for Cholestyramine or Colestipol right after surgery. When i had the emergency intestinal resection (people with the end of the Ileum removed also have bile salt diarrhea, because the end of the Ileum is the part in charge of absorbing bile salts) in Jul2001 i left the Clinic with a prescription for Cholestyramine or Colestipol, which by the way, don't exist here, i have to buy them from the USA since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2007 View Post
Hi. I've been taking Colestid for four weeks now (1 gram twice a day in tablet form) and it stopped the diarrhea entirely however, I still have a constant bubbling feeling in my stomach and sometimes a slight nausea sort of icky feeling. But it is not one tenth as bad as before. I had my gallbladder removed June 16th and had constant diarrhea afterwards. My scope showed that there is still a lot of bile in my stomach. I'm wondering if I upped my dose would the gassy, gurgly feeling subside? I'm very weak but then I was sick since the end of February and lost 40 pounds so my recovery is a bit longer than most I suspect. Thanks guys! Sophie

Last edited by Johnny1979; 08-21-2007 at 03:45 PM.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:00 AM   #11
(male)

joe9 HB User

Johnny -- I've tried to search the internet for the information you need but I'm guessing I have found the same things you have.

I hope you find the specific information you're looking for.

I wanted to pop in to say that I have been feeling very good for the past 6 days on the Par brand of regular Cholestyramine, and my adverse reactions have pretty much disappeared. I started taking it on August 8th, and the uncomfortable side effects lingered until around August 18th, but I've been good since that day. So I am hoping that my system has now adjusted to the powder, and that I can resume living life again without thinking about this. My bile diarrhea is completely gone, and I only have to use the bathroom once or twice in the AM before getting on with my day. Just really great.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-24-2007 at 02:50 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM   #12
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Joe,

I checked a few and was unable to find what the inactive ingredients were.

Yes, this is the first time I was given a prescription of Colestid. I had the kind of surgeon who thought gallbladder removal was a walk in the park. It was the GI doc who put me on the Colestid. It has helped with the diarrhea almost 100%, but not the horrible empty, gurgling feeling in my stomach which is all day and makes me almost ill. I'd like to up the dose to see if it makes a difference but with the tablets I am sort of afriad to do so. Should these be taken on an empty stomach? I have an appointment with my doc on Sept. 7th. Do you think the powder is more effective than the tablets? Next time I am in the city I will look up locholest for you if you want. Hey, I bet that there is an online PDR. You could try that.
Thanks for the information...Sophie

Last edited by moderator2; 08-24-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #13
(female)

sophie2007 HB User

Johnny, do you think Colestid could be making me feel weak and nauseous? I've searched and have not found where it made anyone else feel this way. Thanks, Soph

Old 08-25-2007, 08:33 PM   #14
(female)

krooie HB User

I had my gall bladder removed in March of 2007. It took until August for my diarrhea problems related to bile dumping to begin. Now I feel I'm chained to the bathroom!

My doctor started me on 1 gm Colestid twice a day. Is this a high enough dosage to combat the endless diarrhea? I'm also taking Primal Defense probiotics and lomotil. I've been on these for almost 2 weeks, and nothing seems to be helping.

This problem is now ruling my life. I hate it. Someone please tell me that I can manage this and get on with a somewhat normal life!

Old 08-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #15
(male)

Johnny1979 HB User

No i think it's your not taking enough Colestipol daily, and the bile salts are giving you gastritis, which can give you nausea, Colestid tablets i think is more appropiate for just reducing cholesterol than for capturing bile salts in the kind of condition you are in after colecistectomy.
You should try Colestipol (Colestid, or generic) Granules, 1 dose is 5g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie2007 View Post
Johnny, do you think Colestid could be making me feel weak and nauseous? I've searched and have not found where it made anyone else feel this way. Thanks, Soph

Closed Thread