It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

mizzaj HB User
Smile Chiropractic Medicine for Digestive Problems

Hello All,

In a former post, What Do I Have had mentioned that he thought his digestive troubles might've been the result of a minor car accident. I then realized that my digestive problems started 2 1/2 weeks after my minor car accident-- and I had never had a digestive problem to speak of before. Apparently, many of the nerves in the back and spinal chord innervate the nerves that regulate digestion. I'm starting to wonder if it's a good possibility that my car accident has been the cause of my symptoms.

I've been seeing an acupuncturist for 4 months and am taking a lot of herbs. It seems to help a bit, but not that much. When I told my acupuncturist my theory about the car accident and the digestive problems, she seemed to agree that it could be a factor. She referred me to a chiropracticor in her office, and I'm going for the first time this Friday.

After doing some research on the subject, I saw that digestive problems are often an unnoticed consequence of car accidents. I've never had chiropractice adjustments done, but from what I read, it seems like they can be helpful for things like digestive problems (regardless of what the original cause of the digestive problems are).

Just wondering if anyone has tried chiropractic adjustments, and if they've had any affect on their digestive problems. Please share if you've had any experience with this...thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 02:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: Chiropractic Medicine for Digestive Problems

I have had chiropractic adjustments and didn't find relief for similar problems. What helped me was eliminating the foods that caused my digestive problems. However you were in a car accident and if your problems are related to that, then perhaps chiropractic techniques will work for you. Good luck. By the way I never had digestive problems until recently and I presume they came due to aging. Not knowing how old you are, could this be the case and just a coincidence that you are feeling as you do now? Our bodies change as we get older and what we could eat and digest a few years ago may not be as digestable to our bodies now. What do you think?

Old 08-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom View Post
I have had chiropractic adjustments and didn't find relief for similar problems. What helped me was eliminating the foods that caused my digestive problems. However you were in a car accident and if your problems are related to that, then perhaps chiropractic techniques will work for you. Good luck. By the way I never had digestive problems until recently and I presume they came due to aging. Not knowing how old you are, could this be the case and just a coincidence that you are feeling as you do now? Our bodies change as we get older and what we could eat and digest a few years ago may not be as digestable to our bodies now. What do you think?
Hi lolasmom!

Thanks for your reply! When you went to the chiropractor, did you go specifically for digestive problems, or other problems? I have definitely eliminated the foods that were causing me problems before. I eat low fat, small frequent meals, etc. But I still get occasional nausea, I get full very quickly and heartburn. So the diet has probably helped some, but I wouldn't consider myself "cured" by any stretch of the imagination. Plus, the doctors can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I was found to have microgallstones in my gall bladder, but the GI doc I had said he didn't think my symptoms were related to that.

Anyway, I'm 32 years old, so while it's possible that this is just a result of aging, I really don't think so. Especially because nobody in my family has had similar problems when they were my age, or even now.

I went to the chiropractor on Friday, and she said the my spine was really stiff and "messed up". I should be surprised about that b/c I've always had a bad back to some extent. She pressed on a certain place at the bottom of my rib cage and asked if I felt pain-- which I did. She said that point was related to digestion. So I dunno. I'll keep going and see what happens. If nothing happens, at least things wouldn't be any different than they are now. Oy vey!!

Old 08-22-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

mizzaj - I would be surprised if someone went to a chiropractor and he said all was well with them and that their spine aligned correctly. I only would see a chiropractor because of pain especially in the back area. I wouldn't go just for "good" health because I don't believe they can do anything for that. I recently had an episode of severe back pain before a planned vacation and I went to the chiropractor - and he used heat - a machine that felt like pins and needles on the area and ultrasound. It obviously worked on me because my pain lessened. When I went to a chiropractor just for seeing if it could help my overall health I mentioned my stomach issues and he said he could help but I am not so sure it was he who did help. Diet adjustment helped me. That's my thoughts. He pressed on an area he said was near a possible hiatal hernia and now that I saw/felt what he did, I can do it myself. So I am not sure about chiros. Whatever - and yes, oi vey!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
(female)

mizzaj HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolasmom View Post
mizzaj - I would be surprised if someone went to a chiropractor and he said all was well with them and that their spine aligned correctly. I only would see a chiropractor because of pain especially in the back area. I wouldn't go just for "good" health because I don't believe they can do anything for that. I recently had an episode of severe back pain before a planned vacation and I went to the chiropractor - and he used heat - a machine that felt like pins and needles on the area and ultrasound. It obviously worked on me because my pain lessened. When I went to a chiropractor just for seeing if it could help my overall health I mentioned my stomach issues and he said he could help but I am not so sure it was he who did help. Diet adjustment helped me. That's my thoughts. He pressed on an area he said was near a possible hiatal hernia and now that I saw/felt what he did, I can do it myself. So I am not sure about chiros. Whatever - and yes, oi vey!
Yes, I've joked about that with several friends-- even my mom pointed it out. What are they going to say? "Oh, your spine is fine, you don't need to come back here..." I guess I'm just curious to see if it will do anything because of the possible connection between the car accident and when my digestive problems started.

I already know I have a small, sliding hiatal hernia. And I've heard about how people can do some sort of adjusting on their own to relieve any issues that might be causing.

I think I am just at my wit's end. I changed my diet over 6 months ago, and it's helped some, but not enough for my satisfaction. And the doctors are so dismissive and don't seem to want anything to do with me since they can't figure anything out. That's why I've sought alternative treatments. I have to feel like I'm doing SOMETHING! So taking herbs, seeing an acupuncturist, meditating-- those are all things I'm doing, in addition to dietary changes, to feel like I can relieve the problems on my own without the help of the docs, who quite frankly, seem useless to me.....

Thanks for your advice!

Closed Thread