It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Digestive Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2007, 08:02 PM   #1
(female)

FarmGirl31 HB UserFarmGirl31 HB User
Severe gas and trouble breathing

I get very, very bloated sometimes... like looking 9 months pregnant bloating. I have a stomach problem called Gastroparesis which means the stomach doesnt empty its contents very quickly (or well) so at least I know I have that problem and I think this causes me to bloat up.

My issue is that at times the bloating is so severe -- 9 months pregnant bloating as I've said -- with distended abdomen and all, that I also have some serious trouble breathing. I CAN breathe... just it seems to take some effort on my part. My understanding is that the stomach is so bloated with air/intestines with air, also, that it pushes against the diaphragm muscle. But I can't DIE from this, right? I never have in the years Ive had this problem (on and off for 6 years at least) but once in awhile I feel seriously anxious, like what if? I wont be able to take in a breathe at all?? I cant take a DEEP one.... which is scary at times... but I can breathe, I can get air in.... just feels shallow.

I admit I abuse alcohol and that really aggravates this problem.... but does anyone know, or can anyone please reassure me, that I cannot die from severe bloating? That the bloat and trapped air/gas wont ever get so bad that I cant breathe at all??

I intend to ask my doctor when I see her later this month but the distress this issue causes me is very great when it happens (like almost all day today, and right now!). It is very, very uncomfortable. I need some peace of mind...
For the record, Ive never passed out.... or had severe pain or anything else.
But the bloating can be so bad that I am breathing with effort as I stated and also feel muscle pain in my neck and/or an arm due to, I think, the effort I am taking to breathe. I have a hard time relaxing on top of this... meaning I worry a lot and am not an extremely calm person, which makes this worse. I am very introverted, also very aware of my body and what its doing, now Im feeling, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

I pray God heals me of the Gastroparesis...

Peace,

FarmGirl31

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
(female)

Texas Tomato HB User
Re: Severe gas and trouble breathing

Hi, FarmGirl --

I haven't been diagnosed with gastroparesis, but just wanted to commiserate about the shortness of breath from bloat. I have the same symptoms. I have found that if I press on my stomach sometimes when I'm at my most desperate, I can get a good deep breath. I think I'm "displacing" the bloat to make room for my lungs and diaphragm to expand. Also taking Pepto Bismol after a meal gives me some relief.

Just wanted you to know you're not alone in these anxieties.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
(female)

Texas,

Thanks very much for your post.... i do tend to feel im the only one when this flares up very severely and it does help to hear someone else has the breathing prob thing at times too.

Yes u know, i have noticed that too.... if I suck in or push hard on the gut/stomach that is protruding so massively, it ironically brings mild relief (u would think the opposite or that it woudl hurt). Once i put on like a back brace thing i used to wear in an effort to "smoosh" my gut in and that did help a little.....

I get a little panicky sometimes when it happens tho, wondering "what if??"... like what if the bloat and gas builds up so badly that my lungs really CANT expand? ?

It isnt fleeting when this happens to me either, it lasts an entire day usually. LIke yesterday... i went to bed that way and by the time i wake up, it is usually much better or gone.

Thanks again for sharing!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
(female)

wv_lady_us HB User

I have this same problem. I bloat and I cannot breath. Ive been seeing a gastro doc for over 4 years and had many tests, but still this thing never truly goes away. I felt so good yesterday and thought by taking some magnesium oxide pills that I had helped my problem, but today I still have the bloating and upper right side mild pains and I have those scary thoughts that the medical tests have overlooked something and it could be lethal and kill me one day. I have took all kinds of medications for IBS and nothing really helps except to stay away from fast food and fatty foods and spicy foods and I don't think milk agrees with me. Its an awful thing to live with for sure and hope you find the answer some day. bj

Old 08-20-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
(female)

Oh, i have read that activated charcoal can help this.... that it works by absorbing the gas.... i havent tried it yet....

can u go out to a drugstore and get some? ?

There is something called Charcocaps... i cant swallow pills tho so is why i havent tried those... I believe u can buy Activated charcoal off the Net if there is no store near u that carries it.

About the trouble breathing... youve never NOT been able to breathe at all tho, right? Did u ask your doctor about that?
Just trouble (as if that isnt bad enough)... trouble breathing... but u CAN still breathe.... there is no danger that one day u can not be able to breathe... or breathe enough to live...?

yes this is a messed up thing and really freaks me out when it happens...

Ever tried a colon cleanse? BEen tested or treated for Candida (a health food store person will be able to help u with that... an MD would laugh at the idea)?

Old 08-29-2007, 03:58 AM   #6
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

I had the same stomach bloating & breathing difficulties problem . On & Off last 2 yrs to different doctors but had not been able to " Fix It " yet . Just maybe eat smaller meals & exercise ( I am not overweight or anything like that ) might help a little . But still there were times when the bloating and shortness of breath had been so severe I almost had gotten myself to a hospital 's ER ; and then I found myself thinking less about it and seemed to be able to deal with it till next day or next several hours .

Last edited by SpicyT9; 08-29-2007 at 04:16 AM.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #7
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Chewing gum also makes you swallow alot of air. I hate chewing it now because I'm so concious of every swallow.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
(female)

peacefrog HB User

My first post didn't come up, so I'll redo it. I had a temp colostomy recently and saw the pouch ballon up with air after drinking soda and when drinking with a straw. Try to avoid the usual gassy foods, and pop, straws, and gum as I mentioned below.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpicyT9 View Post
I had the same stomach bloating & breathing difficulties problem . On & Off last 2 yrs to different doctors but had not been able to " Fix It " yet . Just maybe eat smaller meals & exercise ( I am not overweight or anything like that ) might help a little . But still there were times when the bloating and shortness of breath had been so severe I almost had gotten myself to a hospital 's ER ; and then I found myself thinking less about it and seemed to be able to deal with it till next day or next several hours .
Wow, you can really relate to what I shared. Did u ever go to the ER ever though?
Did you ask your doctor if it is possible to stop breathing due to this? SHOULD one with this problem ever go to the emergency room or is it something one must "grin and bear"? I am afraid of dying when it gets as bad as you've described.... that feeling of having trouble breathing is just AWFUL.

I did notice if I distract myself when its happening, rather than sit or lay down and focus solely on IT, helps. I just had an "episode" last Friday and almost panicked while at work because I felt I was having great trouble breathing. It truly is frightening.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
(female)

I had a severe bout again last night, after I drank about 1.5 beers. Extremely bloated stomach with great trouble breathing. I was really frightened for severasl minutes that i could possibly die, that i would actually not be able to breathe anymore. In desperation, I took a mild tranquilizer, about 1 mg.... and it took some time but i was able to relax and not be AS upset about the sensation of having great trouble breathing.

I tried talking to myself, walking around, praying, talking aloud... but still felt the heaviness in my abdomen and had trouble talking or breathing. I mean, I CAN breathe, just not very freely... there is a huge balloon (it feels like) in my stomach or something.... and NOTHING helpes when this happens. I cant eat or drink cuz I already feel like my gut is about to explode. So I took the tranquilizer and tried to relax my mind... because i tend to panic.... i am already a nervous kind of person, "jumpy".... In about 2 hours, I felt better.. burped a few times... I think I was just a lot more relaxed with the medication I took, so I was not AS freaked out over the sensation of not being able to breathe very well.

As usual, I woke up in the morning with all this gone.... a little bloated but nothing like what it was.

Can I die when this happens?? I thought to go to the ER but it was Halloween adn also I was afraid to drive myself.... what can they do for a severely bloated gut/stomach that intereferes with breathing? WOuld they just give me Gas-X or something adn send me home?

I am starting to live in fear of these "episiodes" though I do feel I brought this one on myself for drinking beer... but I mean STLL. Noone deserve to go thru hell for a drink or what they ate.. not like what I experience anyway.

Any help??

Old 11-26-2007, 03:30 AM   #11
(male)

SpicyT9 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmGirl31 View Post
Wow, you can really relate to what I shared. Did u ever go to the ER ever though?
Did you ask your doctor if it is possible to stop breathing due to this? SHOULD one with this problem ever go to the emergency room or is it something one must "grin and bear"? I am afraid of dying when it gets as bad as you've described.... that feeling of having trouble breathing is just AWFUL.

I did notice if I distract myself when its happening, rather than sit or lay down and focus solely on IT, helps. I just had an "episode" last Friday and almost panicked while at work because I felt I was having great trouble breathing. It truly is frightening.
Not ever yet ( to the ER ) ! I mean by the time I get into the car and drive for several minutes , things would get better . Even slight improvement would calm me down .
I have never asked any doctor that question .
Last 2 weeks I had quite severe episodes and had been to the doctors . First one checked me out and sent me home : couldn't see anything wrong with me , he gave me some advices on eating & exercises which I already knew . Second doctor had been better : she prescribed Nexium . That's it ! She told me some of the problems had probably been in my mind .
And today after 5 days of Nexium I developed diarrhea and had some stomach discomfort , but my condition of bloating & shortness of breath had improved quite a bit . I will stop the PPI because of stomach pain & diarrhea though .

Closed Thread