It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

lourash HB User
sick after barium swallow

My husband had his barium swallow this morning and it took 1 hour and 45 minutes. They kept having him get up and walk around to get things moving. They finished at 11:00 and they had the report written and typed within 2 hours. I just wondered how many of you that had that test felt sick after drinking the barium and then felt horrible for a few hours after ?? I wonder if that means the results will show something.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User
Re: sick after barium swallow

Had it done yesterday. I felt like crap afterwards. Not sure if it was caused from that though. I feel like I've got the flu - just really blah. My test was negative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 03:17 PM   #3
(male)

Eddie1366 HB User

haha i have to get mine done tommrrow morning. now im scared

Old 08-16-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
(female)

lourash HB User

since your test was negative what will they do now ??? I am just so surprised hubbys was normal it did not even show his reflux which we know he has because of a ph study and endoscopy. We are giving up hope that they will fix his belly. Maybe it is really his gallbladder since it took so long to empty into the small intestine.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

I don't really know. My barium was normal - my hida scan was iffy because it caused pain. I have to go back next week. I also have a uti so it might be a kidney infection with me. If I get any info I'll pass it on to you. Have a great day!

Eddie - There was nothing to the barium swallow. It doesn't taste all that bad. It doesn't hurt. The test itself is nothing. You just drink a sip of barium and then the doc does an xray. Then you drink a barium pill and he watches how that goes down. Then they give you an alquseltzer tasting medicine. It does nothing but make you feel like you have to burp. I thin I'm just sick.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

lourash HB User

My husbands hida scan caused pain too. Did you have a slow emptyting time from your gallbaldder or did you have a low function rate??? He had his barium test this morning and his stomach still hurts.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

B143C HB User

All my numbers were normal actually. It was kind of weird. I had the pain and nausea - but my ejection fraction was good. It took an hour for my gb to show up. I read somewhere online - don't know if it's true - that the CCK injection will cause pain and nausea in anyone. I'm going to ask my doctor that on Monday. I don't want to have anything removed if they aren't sure that's what is causing the pain. I've heard that the colon wraps up around that way too. Have you guys looked into that. I was wondering mine might be colon related.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #8
(female)

Sinopa2 HB User

Hey lourash - have they thought about gastroparesis? I don't know, maybe there are lots of reasons why barium would move slowly, but that happened to me a few years back and that's what tipped the doctors off about my gastroparesis.

It makes me feel sick, too - I feel like I've got a belly full of cement! I had one two days ago, still feeling not so good...

Hope they figure something out for you husband!

Old 08-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
(female)

lourash HB User

what is the gastroperisos you mentioned (sorry for the spelling) and how do they diagnose it ?? Also the barium swallow said no sign of hiatal hernia or reflux which we know he has due to the endoscopy and the ph probe study he had. So why didn't the swallow see it???? Is the endoscopy better than the barium swallow since it looks directly inside ????

Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #10
(female)

Sinopa2 HB User

Hey lourash - I don't think I'll be much help about reflux - sorry! I'd say trust the endoscopy, though; color pictures have got to be better than just an x-ray.

The big test for gastroparesis is a gastric emptying study. I think hospitals might do it in a couple different ways, but mine gave me an egg salad sandwich made with a radioactive egg - it shows up on a scan (they check several times over one or two hours, typically) and they can set a rate to how quickly the stomach empties. If it's too slow, then that's gastroparesis. It makes you feel plenty sick - after eating, or just in general!

Let us know how it goes! I hope your husband can get in for an emptying study - my doctor at the barium swallow pretty much handed me a gp diagnosis right there. I really hope something works out!

Closed Thread